PDA

View Full Version : anklets and bewits

Dave G
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
as looking around the falconer fair the other sunday ?? and seeing the different anklets about as in styles who stll uses the original type where the the eylet is put on the one hole then the leather is slit just at the back of the eylet and then threaded through then is held in place on the birds leg by the flying jesse ??? hope you know what i mean ?? then why is it the falconers cable tie has popped up ? as this is surely just a lazy way to attach bells to a hawks /falcons legs ?? as they are hard and could cut into the legs of any b.o.p they are attached too ,surely leather is best cheers dave

Tim Laycock
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I didnt see anyone selling this pattern of jesses :rolleyes:

Anyone else still living in the dark ages? :lol:

Game & Pursuit Falcon UK
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Was with the Golden, but Ive moved on.

Berkut
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
as looking around the falconer fair the other sunday ?? and seeing the different anklets about as in styles who stll uses the original type where the the eylet is put on the one hole then the leather is slit just at the back of the eylet and then threaded through then is held in place on the birds leg by the flying jesse ??? hope you know what i mean ?? then why is it the falconers cable tie has popped up ? as this is surely just a lazy way to attach bells to a hawks /falcons legs ?? as they are hard and could cut into the legs of any b.o.p they are attached too ,surely leather is best cheers dave
I use the style you are referring to.They can be fitted and removed in seconds.If doing photography work with the eagles they can be flown without any anklets/jesses which is quite handy.
Far prefer traditional bewits for bells for the gos or falcons but never have bells on the eagles.

FoxHunter
06-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I think RomeoHarrisHawk is referring to "ANKLETS" as shown in "The Modern Apprentice" and not traditional jesses. It would be instructive to hear of the experiences of those who have used them.

Venividevenatio
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Still living in dark ages???
No, but some of the old ways have stood the test of time....................... The skill of making, fitting and using what are refered to as Traditional Jesses is useful to learn.
They can usualy be fitted single handed with a manned bird, and they can be fitted very quickly, with minimal fuss. They are great for a stop gap with a bird straight out of aviary, or removed from an aviary to facilitate medical treatment, and like wise for control of a wild bird needing the same.
Also useful in the 'falconry box' in the event of having to cut of an anklet whilst in field hunting, etc., for some reason.
The main disadvantage is the slit in the jess, so if flying is to be considered, a refit with Aylmeri and flying jesses is essential.

Merger
13-05-2006, 03:41 PM
No, but some of the old ways have stood the test of time....................... The skill of making, fitting and using what are refered to as Traditional Jesses is useful to learn.
They can usualy be fitted single handed with a manned bird, and they can be fitted very quickly, with minimal fuss. They are great for a stop gap with a bird straight out of aviary, or removed from an aviary to facilitate medical treatment, and like wise for control of a wild bird needing the same.
Also useful in the 'falconry box' in the event of having to cut of an anklet whilst in field hunting, etc., for some reason.
The main disadvantage is the slit in the jess, so if flying is to be considered, a refit with Aylmeri and flying jesses is essential.Yes I still use them for most of the above, specialy youngsters, fresh out of chambers, theres plenty I have to do on my own, I have only flown with them really, on my eagle, are the anklets were refering to just ,false almeri?

Bod
13-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I use false aylmeri anklets, with a flying jess passed through the eyes to hold them together.
Never had a problem with them, although I can't compare them to other types as they are the only ones I've used.

Tim Laycock
15-05-2006, 01:21 AM
The main disadvantage is the slit in the jess, so if flying is to be considered, a refit with Aylmeri and flying jesses is essential.

For shortwings I will use nothing else as a rule, the remedy to the swivel slit issue is simply not to put one in :supz: