Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey? (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Goshawk found in Suffolk (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141843)

Tony James 14-07-2017 06:26 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJMWyoming (Post 2155076)
This thread caught my interest. I flew North American Goshawks for many years. Both wild taken eyasses and passage birds. I love them.

This whole scenario seems a bit goofy to me. If the guy who owned the bird released it intentionally, he obviously doesn't want it. If it was found and returned to the guy, why doesn't he just give or sell the bird to a falconer to fly? Sounds as though it would make a sweet game hawk.

All my best,

Dan McCarron

Hi Dan,

he didn't release it intentionally, but lost it while hawking.

Best wishes,

Tony.

BlueBerry 18-07-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony James (Post 2155073)
Out of interest Angie, why didn't you take him?
You could have saved me so much effort. lol

The reason was, the gamekeeper whose trap it was in, was given one of our cards, so if the bird wasn't picked up we would of then taken it, the last I heard was it had been picked up by someone, so there was no problem.

Also it was better that it be reclaimed there rather than us take it all the way back to Lincolnshire, as the owner most probably lived in the area. We picked up a European eagle owl once from quite a distance away from us, when the owner was found he wanted us to deliver it back to him rather than him make the journey to pick it up, in the end he never arrived and we had the problem of re homing it.

Tony James 18-07-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBerry (Post 2155115)
The reason was, the gamekeeper whose trap it was in, was given one of our cards, so if the bird wasn't picked up we would of then taken it, the last I heard was it had been picked up by someone, so there was no problem.

Also it was better that it be reclaimed there rather than us take it all the way back to Lincolnshire, as the owner most probably lived in the area. We picked up a European eagle owl once from quite a distance away from us, when the owner was found he wanted us to deliver it back to him rather than him make the journey to pick it up, in the end he never arrived and we had the problem of re homing it.

Let's just hope Angie, if you lose a hawk yourself, which turns up in a keeper's larson trap, somebody makes the effort to collect it and look after it for you until you're reunited, rather than turn their back on the problem.

BlueBerry 18-07-2017 05:48 PM

Why would I go and collect a bird that had already been picked up ???????
Also you forget we are at work, Im sure the organizers wouldn't mind that we told them we couldn't do there display (which is what we are been paid for) as we had to go and pick up a bird that was already been dealt with and that didn't belong to us.
Not forgetting we have a van full of birds, if we had to one of my owls would have to come up the front with us so we could get it in, or would you suggest strapping it onto the roof ??

Tony James 18-07-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBerry (Post 2155118)
Also you forget we are at work, Im sure the organizers wouldn't mind that we told them we couldn't do there display (which is what we are been paid for) as we had to go and pick up a bird that was already been dealt with and that didn't belong to us.
Not forgetting we have a van full of birds, if we had to one of my owls would have to come up the front with us so we could get it in, or would you suggest strapping it onto the roof ??

I'm not suggesting anything Angie. I don't need to.

BlueBerry 18-07-2017 06:34 PM

Good !!!

René 19-07-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBerry (Post 2155118)

Well, it had 'already been picked up' by a gamekeeper from a larson trap. He approaches you for assistance because you're doing a show on the land he keeps.....and you give him your card. LoL It's the difference between a falconer and a display bird business, which is why you were perfectly comfortable to leave the hawk and a falconer would not have done so. You say earlier that the keeper's lad is crazy about hawks, so you offer him the opportunity to fly one in the ring next year. He'll be a country lad and you'd be best referring him to a falconer so he might learn about falconry.
I'd be grateful if you didn't reply because all that self justifying verbiage above has given me a headache.

Keith Barker 19-07-2017 07:17 AM

Here we go again!

BlueBerry 19-07-2017 10:04 AM

Rene my dear, try reading correctly first !!! Lets explain slowly for you, firstly the gamekeeper had not touched the bird, as it had ALREADY BEEN ARRAIGNED BY HIM TO BE PICKED UP, ok have you got that bit !!!
He came over to us to ask if the bird was ours !!!! have you got that bit !!!
We said No it was not ours, Got that !!!! I gave him a card telling him if it was NOT picked up we would come over and help, Got that bit !!!
At no time had we been asked to collect the bird,

Oh by the way "Anadin Extra" works wonders.:D

John155 19-07-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chance (Post 2155052)
I think this is the same guy who's now on Facebook talking about releasing it again, absolutely ridiculous in my mind, not to mention that he's been told by Defra and Natural England that its captive bred and he's not allowed to.

So does anyone know if this was the same guy and did he release it back to the wild ?

ATB
John155