PDA

View Full Version : Were can I get cheep leather to practice on?

Scouse69_123
20-12-2008, 03:41 PM
i want to learn how to make anklets ect were can i get cheep but loads of leather to practice of and hopefully use chris

Smiggs
20-12-2008, 04:07 PM
el kilos behind t j hughes .london road liverpool.they have boxes of offcuts that cost pennies.ive made loads of jesses out of it

Scouse69_123
20-12-2008, 04:15 PM
el kilos behind t j hughes .london road liverpool.they have boxes of offcuts that cost pennies.ive made loads of jesses out of it

thanx pal ber that in mind

Wilfred
20-12-2008, 04:46 PM
i want to learn how to make anklets ect were can i get cheep but loads of leather to practice of and hopefully use chris

most leather producers will have a lot of smaller or bigger leather pieces you could buy there for cheap i guess.

But for learning how to make anklets and jesses and the like you will not need to practise a lot :-)

Harris
20-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Go to your local, leather suit centre and ask them if they have any old sample books you can have. I picked up several last year each book has about 10-20 pieces of leather about A5 or even A4 size, in a range of colours, they always have them going spare as the various lines are discontinued etc. Just ask nicely, tell them it's for an art project or something.

FalconGriff
20-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Bit of advise check your leather carefully before use. Cut a slit in it that you can get your thumbs in, try to rip it, if you can its useless. Cut a stip no wider than quarter of an inch and a foot long, try to snap it, if you can its useless. Just remember that if you save a few pennies on the leather and lose a bird it wont seem so cheap!! If you try ether of the above test on Kangaroo skin it will sale through Now I'm a mean old git but I don't begrudge the 10 a square foot on decent leather. Jesses are so easy to make that you don't really need to practice if you have a scalpel and a steel rule you wont go far wrong

BirdNurd
20-12-2008, 06:20 PM
nick the wives hand bag thats what i done just to practice getting sizes right etc just dont let her find lol

Scouse69_123
20-12-2008, 08:28 PM
thank you all yea have all bin very help full were do ya actually buy proper leather thick decent stuff for when im ready ,chris

FalconGriff
20-12-2008, 10:54 PM
It doesn't have to be thick to be good Kangaroo is is very thin!! I always say to my customers that if they can snap the quarter inch strip they can have the sale for nothing. haven't been caught yet!!:lol::lol:

HawkMom
21-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Old purses, leather clothing items from the local thrift store, old belts, shoes, boots, etc. My mentor used to cut up his old worn out kangaroo boots to make jess leather.