PDA

View Full Version : Jess length

Hex
09-03-2008, 08:40 PM
hi all, what do you think is the ideal width and length for mews jesses??
(for a mhh)

also whats the ideal length of leash??

David Rampling
09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Mews jess should be long enough so that when bird is on fist, it reaches from anklett, through middle of gloved hand and out between ring and middle fingers to swivell. Thats fine for harris. Falcons jesses should be short enough so the block cannot be straddled.

David Rampling
09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
hi all, what do you think is the ideal width and length for mews jesses??
(for a mhh)

also whats the ideal length of leash??

Sorry, forgot second half of question. 1.5 cm wide aprox. works for me. Buy good leashes for your birds, cut them down if too long. But the fact that you need to ask this question, sensible as it is, would sugest to me that you should buy your equipment from a good equipment maker, and copy that in future.

Hex
10-03-2008, 05:52 PM
yeah iv bought leashes and equipment before but when i told the falconer on my course he said the leashes i had bought where way to long, so just wondering what is the ideal length of leash for a mhh??

Alan G
10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
yeah iv bought leashes and equipment before but when i told the falconer on my course he said the leashes i had bought where way to long, so just wondering what is the ideal length of leash for a mhh??

I was initially shown to use approx a 12 inch length of leather & by the time you make the button (2 or 3 folds depending on leather type). From here you can make them shorter at the end that the swivel attaches to, by trimming and making the slit again.

As you get better with practice, it will become second nature.

Sean D
10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I was told that the leash should be no more than 10 to 12 inches when tied so I make mine 18 inch

Hex
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
ok guy's cheers

Fenlands Rescue
10-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I was told that the leash should be no more than 10 to 12 inches when tied so I make mine 18 inch

My leashes are normally a metre long and that allows for a double knot.

Vonkie
09-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Yep, I use an one metre long leash for my MHH as well, and suits him well !

Jan

Gary F
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
leash????

I was initially shown to use approx a 12 inch length of leather & by the time you make the button (2 or 3 folds depending on leather type). From here you can make them shorter at the end that the swivel attaches to, by trimming and making the slit again.

As you get better with practice, it will become second nature.
good post mate,,,

Sean D
09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=Gary F;800056]leash????

yes leash, why whats the problem:roll: