PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the Merlin System Tracker Ultima Receiver ?

CoastalGyr
27-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Looking to purchase a new telemetry system, and would like some input. Which do you prefer ,why,and which one is most user friendly ? Jeff

Turumti
27-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Are you considering the 433MHz system? I dont use this system, but I was in the Guld when they were testing one there last year, and it rocked!! It was the only receiver transmitter combo that was working in an area of the desert known to swallow transmitter signals, because of the nature of the dunes.

I use a Merlin Systems R-400 receiver with a 3-element folding Yagi and an assortment of Merlin transmitters, such as the mini-FMV, the FMV, the 1/3N FMV, the 1/3N MX, and Saker Commander transmitters, and I am more than pleased with this system. It has helped me find birds on more than one occasion, and outperforms several other systems costing almost twice as much or more.

CoastalGyr
27-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Thank you so much, that's just what I wanted to hear. Jeff

Saunders
29-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi there, I use one on 173, its great very directional.I use it on a goss havent tryed it with a falcon.
Will

ScotFalconer
29-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I used it last season (173) and thought it was a good piece of kit,compact and accurate.

Dan Bray
29-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I,ve got one, and think its great.

John Soulsby
29-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Used one on 173 for both falcons and hawks and found it extremely good although I also use a mag mount for the car. I have tracked falcons over ten miles.

John

Aman
30-06-2009, 07:24 PM
A freind has one in 433, awesome, and directional, very powerfull for its size, its great because you can add a bigger yagi if needed

LeilaGSD
30-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi used the 216 for about 4 years never had any problems on hawks or falcons easy to carry and use

paul

Hatchero
30-06-2009, 07:41 PM
the merlin/tracker is what i use and find it quite handy, just toss it in the hawk bag until you need it. its pretty darn rugged, i even went on an unexpected swim with it and it never skipped a beat. i have not ever had any difficulty finding my gyrkin or any of my falcons and some of those grouse flights can go a ways. for the most part it works well with just the integral antennas but for extreme cases you can hook up a multi-element yagi and drag in a very week signal. talk to fellow IFF member BMurphy, i think he likes his and lives not far from you so your results should be about the same as his. As you might guess i am a little biased so please take that into account.
jim

tomausten
01-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I've just bought a tracker system (finntracker) from someone on the forum, it's an older system but the modern version looks very similar the the merlin system. If the merlin system is anything like this tracker I've just got it's quite impressive.Once again thanks to nutsy.

VGParcels
18-11-2010, 11:42 PM
By far the best system I have ever used.
Checkout this
http://thefalconersforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2746

Miguel Gomez
18-11-2010, 11:50 PM
I use both Merlin ultimo 216 and Marshall ...the Marshall more directional close up, but the Merlin picks up the signal just as well....handy to use in the car as well.

It out performed a roof mounted omni diRectional sitting on my dash , whilst tracking down a mates tiercel

VGParcels
18-11-2010, 11:53 PM
I use both Merlin ultimo 216 and Marshall ...the Marshall more directional close up, but the Merlin picks up the signal just as well....handy to use in the car as well.

It out performed a roof mounted omni diRectional sitting on my dash , whilst tracking down a mates tiercel
I find that with ear phones plugged in I can track down to 6 inches not bad as Ive tried the marshall, nm10 and a good few others mate.
Atvb
Gary

CanadaManada
19-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I have three of the Merlins here, 173, 216, 433, as well as the Tracker Ultima - it's namesake.
Good kit but if I ended up under high tension transmission towers, "WOOOORRRRRRRRRRRR"!

VGParcels
19-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I have three of the Merlins here, 173, 216, 433, as well as the Tracker Ultima - it's namesake.
Good kit but if I ended up under high tension transmission towers, "WOOOORRRRRRRRRRRR"!Ive had no problems Justin and I fly around a power station on a regular basis and under pylons. Always track to transmiter no probs, wonder if there is more interference in Japan mate.

CanadaManada
19-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Ive had no problems Justin and I fly around a power station on a regular basis and under pylons. Always track to transmiter no probs, wonder if there is more interference in Japan mate.

I don't know exactly about what you guys have over there, but here we have double polelines of 250ft and 300+ft towers with 8 lines running, each.
I have no doubt that we have a lot more interference over here compared to most places.

VGParcels
19-11-2010, 04:32 AM
I don't know exactly about what you guys have over there, but here we have double polelines of 250ft and 300+ft towers with 8 lines running, each.
I have no doubt that we have a lot more interference over here compared to most places.
Touch wood Ive had not problems at all Justin.:supz:

LeilaGSD
19-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Miguel what mates ?

Paul

Miguel Gomez
19-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Miguel what mates ?

Paul

Our mate...we tracked it outside Seaford