PDA

View Full Version : Jesses

Riddick
18-05-2008, 08:38 PM
what length do you make your flying jesses, as ive seen some really long ones on here. as regards to medium sized raptors?

1. 15-20 cm

2. 20-25 cm

3. 25-30 cm

FalconGriff
24-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Why use flying jesses at all? I started to fly my birds without after a visit to South Africa where they never use them. The birds flying with just bracelets. It's done there for two reasons1/ to make sure the bird doesn't get tangled on some of the very thick spiny bushes they have, and 2/ To stop other raptors attacking as they think the bird is carrying prey. At first you worry as you don't have anything to catch hold of but once you realise that your bird will sit on the fist long enough to slip some two pieces of thin rope that is tied one end to your glove, its easy. At the next slip you just let go, the bird flies leaving you with the two bits of rope still tied to the glove and with NO chance of its jesses getting tangles up or caught on barb wire. If its better for the bird it must be worth making the effort. What do others think?

Sean D
24-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Why use flying jesses at all? I started to fly my birds without after a visit to South Africa where they never use them. The birds flying with just bracelets. It's done there for two reasons1/ to make sure the bird doesn't get tangled on some of the very thick spiny bushes they have, and 2/ To stop other raptors attacking as they think the bird is carrying prey. At first you worry as you don't have anything to catch hold of but once you realise that your bird will sit on the fist long enough to slip some two pieces of thin rope that is tied one end to your glove, its easy. At the next slip you just let go, the bird flies leaving you with the two bits of rope still tied to the glove and with NO chance of its jesses getting tangles up or caught on barb wire. If its better for the bird it must be worth making the effort. What do others think?

I like the sound of that

Riddick
24-05-2008, 04:10 PM
thats not what i asked tho?:confused:

Jackson
24-05-2008, 05:02 PM
i make mine long enough to hold on to so get a bit of string or something and hold it in ur hand like you would a jess (remember little slack for the ankelt) then measure where you feel most comfortable holding on - basically where you have a good grip (if in safety positon normaly 4 cms from the closed fingers. and thats you meaurement.!

mines abour 15 cm

Barkai
02-06-2008, 01:29 AM
what length do you make your flying jesses, as ive seen some really long ones on here. as regards to medium sized raptors?

1. 15-20 cm

2. 20-25 cm

3. 25-30 cm

As short as possible, but its better just not to use them at all after the first few days of flying free.

You should be able to trust it completely.

Cheers,
Stephen