PDA

View Full Version : Vaseline?

Jackson
04-05-2006, 08:44 AM
does anyone use vaseline (sorry bout spelling) on their leather?
just i was practising making my jesses and realised i had no leather greese (ben long stuff) so thought well how would vaseline work? its probably stupid question but i was just wondering?i put it on a **** jess i mucked up and it came out darker and seemed more water proof so to speak!

any thoughts?

BlackShaheen1
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
i think it might be poisonus to birds thats why they dont use it cos its petrol based leather dressing will do you dont need expensive greases n stuf i use hydrophane from any horsy shop it only costs about a fiver and it will last you about 5 years hope this helps

Turumti
04-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I prefer olive oil. It gets soaked up by the leather real quick and it doesnt attract dust Vaseline and mink oil do.

DeathFromAbove
04-05-2006, 09:09 AM
why not just get some ko cho line? works a treat.

PDF
04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
vaseline/unscented petroleum jelly was recommended to me when I got my first glove as a cheaper alternative to ko cho line. In the original patent for vaseline one of the uses was specified as leather treatment.

As for toxicity, I have seen several references to its use as a treatment for leg mites - so I don't think it is poisonous to birds. I've also seen it recommended as a treatment to nest boxes to prevent wasps attaching nests.

Hells99
04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
always use it on my glove, not too heavy and soaks in well.

Jackson
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
some mixed responses but cheers guys! gonna do bit more research! i wondered if it would be toxic/poisonous to the birds!?!!?

Afshimo
04-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I use it not for leather but on birds feet, after cleaning, only once a month or so but just keeps them in good working order. A mate told me and I still do it with some birds.

Saker-Clive
04-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Sarah I got abot a dozen tins of Ko Cho Line if you want any!!!!

CJ#HaRrIs HAwKs RuLe#
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't think its poisonus to birds.

a book on keeping chickens recomened putting vasaline on there wattles in cold weather

Jackson
04-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Sarah I got abot a dozen tins of Ko Cho Line if you want any!!!!

realy?? id love some!! my leathers not bad but its not treated and just by putting the vaseline on i got huge improvement!!!

Venividevenatio
07-05-2006, 07:28 AM
In addition to valid comments above, perhaps using propriety leather preservers is best, that is what they were invented for!
Leathers worst enemies are heat and water, and combined, usualy result in leather going hard and unusable. So after cleaning glove etc, dry in a warm airy place, and avoid dirrect radiation from fires etc. If in a hurry, the CAREFUL use of a hair dryer on a low to med heat setting is OK. Keep the leather and hairdryer moving, so that no one area gets to hot. When dry and warm, a proscribed leather care products will be taken up readily. ( applies particularly to Neatsfoot and Ko Cho Line)
Please be aware that leathers are tanned and curried in different ways, according to their use. Saddlery leathers generaly allow passage of air and water, and preserving compounds from both sides. Other leathers (and usualy cheaper) are often 'Case Finished'. This provides a semi proofing to above, BUT can only be 'fed' from the grain side. (see below) Examples would be leather used in shoes, clothes and furniture. Also these leathers do not have the same strength and flexibility, weight for weight. The best raw hides are selected for turning into saddlery leathers.
On a similir subject, and touched upon by Tumuruti above......leather care products and vaseline etc in particular, will attract grit. If Aylmeri have been fitted so that grain side (shiny, smart side) is outwards, the flesh side (suede like) is aginst the birds skin, and may well be acting like emery paper!!
Hope this has been useful and of interest.

Saker-Clive
07-05-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm taking you a tin up to the centre today:rolleyes: :supz:

Jackson
07-05-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm taking you a tin up to the centre today:rolleyes: :supz:

cheers!!! :D
hope you have good day!!! hope it dont rain like it did all day yesterday :-x

CJ#HaRrIs HAwKs RuLe#
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
at the horse house I was looking through the leather treatments section.

and I found ko cho line and on the back of the tin it said not for use on un-treated leather....?

this pot was called "leather dressing" are there two types of the stuff?

Jackson
07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
i asked a good friend of mine bout the vaseline! said it was ok but in the summer it attracted grit etc and got very mucky! so i gues its not a good alternative!!:roll:

CJ not sure bout that clive or one of the other guys on here i hope will know!

is untreated leather the stuff that has a silky/plasticy side and then a towle like texture side?

Saker-Clive
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Your tin is at the centre with your name on it:supz: it does say about untreated leather, nubuck and suede; I think that the majority of the hides we use have been treated in some way....ie. chrome, vegetable or drum tanned.
I even use it on my Falcon Crest gloves.

Jackson
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Your tin is at the centre with your name on it:supz: it does say about untreated leather, nubuck and suede; I think that the majority of the hides we use have been treated in some way....ie. chrome, vegetable or drum tanned.
I even use it on my Falcon Crest gloves.

cheers clive!! ill be collecting it on tuesday!!! hope to see you there too!! my boy might be coming too!!!

Saker-Clive
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Hopefully but the weather isn't looking good, so it may be cancelled!!!:evil:

Mikey
21-05-2006, 12:40 PM
OR YOU COULD GET SOME OF MIKEYS BEESWAX FORMULA!!!!
Totally organic and a proved age old recipe!!You can find details n comments on t forum.

Osiris
23-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Good old beeswax dont hurt anyone. Very good on the old roo.