PDA

View Full Version : Rare book: The Hawking of Japan: Jameson

CanadaManada
24-02-2008, 05:49 AM
In 1962 with the assistance of his Japanese wife, California zoologist E.W. Jameson Jr. compiled information they collected regarding Japanese falconry and esoteric training practices into this comprehensive volume. The book specifically deals with the training of Goshawks, Sparowhawks, Peregrine falcons and Hodgeson's Hawk-Eagles.
It details husbandry, manning, training, entering and hunting quarry up to the size of cranes. It also outlines the history of falconry in Japan.
This book is in fine condition and all colour plates are in place. This has been a problem with this book and other copies frequently have plates missing. This book is now only available from antique book dealers and there are no plans for a reprint. http://www.antiqbook.nl/boox/zaa/13993.shtml
This book's value rises annually as examples become harder and harder to come by.
This is a great chance to learn the ancient Japanese falconry techniques still practiced by serious goshawkers today.
I am open to serious offers or trades.

Justin

Hobby
24-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I must say this book is a lovely piece of work.The colour plates are individually produced and glued into each copy.
Justin do you know how many copies were produced?

CanadaManada
24-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I must say this book is a lovely piece of work.The colour plates are individually produced and glued into each copy.
Justin do you know how many copies were produced?

To my knowlege, 1st ed. was 500, 2nd was 500 or 700. 1st edition had colour plate and binding problems, thus the value of 1st and 2nd edition varies only by about $50-$100 in identical condition.

Justin

TMoritz
24-02-2008, 04:48 PM
There are five copies more on abebooks.com right now. Price ranges from $300-800 USD for them.

It is an excellent book and the plates are fantastic.

One collector's note about the book. The pages were published uncut, so you had to take a razor or letter opener and open every other page to read the book.

To have a book that is truly near-mint the book has to be unreadable. Unread copies are exceedingly rare and command a considerably higher price. (I read my copy without opening the pages because I'm a freak) :rolleyes:

I should also mention that the one Justin is selling is a first edition that appears to be in better condition than anything else available on the market. If his sells I just wanted to share where you can get a second edition or a lower quality first ed.

All of EW Jameson's works are superb falconry books. (he published four works) Enjoy.

CanadaManada
25-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the comments, Troy.
My guess is you have the only uncut one.
Mine is a 2nd edition, btw. The link I provided describes an average 2nd edition in condition.
I'm not a book collector. Truth is, I only wanted to read it to see what I could learn. That's done, so now it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

Justin

CanadaManada
02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Still available. Looking for offers for sale or trade.
It's in as good condition as you could ever expect to find.

Justin

Jamaicensis
07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
What would you trade it for?

CanadaManada
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
What would you trade it for?

PM sent.