PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on gloves (newbie)

OiOiHarris
13-03-2008, 11:31 AM
:roll:Hi,
I am hoping to get back into hawking again after a few yrs off, i have been looking on ebay for equipment, there is a guy on there making and selling gloves they lokk great in the pics and very reasonably priced, was just wondering if anyone had any experience on the quality of these items before i purchase?

Sophie
13-03-2008, 11:37 AM
moved to correct forum

everyone seems to have their favourite gloves. i prefer martin jones gloves because there fit perfectly and last the longest ive known out of any other glove i still have a hole free one i bought when i was 12. however they are expensive. the cheaper ones will do the job they are just less comfortable and wont last quite as long so the choice is yours;
atb
sophie

Claire
13-03-2008, 11:40 AM
its difficult to know what they are like without seeing who is selling them, but you generally get what you pay for and the cheaper ones generally only last a year or so.

OiOiHarris
13-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Thankyou sophie,
Is martin jones the guy in monmouth?
cus thats only 45mins drive for me.

Sophie
13-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Thankyou sophie,
Is martin jones the guy in monmouth?
cus thats only 45mins drive for me.

thats the one :D

Dave G
13-03-2008, 11:49 AM
ive got ben long gloves good gloves too ? dont buy off ebay gloves very poor well 99% are as cheap leather used /dave

OiOiHarris
13-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Great im off i got the rest of the day off, i will let ya know how i got on later on if ya about.
p.s got any idea how i post photos?;)

OiOiHarris
13-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Dave G I see your in the midlands thats my kneck of the woods you ever heard of a guy called chris buuras wood ? flown just about anythin worth flyin.

OiOiHarris
13-03-2008, 12:16 PM
A man walks into a pub and asksthe barmanfor a pint of anything but stella.
Whats wrong with stella? says the barman.
Well last night i bought 12 pints and when i got home i was f****n skint,says the man.
Well says the barman,if you bought 12 pints of any beer youd spend a lot!
No,says the barman ,skint is my jack russell.

Gota go cathya later:yawinkle:

Murph
13-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I love martins gloves worth every penny.:supz:

Jiff
13-03-2008, 02:05 PM
i tend to go cheap, martins gloves are great without doubt but are expensive, but be aware buying from ebay you can't actualy wear the glove or even inspect the quality, last year i baught one for somthing like 12 quid, it does the job but the stitching was poor and i had a hole in the crook of the thumb in no time, and one thing you can gaurantee, get a hole anywhere and thats the first place a tallon of an excited bird finds, another point, although this perticular glove looked well, the fit was ****, and after a day out with the bird my hand would be dyed yellow, surf the net and check out prices, i only hunt with my bird, some people find themselves in the public eye with the birds and presentation is important so a nice looking glove is a must, one of the best gloves i had was from crown falconry, i payed 25 quid at the falconry fair, it was great in every department, it even was warm to wear in winter, my backward brittany ate it:rolleyes: my advice would be, be carefull of ebay, and if you can make it to the falconry fair in may, save up and go, you will get anything you want, and they will haggle so you can save a few quid.

Dave G
13-03-2008, 04:19 PM
great joke too lol

Sean D
13-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Try duenorth, very resonable and good quality
http://www.due-north.eu/9.html#

Dave G
13-03-2008, 05:06 PM
remember you only get what you pay for ?? cheap glove cheap leather and falls apart ? good names good leather and they like quality as helps there name /dave

Bones
13-03-2008, 06:16 PM
:roll:Hi,
I am hoping to get back into hawking again after a few yrs off, i have been looking on ebay for equipment, there is a guy on there making and selling gloves they lokk great in the pics and very reasonably priced, was just wondering if anyone had any experience on the quality of these items before i purchase?

If i was you i would wait a few more months till the falconry fair as you say your in the midlands so not to far to travel for you and go there at least you can see what your buying and also try for best fit

Just my oppinion

PAUL

OiOiHarris
13-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, good job i couldnt get to monmouth ill wait for the fair in may.
cheers

GreaterSanta616
04-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I prefer Due North as the only glove i have had and it is really comfortable.

Barrold
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I prefer Due North as the only glove i have had and it is really comfortable.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I brought my first glove off of ebay, from Mikey & that was a Due North glove. I haven't used it yet but it fits really well, looks good & feels right.. I was very impressed with it. I've now just brought a spare one from him, a different colour & in suede. All brand new.
Barry