PDA

View Full Version : Red shouldered hawk

Fenlands Rescue
29-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Not sure if this is the right section.

Any info on these little birds appreciated.
Are they used in falconry, for what quarry and what style of hunting.
Thanks

HawkMom
29-12-2006, 04:49 PM
I've rehabbed 3 red shouldered. Two immature, one haggard. They are flighty, a good step towards someone wanting to train an accipiter. They are VOCAL. Even the Haggard called when he heard us moving around the house. Small feet, mainly a mouser, frogger. Probably would be good on quail, partridge, magpies, etc. Maybe a large female could handle cottontails, but strongly recommended against squirrels. They are VOCAL, (did I say that already)? Pretty birds, just be prepared for the mouth. ;-)

Fenlands Rescue
29-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks Kitty

NAFEX
02-01-2007, 12:05 AM
here is one I trapped.. he was very vocal on the trapp for sure. It was great to watch him dance all over that BC,. He was a foot little guy. Killed 2 of my mice bfor I finally trapped him..

His feet were very small. As said befor no way he would take the bushy tail. I thought about keeping him but I am still looking for a coops

we will see i guess

http://nafex.net/test/rs.jpg

GregMik
02-01-2007, 12:11 AM
I've rehabbed 3 red shouldered. Two immature, one haggard. They are flighty, a good step towards someone wanting to train an accipiter. They are VOCAL. Even the Haggard called when he heard us moving around the house. Small feet, mainly a mouser, frogger. Probably would be good on quail, partridge, magpies, etc. Maybe a large female could handle cottontails, but strongly recommended against squirrels. They are VOCAL, (did I say that already)? Pretty birds, just be prepared for the mouth. ;-)

Did she say vocal? We have a pair nesting close to us. We hear them everyday.

Greg

Fenlands Rescue
02-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the replys