PDA

View Full Version : Holding bating hawk

Dave G
22-01-2006, 10:27 AM
after reading mintys thread on ratz broken leg there was a few posts on holding of the jesses when bating, who holds both jesses when the bird bated and who holds just the one jesse when the bird bates ,ive been told its safe to hold just the one jesse as the bird is then able to spin around as one legs free to help it return to the fist ??? me ive always held both jesses and think this is much safer as then both legs have the same amount of pressure on them ,as to holding just the one jesse all the bird weight is on the one leg ??

Blaze
22-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Id agree with you.....Surely just holding the 1 jesse is gona cause a lot of pressure and stress on the 1 leg!.....Ask Minty im sure he will put us all in the right direction! :yawinkle:

Becky
22-01-2006, 10:46 AM
I've always held both too,agree with you both

AndyYounger
22-01-2006, 10:49 AM
surley if you are holding the bird in the correct safety position(assuming it is tethered to the glove) then you shouldnt have any choice.

Takajo
22-01-2006, 10:56 AM
surley if you are holding the bird in the correct safety position(assuming it is tethered to the glove) then you shouldnt have any choice.
I think they mean when the swivel's off. If the hawk's bating and you've only got one leg, the other may try and crawl up your arm. I hate when that happens.

AndyYounger
22-01-2006, 11:07 AM
i would have thaught that as well but seem to remember that ratz wasnt at the stage of training to be let loose.
i may be wrong but i do remember reading that.

Takajo
22-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Ratz needs a sort of "raptor cast" for its leg. I'd like to sign it...

Sean
22-01-2006, 11:50 AM
i hold with both jesses, as it shares the weight, instead of it all being on one leg

Kanati
22-01-2006, 12:08 PM
i hold both. I have had bates where I have only had hold of one jess and the hawks held leg has had all the hawks weight on it and at slightly un natural angles (like its doing the splits) I think it must be better to spread the weight over both legs and stop the legs flailing about which could cause muscle injury etc. Hold the jesses so there is as much freedom for the hawk as pos and there is never any trouble regaining the fist.

MickeyDredd
22-01-2006, 01:48 PM
I think they mean when the swivel's off.

The safety position is irrespective of whether the swivel is attached, it is the means of holding BOTH jesses threaded between the gloved fingers to stop the bird flying away.

Finnish
22-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I always hold both agree with MD:supz:

Palmer
22-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Yea i agree it must share the force of the bird baiting if you are holding it by to legs.

Renton
22-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I always hold both agree with MD:supz:

Exactly! What is the point of having two jesses on the bird and only holding onto one of them?

Puzo
22-01-2006, 05:52 PM
You should allways hold both jess's.I can't believe any one would advise
holding a bird by one leg. It could end with a spiral fracture or dislocated
hip joint. Think about the dynamics.:confused:

Tim Laycock
22-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Ever seen a notable author write that he advocates the holding of one jesse during a bate because its better than holding two?

No!

Wonder why this might be? :rolleyes:

Puzo
22-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Ever seen a notable author write that he advocates the holding of one jesse during a bate because its better than holding two?

No!

Wonder why this might be? :rolleyes:

SAYS IT ALL REALY. dunnit

Albie
22-01-2006, 07:36 PM
A hard lesson learned is to not hold a bird in the "SAFETY POSITION" AND LOOSE SAID BIRD.
How would you then feel to loose someone else's bird..
The other Hard lesson learned is holding the bird the wrong way by one Jess and if the bird dos'nt hurt its self, it certainly will hurt you if it panics and comes up and grips you anywhere it likes with that extra bit of freedom from your gloved hand!! OUCH..
aLBIE..

BlackShaheen1
22-01-2006, 07:53 PM
i always get the jesses together as soon as pos and get them into safty straight away .

Takajo
23-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Also make sure yer glove can actually hold the jesses. Even in the safety pos, they can slide out easily if the swivel isn't on.

Tim Laycock
23-01-2006, 12:26 AM
SAYS IT ALL REALY. dunnit

I try my very best :wink: