PDA

View Full Version : harris hawk x red tail???

Jackson
14-02-2006, 03:36 PM
ok i dont know if theres been a thread on this. i had a quick look and couldnt find one, so here goes!
has any one ever heard of a red tail hawk hybridised with a harris hawk??
its just i remember someone who used to work with me at a centre talking about it! and wondered if it had been done and if so what are the birds like? is it successful? what are the benefits and downsides of it??

harris and a red tail cross mmmm sounds interesting???

Rapt0r
14-02-2006, 03:40 PM
i have heard of a few harris / redtail hybrids....they tend not to live very long and some have deformaties.
there was an article in the 'Austringer' last year (maybe the year before)

they sound like a cracking combination so long as you dont have the bad traits from both birds (not that hh's have any!)

Alex

World.Hunters
14-02-2006, 04:07 PM
not 100% sure but i think i read sumet that sed they die as young as 10 days

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 04:11 PM
not 100% sure but i think i read sumet that sed they die as young as 10 days
Thats Harris/Gos not Harris/Red. Yes they have been bred god only knows why. What do you gain, sweet F.A.

Jackson
14-02-2006, 04:13 PM
if they have been successfully bred does anyone know:
where?
when?
and any pics would help too!!!
fanks

Rapt0r
14-02-2006, 04:18 PM
here you go:

Jackson
14-02-2006, 04:22 PM
they look nice! is that oyur bird or jus a random pic you found?
if you do fly them, what are they like to train ect??

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 04:24 PM
If it is your bird whack some anklets on it that fit!

Rapt0r
14-02-2006, 04:26 PM
not my bird....just scoured the net for a pic.
good job i'm not too busy at work.

Jackson
14-02-2006, 04:28 PM
not my bird....just scoured the net for a pic.
good job i'm not too busy at work.

ok. fanks for the pics!!!!
if anyone else has information on them or pics??????????

BlackShaheen1
14-02-2006, 04:30 PM
any one goy any pictures of a ferru tail they are nice looking birds

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 04:33 PM
They were bred this year at the New Forest Owl sanctuary. Sold for stupid money to people who want to play with something different. They came about by accident as a dividing wall blew down between the parent birds in a gale. So they left them together. Sounds like they build real quality pens dosent it?

Jackson
14-02-2006, 04:33 PM
i have a pic but will get it on later for you - they are very nice

W Jenkins
14-02-2006, 04:35 PM
You will probaly find that it is also Harris/redtail and it was a chap called Giles from down your neck of the wood that was just recently selling a female and a male (his quote you are getting the mentality of the hh and the balls/power of the rt and for the price he was asking for them i would be looking for a f****ng talking one at that 1800 for the female and 1600 for the male apparently was a freak of nature) but your right wheres the sence in it i personally would spend my money on a finnish gos female.

Wullie

BlackShaheen1
14-02-2006, 04:43 PM
You will probaly find that it is also Harris/redtail and it was a chap called Giles from down your neck of the wood that was just recently selling a female and a male (his quote you are getting the mentality of the hh and the balls/power of the rt and for the price he was asking for them i would be looking for a f****ng talking one at that 1800 for the female and 1600 for the male apparently was a freak of nature) but your right wheres the sence in it i personally would spend my money on a finnish gos female.

Wullie
harrisis used to cost that mutch

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Id put it in my female Golden fund.

Jackson
14-02-2006, 06:10 PM

Wullie

wow thats a lot of money! maybe i wont have one of those then! i was interested because i cant decide between a hh or rt but now i think ill have one or the other LOL

Jackson
14-02-2006, 06:11 PM
so has anyone ever had one, trained one or flown one?? or are they not so common???

NGuruve
14-02-2006, 06:16 PM
i worked at the owl sanctury where they were breed and only ever saw a female that i have to say was incredibaly aggresive but aparently was amazing hunter from what giles told me and they bred naturally when the red tailed hawk broke into the male harrises cage and didnt kill him so they bred which is pretty cool
and yes were way over priced

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 06:54 PM
i worked at the owl sanctury where they were breed and only ever saw a female that i have to say was incredibaly aggresive but aparently was amazing hunter from what giles told me and they bred naturally when the red tailed hawk broke into the male harrises cage and didnt kill him so they bred which is pretty cool
and yes were way over priced
Its not pretty cool that they bred. Its a pointless hybrid used to publisize a troubled centre.

Fawkes
14-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Heres a HarrisX harlans that some one had at the latest BCFA meet - weird bird to look at - total RT face, colour and feet, but the shape was all Harris - mind you, huge harris. The fellow is still training it, so not sure how the hunting goes.

NGuruve
14-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Its not pretty cool that they bred. Its a pointless hybrid used to publisize a troubled centre.
well i think that its a intresting hybrid so each to there own
just a shame that they haveso many problems

James_Falconry1
14-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Just thinking about this. If you want something better than a haris and better than a red-tail, then fly a Gos and not try to glue 2 birds together, just think how easy it is to get the bad traits from 1 or both parent birds.

I dont get it you can hunt rabits with both phessey's if ur lucky with both and the bits in btween so to get a better bird or somthyn that can fly more phessy's or rabits or even a hare down buy a gos an learn to use it.

For beginers mayb they want the ultimate first so they could be attracted to it, but whats wrong with starting off small and working for the ultimate and not getting it until u kno you can do it justice.

Jimmy

NGuruve
14-02-2006, 07:16 PM
totally agree but the hybrid at theowl sanctuary was a complete freak acident so there is no harm in finding out how hey perform and obviously it isnt a gd mix so thats the answer

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 07:35 PM
well i think that its a intresting hybrid so each to there own
just a shame that they haveso many problems
That is biology saying "Dont be STUPID"

NGuruve
14-02-2006, 08:28 PM
That is biology saying "Dont be STUPID"
haha yer well now we know but im sure people will still try to make this hybrid i mean just look at the gos/buzzard

Joey
14-02-2006, 08:39 PM
i ve seen a gosxspar what a bird just looks like a european gos just darker but the give away its got spar in it is the huge middle toe. the man that had it sed its take all feather game and rabbits. a friend of mine has had a harris xgos its was a top hawk very placid like a harris

Pogger
14-02-2006, 08:42 PM
i ve seen a gosxspar what a bird just looks like a european gos just darker but the give away its got spar in it is the huge middle toe. the man that had it sed its take all feather game and rabbits. a friend of mine has had a harris xgos its was a top hawk very placid like a harris

I realise this sounds like a silly question but are you sure it was a "harris x gos" ?

Pogger
14-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm only asking because I didn't think anyone has managed to produce one yet.

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
14-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I was led to beleive that they all die very soon after hatch or during incubation.

Pogger
14-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Yes, that's what I've heard also.

Jackson
14-02-2006, 09:51 PM
im not really into a gos! i just prefered the hh and begging to like the sound of the rts and remembered what this guy had told me! its doesnt seem like a good idea tho....ill have to do some more thinking on it!

Sparkes
15-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Can't see what the fuss is all about, Falconers have been 'hybridizing' there birds for years and that seems to be acceptable... I've seen a RT/HH hybrid flying and hunting with no probs at all, cracking little bird too.. So I say 'each to there own'.. I'd definately have one.. ! !

Jackson
15-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Can't see what the fuss is all about, Falconers have been 'hybridizing' there birds for years and that seems to be acceptable... I've seen a RT/HH hybrid flying and hunting with no probs at all, cracking little bird too.. So I say 'each to there own'.. I'd definately have one.. ! !

how easy was it train?
was it expensive as people are making out?
and anypics would be great