PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lure do you use?

Puzo
14-03-2006, 12:16 AM
What kind of lures do people use? Has anyone used the featherd lures described by Frank Beebe? I get sick of changing cruddy wings every time the lure gets wet, even if I don't put meat on the lure it's still a potential cause of infection!

OutFlying
14-03-2006, 12:17 AM
do you need wings on a lure ?

Puzo
14-03-2006, 12:22 AM
do you need wings on a lure ?

Probably not, but it's got to be more natural than a flourescent pad. Surely the bird is more likely to respond to something, at least at the start, if it looks natural & provokes the chase response.

OutFlying
14-03-2006, 12:24 AM
I was thinking on the lines of a recall aid - hence no wings.

Are you using one to train for pursuit etc. ?

Jim.

Puzo
14-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Yes I was ,out of the hood at rooks crows. I was reading through Beebe's book. It had a feathered lure & I was wondering if anyone had used one. I want something thats of use over long distance.

OutFlying
14-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I know Doug Pineo makes a winged shaped lure - without needing real wings.

But it looked awful, I've seen others attempt bird shaped lures out of leather - not sure a falcon or hawk would be fooled by this alone.

Tim Laycock
14-03-2006, 12:39 AM
I use an leather pad for recalls and when times are desperate :oops: ............

I carry a frozen pheasant, it stays in a separate bag in the freezer and is just thrown back in when I get home.

at the end of the season its thrown in the bin.

Perhaps not ideal for swinging though :lol:

OutFlying
14-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Doug Pineo Lure from earlier thread -

http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8017

Puzo
14-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I know Doug Pineo makes a winged shaped lure - without needing real wings.

But it looked awful, I've seen others attempt bird shaped lures out of leather - not sure a falcon or hawk would be fooled by this alone.

Like some salmon flys that catch more fishermen than fish. I've seen one that looked like a mini rugby ball with leather flaps that stuck out the sides & made a noise when swung round. At the end of the day the wings probably do more for my confidence than the bird, I've brought her down to a glove on the end of a dog lead when I've lost the lure.

IAmTheWeasel
14-03-2006, 12:53 AM
My theory is that anything can be used as a lure. I know folks that use tennis balls, old gloves and even one bloke that used a bright green cat toy. As long as the bird knows it will get fed off of it, they will come to it. It does not need to look realistic as it is only us humans we fool with this, not the steely eyed birds. As I have written before, it is on the same lines as dog treats that look like bacon. More for the human than the dog......My dog eats kitty litter treats, so I doubt that he is too concerned with the look of his puppy treats. JHMO
Weasel

OutFlying
14-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I stopped using wings on the lure when used with an imprint - it was impossible to get them off until every feather was plucked.

Now I ingrain the lure from very early stages without any wings and then later with little or no meat - I don't think it matters as long a pattern is developed i.e swing lure then a reward will be offered, the hawk doesn't mind if the reward is taken off the pad or glove but it does know it will be rewarded.

Puzo
14-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Doug Pineo Lure from earlier thread -

http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8017

Looks more like a bird scarer.

OutFlying
14-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Agree

UKJay's Nursey
14-03-2006, 01:27 AM
My theory is that anything can be used as a lure. I know folks that use tennis balls, old gloves and even one bloke that used a bright green cat toy. As long as the bird knows it will get fed off of it, they will come to it. It does not need to look realistic as it is only us humans we fool with this, not the steely eyed birds. As I have written before, it is on the same lines as dog treats that look like bacon. More for the human than the dog......My dog eats kitty litter treats, so I doubt that he is too concerned with the look of his puppy treats. JHMO
Weasel

agree with ya there weasel when pyscho was training he seemed very interested in a red and white hair bobble i used to wear and would/still try and get to it, even when he got taken off a few backs back i asked jay to take my bobble as i knew he could recognise it in the hope it would help lure him back.
i reckon you could tie a couple of socks to a lure and a bird would come back if they knew it had food on:lol:

Jay
14-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I just use this leather pad with what ever i have laying around. I use a zip tie to fasten. One the bird learns this means a good crop they will come any distance for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/hazardpaintball2/lure.jpg

Saker-Clive
14-03-2006, 08:59 AM
I make my own and have done for over a year now; I have sold nearly 200 on here and Ebay and a local centre uses them............................but at the end of the day, as stated earlier anything couldbe used. As long as the bird has the association with food and 'it' ,then use what ever you want.;-)

Osiris
14-03-2006, 09:03 AM
just use a normal padded lure. or if you want, use just wings with the food for weight....

BFC 007
14-03-2006, 09:06 AM
if your after crows with your bird then just replace the wings after each kill

As The Falcon Her Bells
14-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I agree with you there weasel, I only ever used featherd lures before the bird is enterd (ie crow wings on crow hawk, gull wings on gull hawk etc.) but now I only use padded lures, so much more hygenic. I use the Martyn Jones ones, just tie a quail wing or leave some rabbit fur on the meat if I want the bird to have a "speciall" treat and let them sit and pluck for a while. I clean the lure with F-10 regulary.