PDA

View Full Version : do tail mounts affect flying

Onyx25
25-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Just chucking an idea out, do people think tail mounts of any type affect a birds manuvarability? I ask this because I fitted a mount to some old decks for demonstration purposes today and once the transmitter was clipped in it weighs a ton! Feathers being so well adapted for minute adjustments in flight even a single bell must have repurcussions?

OutFlying
25-11-2006, 09:23 PM
It may well do, but a wild falcon will still hunt successfully with both decks missing whilst moulting so I think the tail mount won't make much difference as to notice.

Jim.

Harris
25-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Its an interesting thought, but I reckon there are to many factors involved with flying such as weight, different wind paterns etc, I would think that a bird just adapts to the conditions, whether natural or man made. Its only something that could be measured under scientific control tho.

Berkut
25-11-2006, 09:41 PM
It may well do, but a wild falcon will still hunt successfully with both decks missing whilst moulting so I think the tail mount won't make much difference as to notice.

Jim.

Even the centre :) decks Jim :lol:

Scooter
25-11-2006, 09:49 PM
titus shut up ....think ov you own threads.........every time you talk to me on the phone you put a post up :lol: told you p/r goshawks wer better..lol lol carnt wait to see you mate and get out hunting:supz:

Onyx25
25-11-2006, 09:54 PM
titus shut up ....think ov you own threads.........every time you talk to me on the phone you put a post up :lol: told you p/r goshawks wer better..lol lol carnt wait to see you mate and get out hunting:supz:

HA HA HA wish I was as funny as you! lol These p/r gosses arealright I suppose but defo gonna fly an imprint again next year now my ears have stopped ringing lol! Be up your way again next week on that site.

Onyx25
25-11-2006, 10:00 PM
suppose what I was trying to say is the pressure and imbalance that 1/2 an once of gear exerts on the whole tail if mounted on the decks might be a reason to mount on the leg which are not as finely tuned as a feather?

HawkNorth
25-11-2006, 10:23 PM
The hawk simply adjusts

Harris
25-11-2006, 10:29 PM
The hawk simply adjusts

A bit like stapping a 1000lb bomb to a Fighter Jet, they just give it a bit more welly to get it going, and a biy more rudder to turn :lol:

HawkNorth
25-11-2006, 10:39 PM
A bit like stapping a 1000lb bomb to a Fighter Jet, they just give it a bit more welly to get it going, and a biy more rudder to turn :lol:

Have you not seen this

Harris
25-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Have you not seen this

:confused: uh?

Scooter
25-11-2006, 10:44 PM
:confused: try running 100 mile ..........then do it with a back pack on :confused: ....not the weight the drag:idea:

Tim Laycock
25-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I dont think it makes too much difference.
As the mount is at the top of the tail the extra effort required to move it will be minimal.
I dont think the extra weight would affect the birds flying noticably if the mount etc, was scaled properly for the bird.

Vonkie
12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Tail mounts have my interest, but I'm unable to find any detailed information on how to place a tailmount correctly. So if anybody has any detailed pictures of how to place a talemount...you'd make me happy :-D

Please mail to vonkstra@zonnet.nl

Thanks

Jan

GregMik
12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Tail mounts have my interest, but I'm unable to find any detailed information on how to place a tailmount correctly. So if anybody has any detailed pictures of how to place a talemount...you'd make me happy :-D

Please mail to vonkstra@zonnet.nl

Thanks

Jan

Jan,

Use the search button on the top of the page for Tailmounts. There are a few threads on here about different designs.

Greg

Alf
12-12-2006, 04:27 PM
It will do if it gets caught on a fence ands pulls both decks out:wink:
There not perfect but neither are trailing jesses, bells or transmitters you just have to live with them or not! Alf.

Just chucking an idea out, do people think tail mounts of any type affect a birds manuvarability? I ask this because I fitted a mount to some old decks for demonstration purposes today and once the transmitter was clipped in it weighs a ton! Feathers being so well adapted for minute adjustments in flight even a single bell must have repurcussions?