PDA

View Full Version : Which Leather is best?

KKLouiseKK
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
hello everyone i want to have a go at making my own jesses for my harris and wondered what is the best leather to use as there are so many different types and also what thickness?. Finally wheres the best place to buy it?
cheers :D

Miguel
06-11-2007, 12:32 PM
To me nothing beats a good kangaroo leather!!

FlameHairedFalconer
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Louise,

I use kip leather which I purchase from www.leprevo.co.uk (http://www.leprevo.co.uk) tell them what it is for and they will send you the correct grade.

FHF

Star
06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
hello everyone i want to have a go at making my own jesses for my harris and wondered what is the best leather to use as there are so many different types and also what thickness?. Finally wheres the best place to buy it?

Maybe something cheap to practice on? If you haven't tried before.

Hatchero
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
for jesses i have found two leathers that fill the bill. of course there is kangaroo in all its variable forms. there is some roo that is **** so be carefull. i have also used dog skin ( had a couple of hides that came from Ronald Stevens, that's what he swore by) dog is very similar to roo but i have not seen any since i ran out of it 20 something years ago. i don't know if it is still availabele in the UK or not but if it is i would go for it i.
Jim

Alan G
06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
If you have any leather suite companies near you, you can always go in and ask them for their old Swatch/Sample books of leather. You know, the ones that lets you see the colours of suits.

I recently picked up a 4ft X 4ft section of heavy brown leather from a local leather suite company,which they used for doing repairs with.

Benny H
07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi Louise,

I use kip leather which I purchase from www.leprevo.co.uk (http://www.leprevo.co.uk) tell them what it is for and they will send you the correct grade.

FHF

I use these..there more than helpfull, they stock most of the tools and dyes aswell..:supz:

hh_uk2001
15-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi.
I got a whole so called deer skin off ebay it was not a whole skin and it was in black.
But it is **** for anything other then jesses as it is not thick for anklets unless they were for a spar ,but anything bigger or stronger would make a mess of it.

Thats my penny's worth lol.http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Regards.

John.

Alba
28-11-2007, 05:01 PM
There's some buffalo leather on ebay at the mo, 2mm thick, do you think this would work for anklets and jesses for a snowy owl? He's destroyed 2 sets in 3 months and its getting expensive so would like to make our own! :)

TalonsGrip1
27-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I've used Buffalo and moose for jesses. Both are pretty tough. I look for a good strong leather that won't stretch too much. If it does stretch, I glue laminate two thinner pieces, cross-grained, then cut my jesses from that.

Another consideration, once you've addressed strength and stretch, is weight. Some leathers must be thicker to be strong.

Harehawk
29-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Unless we are talking about the largest Eagles, then Kangaroo hide is the VERY best option. But it comes in a couple of thicknesses so its best to buy the suitable grade for your bird. Long term it makes the best sense from a safety point of view and cost effectiveness. Its not cheap but it lasts.
Harehawk

Osiris
29-12-2007, 01:33 PM
i got kangaroo leather last time..... wasn't at all the best quality, kept stretching... although have had in the past some very good roo leather

Got calf leather (natural veg tan), from site sponsor Falcon Fabrication, have to say, won't be changing. Very strong and supple leather

Dave G
29-12-2007, 01:37 PM
if its for a harris kangaroo is just fine ? but be careful as in everything there is good and bad on the market /dave

Barkai
07-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Here in Niger I was told that Hyena skin is the strongest.:)

Barkai

Zarafia
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll bet hyena hide is pretty darn strong. But I've never seen it for sale.