PDA

View Full Version : Middle-Eastern Glove.

JanMan
20-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I am making gloves for a couple of chums in our group and whilst looking through the 'buckskin' box, I came across the glove in the photograph. It was given to me as an example of why I had been asked to make gloves for the Saudi's over 30 years ago. The blue and brown sections are plastic and the finger and thumb sections are hard and inflexable chrome leather, and perfectly flat. Pretty awful really.

IAmTheWeasel
20-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Looks like a camel boot.....:roll:

CanadaManada
20-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Or a camel-toe!:supz:

Trehy2000
20-12-2007, 03:20 PM
puppet hand

Berkut
20-12-2007, 03:22 PM
It was probably designed by the same guy who first adapted trash cans as travelling boxes.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Q8e
20-12-2007, 03:39 PM
We call them manqalas and i have seen many that are good and many bad. It's just like where you live I'm sure you can get high quality falconry equipment or really bad.

I'm sure there were many high quality mangalas available but just as the case is today, many people who have the money available pursue the highest quality items overseas to ensure their reliability. Where we come from its not like ancient times where we made our own hoods and gloves, now it is usually foreign nationals making them elsewhere in Asia and they make them very cheap. I think the Saudis coming to you was a compliment.

MattSpar
20-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Jesus!

That's not going to be mine is it?

IAmTheWeasel
20-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought Mangalas where more like a hollow tube made of material for the bird to sit upon......not a twisted two toed sloth of a glove. The Mangalas I have seen actually look rather nice.

Q8e
20-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I thought Mangalas where more like a hollow tube made of material for the bird to sit upon......not a twisted two toed sloth of a glove. The Mangalas I have seen actually look rather nice.

Yea its not whats in the picture its what we call the glove. Its like yours you use in the west for falconry but made from different material for the heat, leather is not as good in the heat. I say manqala cause q and g make different sounds in arabic.

Alf
20-12-2007, 09:03 PM
teletubbies! Alf.

Alf
20-12-2007, 09:07 PM
No the lazy **** couldn’t be bothered to stitch the rest of the fingers in, it was a Friday afternoon when he made this!:yawinkle: Alf

teletubbies! Alf.

JanMan
21-12-2007, 11:24 AM
We call them manqalas and i have seen many that are good and many bad. It's just like where you live I'm sure you can get high quality falconry equipment or really bad.

I'm sure there were many high quality mangalas available but just as the case is today, many people who have the money available pursue the highest quality items overseas to ensure their reliability. Where we come from its not like ancient times where we made our own hoods and gloves, now it is usually foreign nationals making them elsewhere in Asia and they make them very cheap. I think the Saudis coming to you was a compliment.

Please be assured that absolutely no disrespect to Arabic glovemakers was intended. I don't know the history of this particular glove to make any comment other than it's pretty awful. As you say, I accept there must be a range of ability wherever you come from, but I was informed that this was typical of a glove, and that mangalas were normally used in and up to that period, which was pre 1975. And yes, I considered it a great compliment to be asked to make the gloves, more particularly as the request came from the London office of King Khalid via our Foreign Office. I found the whole experience most enriching and a real eye-opener to Arab culture.

ScotFalconer
21-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Looks like one of them annoying little characters from the vauxhall corsa ad on tv !

Q8e
21-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Please be assured that absolutely no disrespect to Arabic glovemakers was intended. I don't know the history of this particular glove to make any comment other than it's pretty awful. As you say, I accept there must be a range of ability wherever you come from, but I was informed that this was typical of a glove, and that mangalas were normally used in and up to that period, which was pre 1975. And yes, I considered it a great compliment to be asked to make the gloves, more particularly as the request came from the London office of King Khalid via our Foreign Office. I found the whole experience most enriching and a real eye-opener to Arab culture.

Oh i know mate didnt mean that you did at all was just saying that incase people thought that all our manqalas are like that. Big honor to make them for the Al-Sauds.