PDA

View Full Version : Made my first set of jesses

ScotlandForever
11-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi all

Went to the Blair Drummond Falconry festival yesterday and won some leather so today decided to make some jesses and here they are.

Also toke this of the Sea eagle

And bought a load of gear from Ben Long to get me started.

Cheers

Jason

Alf
11-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Well done Jason nice mews jesses keep some leather back for anklets and such you can get carried away with making jesses when you first start all of a sudden you have no leather left.. :yawinkle: Alf.

MusketMad
11-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Well done Jason nice mews jesses keep some leather back for anklets and such you can get carried away with making jesses when you first start all of a sudden you have no leather left.. :yawinkle: Alf.i remember making my first jesses as a kid alf....they were made out of one of my mums old leather coats...:lol:they were trads and were really long

Alf
11-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Nigel first falconry book I read it was a first edition probably worth fortunes now that was it! Nothing that even resembled leather was safe in my house.
I am from a big family 9 brothers and sisters I got crucified for cutting up my older sitters boots one time she had just bought them and for some reason it never twigged to me she might use them again!
Handbags coats boots it if was leather it was turned into jesses once there cut up there no use to anyone was my motto! :yawinkle::lol: Alf.

i remember making my first jesses as a kid alf....they were made out of one of my mums old leather coats...:lol:they were trads and were really long

MusketMad
11-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Nigel first falconry book I read it was a first edition probably worth fortunes now that was it! Nothing that even resembled leather was safe in my house.
I am from a big family 9 brothers and sisters I got crucified for cutting up my older sitters boots one time she had just bought them and for some reason it never twigged to me she might use them again!
Handbags coats boots it if was leather it was turned into jesses once there cut up there no use to anyone was my motto! :yawinkle::lol: Alf.i know its off topic a bit but the weapon of choice as a kid was a catapult ...the estate i grew up on is called weeds wood and was originally an oak wood,so come autumn there were acorns everywhere..there are also a lot of old peoples bungelows,so nightime activity for me and my mate was firing acorns at the windows and running off...the trusty catapult was constructed of an old piece of mattress spring which was v shape ,elastic bands and the tongue from my mums leather shoe...leather was gold in theose days :lol:

Alf
11-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Frig my Nigel you’re as old as me! Catapults out of bed supports we used to go to sleep on 50 of these there were supposed to be a hundred my brothers kept falling through the bed!
Laky bands the perfect shaped bends for the gat! Never used acorns all we had was berries from out side the grounds of St James park dead eye dick never had a looking mate.:yawinkle:
Sorry for the hijack of this thread. Alf.

i know its off topic a bit but the weapon of choice as a kid was a catapult ...the estate i grew up on is called weeds wood and was originally an oak wood,so come autumn there were acorns everywhere..there are also a lot of old peoples bungelows,so nightime activity for me and my mate was firing acorns at the windows and running off...the trusty catapult was constructed of an old piece of mattress spring which was v shape ,elastic bands and the tongue from my mums leather shoe...leather was gold in theose days :lol:

MusketMad
11-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Frig my Nigel you’re as old as me! Catapults out of bed supports we used to go to sleep on 50 of these there were supposed to be a hundred my brothers kept falling through the bed!
Laky bands the perfect shaped bends for the gat! Never used acorns all we had was berries from out side the grounds of St James park dead eye dick never had a looking mate.:yawinkle:
Sorry for the hijack of this thread. Alf.after this alf i progressed onto peg guns ....a piece of batten shaped wood with a nail in the end , an elastic band and a peg strapped to the end ...you would then get another peg and take the metal bit out and attach it to the band ...you wold then put the end of the band over the nail and stretch it back placing the metal bit in the gape of the peg and then close it ....you would then aim the gun and open the peg .....nearly took out some kids eye with mine ...i remember having a double barrel one :lol:

FalconMistress
11-08-2008, 09:09 PM
looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember my dad teaching me and since then i have made over 200 sets a year lol

Alf
11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Never tried that, once shot my older brother in the leg with a gat the hand held pistols 177 No power in them but it left a big indent in his leg.
Got a big hiding that day! :yawinkle: Alf. .

after this alf i progressed onto peg guns ....a piece of batten shaped wood with a nail in the end , an elastic band and a peg strapped to the end ...you would then get another peg and take the metal bit out and attach it to the band ...you wold then put the end of the band over the nail and stretch it back placing the metal bit in the gape of the peg and then close it ....you would then aim the gun and open the peg .....nearly took out some kids eye with mine ...i remember having a double barrel one :lol:

MusketMad
11-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Never tried that, once shot my older brother in the leg with a gat the hand held pistols 177 No power in them but it left a big indent in his leg.
Got a big hiding that day! :yawinkle: Alf. .gat guns ..he he he shoot people in the leg with the little darts with the couldered fluffy ends....
dont get me started Alf i had a proper little armoury as a kid ...i could have ended up the next michael ryan:D

Alf
11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Nigel I forgot about the fluffy ends never used them much they were to expensive easier to extract from legs though!:yawinkle:
I think we better leave this thread to Jason and his Jesses mate although its been a trip down memory lane. Thanks mate! Alf.

gat guns ..he he he shoot people in the leg with the little darts with the couldered fluffy ends....
dont get me started Alf i had a proper little armoury as a kid ...i could have ended up the next michael ryan:D

reds
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Well done jason they look good for your first try.
I was at the festival yesterday,seen you lifting your prize.
The sea eagle was awesome soaring over the lake towards us,but the vulture was my favourite of the display.
Paul

Pitbull
11-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Did you have the same awful weather as we had up at dunblane. One minute you were drowned by the rain, the next by your sweat as it turnedwarm again to be cooled down but the next down pour.

MusketMad
11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Nigel I forgot about the fluffy ends never used them much they were to expensive easier to extract from legs though!:yawinkle:
I think we better leave this thread to Jason and his Jesses mate although its been a trip down memory lane. Thanks mate! Alf.yeah sorry jason...:oops: so now you have made jesses when are we gonna see your hood???:-D...ill bet it will be better than my first attempt ....again the leather was used from part of my familys clothing..

ScotlandForever
11-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Dont think a will be making a hood feek that to complicated and as i will only be getting a MHH don't think i will need one but mibi in the future

Thanks for the replay's

Jason:supz::supz: