PDA

View Full Version : Falconry Originals Gloves

Sam Kelly
02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm looking a buying myself a decent glove as I'm flying my mentors male Harris as my own next season, and think I've made my mind up on a Falconry Originals "Camster" glove.

I've tried a Falconry Originals made glove on before and found it very supple and comfortable, and also very well made. I also have the leather Islay hawking bag from them and I'm really chuffed with it. The workmanship is excellent.

Just wondering how many of you use Falconry Original gloves and what you think of them?

Cheers, Sam

Fraser Hamilton
02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm looking a buying myself a decent glove as I'm flying my mentors male Harris as my own next season, and think I've made my mind up on a Falconry Originals "Camster" glove.

I've tried a Falconry Originals made glove on before and found it very supple and comfortable, and also very well made. I also have the leather Islay hawking bag from them and I'm really chuffed with it. The workmanship is excellent.

Just wondering how many of you use Falconry Original gloves and what you think of them?

Cheers, Sam

i have 1 and love it done me 6 seasons so far and its had some use and abuse thay are some cumfyer gloves out thare but thay last no whare near aslong :supz:

Kat67
02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
My 'best' glove is Falconry Originals and I like it very much too. Supple, smart and fits like a glove should! I also have a Falcon Crest one for feeding which is lovely too but it's much thicker.

Rocky
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I won't use anything else but a 'Yarak Deluxe' falconry original glove :supz:

Sam Kelly
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks like I'm making a decent choice then going off your views!

Any more comments will be appreciated..

Cheers

Jim Wale
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
i to like falconry originals gloves but dont rule out ben lons as he designed all of falconry originals anyway

Sam Kelly
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
i to like falconry originals gloves but dont rule out ben lons as he designed all of falconry originals anyway

Yeah I read that. And Ben Longs are cheaper at the mo!!, but I think I prefer the darker colour of Falconry Originals.

Cheers for that mate

GoodFooter
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Cheers, Sam
Hi Sam
I have a 'camster' have you seen and tried one?....they are nice for spars and smaller falcons and 100% reliable hawks as they are quite short and single thickness and a glove you can really feel though.....if your HH means to he should be able to get his claws through a camster, I can see he's trained so shouldnt be a problem but just thought I make sure you knew they were one of the lighter weight gloves....atleast mine is ( but is 10yrs old and light grey not the dark brown like the new ones)....if you planning on flying larger hawks in the future or training a new one I'd say go for a 'yarak' to save buying another later.
.....Fit wise and quality my 2 gloves from them are exceptional.. good choice of maker.
ATB Rob

Sam Kelly
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Sam
I have a 'camster' have you seen and tried one?....they are nice for spars and smaller falcons and 100% reliable hawks as they are quite short and single thickness and a glove you can really feel though.....if your HH means to he should be able to get his claws through a camster, I can see he's trained so shouldnt be a problem but just thought I make sure you knew they were one of the lighter weight gloves....atleast mine is....if you planning on flying larger hawks in the future or training a new one I'd say go for a 'yarak' to save buying another later.
.....Fit wise and quality my 2 gloves from them are exceptional.. good choice of maker.
ATB Rob

Yeah, the "Camster" is a single thickness glove. I was originally going to get a double thickness glove but I wanted a Falconry Originals one and the "Yarak" looks very long and from flying I've done last season I prefer a shorter glove. One of the falconers that I also regularly go out with uses a very short single thickness glove on a male Harris, and whilst looking round other suppliers I noticed that Ben Long's "Harris Hawk" glove is single thickness so assumed the "Camster" would be OK??

Also the Harris is an '08 bird that my mentor bought for his son but he didn't give it 100% so it's mine for next season :supz: I don't think it was flown very regularly last season but did have a few kills and is quite well manned so do you think the "Camster" would be OK?

Cheers for that, may have to look at what's best then?

Sam

GoodFooter
03-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, the "Camster" is a single thickness glove. I was originally going to get a double thickness glove but I wanted a Falconry Originals one and the "Yarak" looks very long and from flying I've done last season I prefer a shorter glove. One of the falconers that I also regularly go out with uses a very short single thickness glove on a male Harris, and whilst looking round other suppliers I noticed that Ben Long's "Harris Hawk" glove is single thickness so assumed the "Camster" would be OK??

Also the Harris is an '08 bird that my mentor bought for his son but he didn't give it 100% so it's mine for next season :supz: I don't think it was flown very regularly last season but did have a few kills and is quite well manned so do you think the "Camster" would be OK?

Cheers for that, may have to look at what's best then?

Sam

I'll download a photo of my 'camster' vs the 'yarak' on my fist for you tommorow ......bear in mind they are so well made they are both over 10yrs old and clearly a different leather....like you I'll be ordering a new one for next season.

I think you will get away with the camster without any problems and if you like a glove where you can really feel the birds feet its the glove for you....my male gos sits better on the slightly stiffer 'yarak'....most hawks dont grip when trained so its not a major issue.

Were you considering flying a female any time in the future I'd say 100% 'yarak', if you plan to fly smaller hawks or any of the falcons than a camster is a good choice......otherwise its personal preference, but if you ever do lean towards an RT forget the camster get the yarak...that applies for male or female

Sam Kelly
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll download a photo of my 'camster' vs the 'yarak' on my fist for you tommorow ......bear in mind they are so well made they are both over 10yrs old and clearly a different leather....like you I'll be ordering a new one for next season.

I think you will get away with the camster without any problems and if you like a glove where you can really feel the birds feet its the glove for you....my male gos sits better on the slightly stiffer 'yarak'....most hawks dont grip when trained so its not a major issue.

Were you considering flying a female any time in the future I'd say 100% 'yarak', if you plan to fly smaller hawks or any of the falcons than a camster is a good choice......otherwise its personal preference, but if you ever do lean towards an RT forget the camster get the yarak...that applies for male or female

Pictures would be great mate if you don't mind. Ha, it does say in my profile I'm leaning towards a RT but for the forseeable future I won't be able to have my own bird!! Many thanks for posting, been a big help.

Cheers

EdenJohnny
04-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Well My OH bought me a new glove for xmas from Falconry Fabrications ( a sponsor to this site) Then glove arrived a beautiful fit) very prompt service was great b b I oiled it and it is superb Johnny

"On Wings Like Eagles"
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I use the 'Camster' & it is excellent, but I do intend to get the 'Yarak' as the extra thickness is good for my HH, who sometimes puts on a little too much pressure..!

Make sure that you buy the one that fits the most snugly, almost tight, as they 'give' a little as they mould to the shape of your hand.

Nigel

Hawker-08
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
ive gta say i use ben long all the time
i think his kit is the best

Sam Kelly
04-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I use the 'Camster' & it is excellent, but I do intend to get the 'Yarak' as the extra thickness is good for my HH, who sometimes puts on a little too much pressure..!

Make sure that you buy the one that fits the most snugly, almost tight, as they 'give' a little as they mould to the shape of your hand.

Nigel

Good post, thanks for that. You can send a hand tracing and measurements to get an exact fit can't you? That's what I was going to do.

Cheers, Sam

Claire
05-03-2009, 07:13 AM
My first glove was a falconry originals Yarak glove, I was helping at a centre at the time and it was suitable for all the birds we flew there (no eagles lol)
once I was just flying a kes it was a bit overkill so I got myself a pineo glove, which I also find is fine for my little male harris, but I still have the falconry originals glove and would still use it for a bigger bird.

Yeoman
05-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Yeah I read that. And Ben Longs are cheaper at the mo!!, but I think I prefer the darker colour of Falconry Originals.

Cheers for that mate

Stick with Chris Allen at falconry originals mate:yawinkle: he is a good bloke, ive always had a good deal with him, and a few of his cans:D
Atb Kev

GoodFooter
06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Pictures would be great mate if you don't mind. Ha, it does say in my profile I'm leaning towards a RT but for the forseeable future I won't be able to have my own bird!! Many thanks for posting, been a big help.

Cheers

Sorry for not posting the pics.....realised I gave the yarak to 'Flying free' and my camster was made by ben long....though I believe the pattern is the same.
I'll pop photos up regardless.

Bird Girl
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
i have the falconry originals yarak. have had it for years, and i had another one before that. will never use another glove except for the yarak. and the birds i train range from a merlin right up to a bald eagle and griffon vultures. this glove is suitable for everything. never had a problem. best glove in the world, but i like the style of the ben longs too, and sometimes pinch my colleagues for a change. i always go back to my trusty yarak tho.

Madi
06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
if you ask chris at falconry originals nicely he will make you a one off if you want a camster with an overlay he will do you one he actually makes his gloves not like the new ben long ones which are mass produced in china i think.

Sam Kelly
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
if you ask chris at falconry originals nicely he will make you a one off if you want a camster with an overlay he will do you one he actually makes his gloves not like the new ben long ones which are mass produced in china i think.

Cheers for that, I might just do that. Thought I'd get myself a decent Falconry Originals glove to match the bag!!

Cheers mate

monsstar
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
hi Ive tried to get on the falconry originals web site but comes up broken anyone having same problem or just me:?:

Trigger
18-02-2012, 12:40 PM
My yarak glove has sadly died, I cannot find Falocnry originals on tinternet and their website is down. Please tell me they are still in buisness as I only like this make!!

Glencoe2
18-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I have had my yarak glove for 15 year now.and still going strong.

Aldo06
18-02-2012, 02:59 PM
My yarak glove has sadly died, I cannot find Falocnry originals on tinternet and their website is down. Please tell me they are still in buisness as I only like this make!!Good question I would like to know if he is still trading as I could do with a few things topping up does anyone know if chris is still going.
atb Allan.

RD Falconry
18-02-2012, 03:42 PM
If anyone is looking for a nice,soft supple glove that does the job without breaking the bank then check out www.rdfalconry.co.uk. New gloves coming in March too!

Yeoman
18-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Cheers for that mate

Stick with Chris at falconry origanols pal

Carol Smith
18-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Stick with Chris at falconry origanols palyou cant get hold of that chris .. hes a waister

ChrisWilson
18-02-2012, 07:46 PM

IMO The quality has slipped on his gloves jim. I used to love his stuff but i go elsewhere now. Ben long that is.

Trigger
18-02-2012, 08:09 PM
carn't get their website up and no answer on a phone number I had. My yarak is my second, this one has lasted 9 years but the stitching is going. My very first glove was a ben long yarak. Lots on the market but not struck on some of the coloours!! Have just ordered a ben long 'khan' delux. Hope its good!

Tiercel
18-02-2012, 09:32 PM
he never answer's his phone, home or workshop,and left messages and he never phones back,think it's the same for most people,what do's anybody else say ,any one managed to speak to him recently?
david

Pearl
19-02-2012, 08:19 AM
i always had stuff of him always liked his gear a few years back i rang him arranged to meet him at his house to spend about 150 quid got there after a hour driving he was not home and didnt answer his phone , so i drove back and never bothered with him to this day

Yeoman
20-02-2012, 11:58 AM
try these

Tiercel
24-02-2012, 07:36 AM
try these

that's the number's i have used plus a mobile number
david