PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Equipment

SoaringHawk
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi to the forum,
I make quite alot of my equipment myself, I'm not saying I'm very good at it, but if it works and the birds safe and happy, its all good!
I have made (succesfully and unsuccesfully) squirell chaps, hoods, anklets and jessies, knife sheaths, rabbit lures and alot more. I was wondering how many other people made alot of their own equipment? My latest project was a pair of double thickness squirell chaps67629
this picture is of the unfinised pair, without the bottoms trimmed.
I was thinking my next make was going to be a swing lure...what do people think the best padding is for it, Cotton wool? Old socks?
Thanks, SoaringHawk

FalconGriff
04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I find the best thing to stuff into a lure is screwed up cut up polythene bags. Any natural material gets heavy when wet and is hard to dry out!

SoaringHawk
04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I find the best thing to stuff into a lure is screwed up cut up polythene bags. Any natural material gets heavy when wet and is hard to dry out!

Thanks FalconGriff, I never thought of that!

SoaringHawk
04-01-2009, 06:46 PM
I did say hoods you must not have seen:D
But thankyou, and I entirely agree that most people who have the time should have a go, you may not make something first time that works well but its good fun trying!
I concidered making gloves but decided against it because I thought it would be very dificult to get the leather thick enough to protect from the talons, but thin enough to be able to stitch it by hand. I'll have to have a go sometime:D
SoaringHawk

SteveAstbury
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
how did you find hood making, i wanted to have ago but no idea where to start

SoaringHawk
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve
Its difficult but good fun. I found thin, soft leather is best. You have to make sure the seams do not overlap, they have to butt up against each other. This is difficult because no light has to get in. I cant remember where I heard it, but I once heard to stitch hoods with dental floss. It worked.
Once the hood is finished I find soaking it in hot water and leaving to dry in the right shape on a thick broom handle or similar...it then hardens into that position. Pattern can be found on the internet.

Sparticus
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Cheers Jay. I may have to have a go now!
Anyway Im going...need to make a swing lure. Anyone know a good way of making pheasant wings to put on instead of having to buy them?

if your not catching any pheseants or don't have access to any shot birds chop some of a road kill bird and dry them.
personally don't bother with wings on my lures any more.

Salty
04-01-2009, 09:48 PM

spot on that was my reply i was going to add ,thats whats in mine ,if i want a bit heavier lure so not to carry to far ,i drill the handle either side and pour a bit lead in it and araldite over this it works a treat for me :supz:

Leo 1
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
i use sreded carry bags for my lures

Hawking
04-01-2009, 10:19 PM
So no one use's wings tied back too back? well i do. no extra weight except for the small chunk of meat. or bunny hide? I thought most did it this way.

Leo 1
04-01-2009, 10:22 PM
So no one use's wings tied back too back? well i do. no extra weight except for the small chunk of meat. or bunny hide? I thought most did it this way.

i do with the crow wings i have

Falconry Equipment International
04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Mike I did for 20 years or so until I took up game hawking and soon changed to a leather lure pad filled with sheep's wool ~ still do and sell then same that I use,& in fact I quickly wed the falcon to the lure so that I can get a hawk back from an unsuccessful flight or even off a kill with out any hassle. hth

Sky Gypsy
04-01-2009, 11:41 PM
In my opinion making your own furniture is part and parcel to becoming a true falconer... oh and it saves money too.:yawinkle:

Hawking
05-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Mike I did for 20 years or so until I took up game hawking and soon changed to a leather lure pad filled with sheep's wool ~ still do and sell then same that I use,& in fact I quickly wed the falcon to the lure so that I can get a hawk back from an unsuccessful flight or even off a kill with out any hassle. hth

Ok you got me hook line and sinker...........not having used one before...and not flying game hawks as of yet;)......I am at a loss to say why one would use a pad verse just wings. Maybe a good topic for another thread but atleast send me a link so I dont miss it:oops:.

Falconry Equipment International
05-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Ok you got me hook line and sinker...........not having used one before...and not flying game hawks as of yet;)......I am at a loss to say why one would use a pad verse just wings. Maybe a good topic for another thread but atleast send me a link so I dont miss it:oops:.

Hi Mike , wasnt meant to do that at all, but if you have meat on the lure * the main weight of the lure for you, it can fall off/ get snatched off by the falcon, go off / get cr*p on it / freeze etc before the falcon can get her/his reward, then there is the psychological side of it if the falcon flies to this because it knows its going to be rewarded, then it will be well motivated to do so, + you can control the amount of reward far better when the falcon is on your fist. does that help and make sense?

Leo 1
05-01-2009, 01:51 AM
lets see some pics of the stuf people haVE MAED THEN

Wilfred
05-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Good idea. But i would restrict to more uncommon things made by falconers. Not the regular jesses or leashes or gloves. Uncommon jesses/gloves/leashes and maybe telemetry blocks and the like

SoaringHawk
05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
This is my swing lure it hasnt turned out quite how I wanted its abit fatter than I wanted.
The wings are ready so they can be used bare as in the photo or other wings attatched.
Because I do not have alot of leather equipment, I punched small holes arounf the edge of the two body pieces and threaded them with 15lb fishing line. It is stuffed as reccomended with plastic bags. Where the meat is attatched, I punched two holes in a guitar plectrum and tied sum kite line through the leather of the lure and through the two holes and tied on top, thus creating something to tie and mount the food on67696

Dean
05-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I use a soft leather lure with no harsh attatchments,swivel approx 3ft up the line,I always use duck wings!