PDA

View Full Version : Housing red tails

Dave G
14-09-2005, 09:05 AM
was just wondering who free lofts their redtails all year round, or are they bowed just when hunting and free lofted for the moult as reds can be tempermentle who does what cheers

Wightwings
14-09-2005, 03:09 PM
never had a Red so interested to read any feedback on this subject...i would assume they are as you say free L in the summer and teathered in the season for best results?

Dave G
14-09-2005, 03:13 PM
a mate of mine was breeding them for about 10 years said didnt recommend free lofting a red tail as can get very teritorial and getting nailed by one hurts a little and they dont let go

MickeyDredd
14-09-2005, 03:41 PM
I normally bow perch my FRT all year round but after she laid an egg this spring :shock: I free-lofted her with a MRT through the moult. She showed no signs of aggression towards me at any time, a little more reluctant to step on to the fist when I went to pick her up but no problems at all, and as soon as she was kitted up and perched she happily then stepped up.

When I picked her up two weeks ago her tail is in stunning condition compared to when she has been bow-perched through the moult, although it was usually in good condition.

FRT with young can be very aggressive but with regard to simply freelofting a lone bird, the only problem I can think may occur is the bird crashing about a bit when on weight.

Dave G
14-09-2005, 03:52 PM
cheers mickey i also bow my red at all times as she has always been bowed ever since she was 20 weeks old and is very steady she is now 3 years old and her weight goes up to 3lb 10 oz and in prime condition as you can see in the members pics

DavidS
14-09-2005, 09:02 PM
hi there, i freeloft my RT. i find there are no probs with my bird. i put bamboo bars up at the window to stop feather damage.
when i go in to pick her up i just put a small tidbit on my glove and she jumps staight to it. my bird was good natured whilst teathered and is still good now she's freelofted. :D

GrendlesGirl
02-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I fly a female red tail who was trapped from the wild. I have free lofted her in a giant mews that I have. She has not been agressive but I do not feed her in the mews. She is only fed when out weathering or when she is training/hunting so she comes out of the mews pretty easily.

I did hae to put up foam on the top corners of the mews as she was tipping primaries by flying and turning in the corners.