PDA

View Full Version : Red Tail?

hawk eye
22-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Can any body please give me some advice i am thnking of getting a male redtail to fly at rabbit and pheasnt. I no there feet are alot smaller than the female does any one fly a male who could give me any advice?thankyou.

SSL
22-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Can any body please give me some advice i am thnking of getting a male redtail to fly at rabbit and pheasnt. I no there feet are alot smaller than the female does any one fly a male who could give me any advice?thankyou.

What do you want to know?

A male Red will take Rabbits and Pheasants.

Tim Laycock
22-05-2006, 03:29 PM
You will struggle to take pheasant unless flying from trees but a male red is beter suited to pheasant than a female

hawk eye
22-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I have been told they are not very good at following on like the harris, anyone know any good redtail breeders?
Must be 100% parent reared

Jimmy
22-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Redtails follow just as good as a Harris. If they don't follow, it's because of the trainer, not the bird.

Tim Laycock
22-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I have been told they are not very good at following on like the harris,

Rubbish, its how you make them!

Cant help with breeders, sorry.

Was asked the same question last night and couldnt help then either :oops:

hawk eye
22-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice lads.:) as for flying out of trees most of my land is woodland so its not a problam.

GoneHawking
22-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I think the reason people say that they don't follow on like a Harris is that Reds naturally hunt from telegraph poles and trees to give themselves the best advantage, That said they are very good at sloap soring and stooping eagle style aswell.

The red should basically fly in the style that you train it to, but individuals will differ, Gosses are best flown off the fist but will also follow on is you wish.

A good redtail male properly conditioned both mentally and physically should be able to take most UK quarry in good style, The problem is most people limit the flying to just weekends, fly 5-6 times a week and you will reap the rewards from any bird.

Mark

Jimmy
22-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I think the reason people say that they don't follow on like a Harris is that Reds naturally hunt from telegraph poles and trees to give themselves the best advantage,

And how do Harris's naturally hunt? From telegraph poles and cactus. Both birds have a very similair hunting style in the wild, except that Harris' often hunt in groups.

GoneHawking
22-05-2006, 07:14 PM
And how do Harris's naturally hunt? From telegraph poles and cactus. Both birds have a very similair hunting style in the wild, except that Harris' often hunt in groups.

They hunt more in packs, following each other in for the kill, I think the Red does more sitting around on poles than anything else.

Mark

Jimmy
22-05-2006, 07:22 PM
I think you should come to the US and see how they hunt in their "natural" environment. You will see them just sitting around waiting...... much the same as a redtail. Yes, they do hunt in packs, but they spend most of their time just sitting and waiting and looking. Again, just like a redtail........

GoneHawking
22-05-2006, 07:34 PM
I think you should come to the US and see how they hunt in their "natural" environment. You will see them just sitting around waiting...... much the same as a redtail. Yes, they do hunt in packs, but they spend most of their time just sitting and waiting and looking. Again, just like a redtail........

No thanks I would rather spend my valuable time watching the more impressive Goshawk, not getting pulled in to the Harris/Redtail debate, they are two different birds, but can both be trained to fly in a way that suits the falconer.

Mark

Redtail
23-05-2006, 05:15 PM
id love to come see the reds in there natural state.gosses are good but red is best

NGuruve
23-05-2006, 05:45 PM
i im with you man reds do rule im not saying they are better than a gos maybe a female is better for hare but the male is perfect for rabbits and will take phessys so gd luck and can be flown in the same way as a harris:supz:

Redtail
23-05-2006, 06:20 PM
nothing like the sight of a red soaring the skys imo you cant beat broad wings

NGuruve
23-05-2006, 08:07 PM
haa dam straight so many people like shortwings and so do i but a red is awsume my fav is still the hawk eagles though:supz:

Jimmy
23-05-2006, 08:17 PM
I fly a gos and a redtail. The best of both worlds :-)

NGuruve
24-05-2006, 10:38 AM
haha you lucky git hehe no well done gd on ya :supz:
out of curiosity ive never seen a gos hunted and have seen reds and there agression when hunting but how does a reds agression and drive to kill compare to the gosses jimmy

Jimmy
24-05-2006, 05:15 PM
I've only flown one gos, which is the male I currently have. Got him last year, second hand with a few problems. He's just as agrressive as any of the redtails I've flown. The biggest difference is the flight style, but he also persues different quarry than my redtails. He goes after feathers, and the redtails are mainly squirrel hawks. I hope to be imprinting a female gos this year. I should be able to make a better comparison with her.

BuzzBee
11-06-2006, 10:58 AM

I fly a male.You have to have alot of patience with them.Either chuck them in a tree and flush underneath them.Or slip him from your fist.The one we have is relativly easy to get of a kill but they can be stubborn. We havent used him for pheasant yet but hes had rabbit and trying for squirrel.Remember Reds dont follow on like HH they will do on rare occasion so your better of doing the above.Just to point out we got this bird a few months ago so we didnt train him from scratch to follow on.
Hope all goes well.

NGuruve
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I've only flown one gos, which is the male I currently have. Got him last year, second hand with a few problems. He's just as agrressive as any of the redtails I've flown. The biggest difference is the flight style, but he also persues different quarry than my redtails. He goes after feathers, and the redtails are mainly squirrel hawks. I hope to be imprinting a female gos this year. I should be able to make a better comparison with her.
how do the malesdo on squirrel compared toa female i would hink that a female would be better

Jimmy
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
how do the males do on squirrel compared to a female i would think that a female would be better

The males are just as capable as the females. They sometimes need more time to build the confidence they need though. Once they get that confidence and learn all the tricks, they are fantastic to watch. As always, some birds are better than others. The males tend to be a slightly more agile in the trees than most females, and they tend to be not as wreckless. Great sport, in my opinion.

DorsetAde
13-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Never had any probs with my MRT. He's in on bunnies and pheasant no probs. Manages the cock pheasy easier than the hen but then like in life woman give all of us males the run around eh ? Mine's been tempramental in the past not follwoing on occasionally but usually only when somethings taken his interest or he's been spooked by something