Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey? (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Goshawk found in Suffolk (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141843)

BlueBerry 11-07-2017 02:34 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk

This particular bird had anklets on as we were at the show who's land it was on and the gamekeeper came over to us asking it it was ours. It had gone in after a Jay.

Shaun Bannister 11-07-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154962)
yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

indeed sadly but necessarily the hand has been revealed, so the option is gone, but i'm inclined to agree,lets hope he has a fulfilling life hereon in

nice story

DaveyMc 11-07-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

Why dont you let your bird free

Chance 11-07-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

To say it should go back to the wild is ludicrous, you don't even know for certain how long the bird has been free, someone else could have had the bird and he may have only been free for a matter of months.

BlueBerry 11-07-2017 06:16 PM

The bird is very lucky that he fell in the hands of a very nice gamekeeper who respects BOP, he catches about two a month and lets them go.

We have offered next year when we do the show for his son to come over and into the ring and fly one of the Hawks as his son is bird of prey mad.

It may of not been so lucky as was on pheasant shoot estate.

Tony James 11-07-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker (Post 2154957)
Hi Tony, Did you know the owner?

Hi Steve, no. I'll meet him for the first time when he's able to collect his hawk.
Best wishes,
Tony.

John155 11-07-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony James (Post 2154952)
Thanks.
The owner made contact this evening, and is looking forward to meeting the goshawk he last saw 7 years ago!
Best wishes,
Tony.

Wow !

If that bird has been out the whole time then that is one hell of a hack !

May take abit of manning down I would guess but should be good at hunting once done !

ATB
John155

Tony James 11-07-2017 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Hi René.
I appreciate the sentiment, but the gos is close rung and wearing anklets, so he belonged to somebody.
The owner may indeed to liberate him, I don't know. But it's his choice not mine, and I'm not at liberty to take decisions like that on his behalf.
If I lost a hawk that was later recovered by someone else, I like to think that they would take every care of her, respecting both her and me.
Best wishes,
Tony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John155 (Post 2154976)
Wow !

If that bird has been out the whole time then that is one hell of a hack !

May take abit of manning down I would guess but should be good at hunting once done !

ATB
John155

He's a wonderful hawk, with perfect manners and the temperament of the worldly wise wonder that he is.

T0M 11-07-2017 06:53 PM

He is a nice bird and if the owner had not come forward I'd have loved the opportunity to fly him. He is one lucky owner

René 11-07-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyMc (Post 2154968)
Why dont you let your bird free

If death is freedom then she's free, just after Christmas at 15 years old.