Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey? (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Goshawk found in Suffolk (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141843)

Tony James 09-07-2017 02:19 PM

Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
I've picked up an adult male goshawk today in Suffolk, and any help in finding its owner would be appreciated.
It is wearing jesses and is close rung.
Regards,
Tony.

BradazTheFalconer 09-07-2017 08:03 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony James (Post 2154928)
I've picked up an adult male goshawk today in Suffolk, and any help in finding its owner would be appreciated.
It is wearing jesses and is close rung.
Regards,
Tony.

Nice thing to do Tony. Hopefully you'll be able to get it reunited with its owner, hopefully the IBR will be able to work their magic!

Kind Regards,

Bradley

Phil71 10-07-2017 02:13 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
at least it,s safe now hope you find the owner soon well done mate

Tony James 10-07-2017 11:54 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Thanks.
The owner made contact this evening, and is looking forward to meeting the goshawk he last saw 7 years ago!
Best wishes,
Tony.

ChrisSquance 11-07-2017 12:44 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Unbelievable Tony, I take it that he is in good health. How did you manage to pick him up, did he get himself caught in a Partridge pen or something similar. As I am guessing after seven years it wouldn't be too keen to come to the fist of the lure. Anyway great news. Almost makes you think he might be worth releasing again seeing as he's obviously been doing so well. All the best Chris

Tony James 11-07-2017 01:21 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSquance (Post 2154954)
Unbelievable Tony, I take it that he is in good health. How did you manage to pick him up, did he get himself caught in a Partridge pen or something similar. As I am guessing after seven years it wouldn't be too keen to come to the fist of the lure. Anyway great news. Almost makes you think he might be worth releasing again seeing as he's obviously been doing so well. All the best Chris

Hi Chris,
he was caught in a Larson trap apparently, and despite a little superficial damage, is fine.
I must admit to being very taken with him, and prior to the owner getting in touch, was starting to fantasise a little ;-).
But the original owner is excited at the prospect of having him again, so there's only one thing I can do now of course.
Best wishes,
Tony.

Hardcore Hawker 11-07-2017 07:29 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Hi Tony, Did you know the owner?

Phil71 11-07-2017 07:38 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Seven years bet the old boys fathered a few cluches then,great news anyway nice one:D

René 11-07-2017 08:06 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony James (Post 2154955)
........, so there's only one thing I can do now of course.

Tony.


yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

T0M 11-07-2017 01:52 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154962)
yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

Are you suggesting that a bird of prey is better off in the wild? Funny comment that for a falconry forum isn't it!

BlueBerry 11-07-2017 02:34 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
This particular bird had anklets on as we were at the show who's land it was on and the gamekeeper came over to us asking it it was ours. It had gone in after a Jay.

Shaun Bannister 11-07-2017 04:51 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154962)
yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

indeed sadly but necessarily the hand has been revealed, so the option is gone, but i'm inclined to agree,lets hope he has a fulfilling life hereon in

nice story

DaveyMc 11-07-2017 05:42 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154962)
yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

Why dont you let your bird free

Chance 11-07-2017 06:15 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154962)
yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

To say it should go back to the wild is ludicrous, you don't even know for certain how long the bird has been free, someone else could have had the bird and he may have only been free for a matter of months.

BlueBerry 11-07-2017 06:16 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
The bird is very lucky that he fell in the hands of a very nice gamekeeper who respects BOP, he catches about two a month and lets them go.

We have offered next year when we do the show for his son to come over and into the ring and fly one of the Hawks as his son is bird of prey mad.

It may of not been so lucky as was on pheasant shoot estate.

Tony James 11-07-2017 06:32 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker (Post 2154957)
Hi Tony, Did you know the owner?

Hi Steve, no. I'll meet him for the first time when he's able to collect his hawk.
Best wishes,
Tony.

John155 11-07-2017 06:34 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony James (Post 2154952)
Thanks.
The owner made contact this evening, and is looking forward to meeting the goshawk he last saw 7 years ago!
Best wishes,
Tony.

Wow !

If that bird has been out the whole time then that is one hell of a hack !

May take abit of manning down I would guess but should be good at hunting once done !

ATB
John155

Tony James 11-07-2017 06:39 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154962)
yes, trip as you carry him with no equipment on so that he's 'sadly' lost back to the wild and free life he's lived for years. Poor lad.

Hi René.
I appreciate the sentiment, but the gos is close rung and wearing anklets, so he belonged to somebody.
The owner may indeed to liberate him, I don't know. But it's his choice not mine, and I'm not at liberty to take decisions like that on his behalf.
If I lost a hawk that was later recovered by someone else, I like to think that they would take every care of her, respecting both her and me.
Best wishes,
Tony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John155 (Post 2154976)
Wow !

If that bird has been out the whole time then that is one hell of a hack !

May take abit of manning down I would guess but should be good at hunting once done !

ATB
John155

He's a wonderful hawk, with perfect manners and the temperament of the worldly wise wonder that he is.

T0M 11-07-2017 06:53 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
He is a nice bird and if the owner had not come forward I'd have loved the opportunity to fly him. He is one lucky owner

René 11-07-2017 06:53 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyMc (Post 2154968)
Why dont you let your bird free


If death is freedom then she's free, just after Christmas at 15 years old.

Tony James 11-07-2017 06:57 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by T0M (Post 2154979)
He is a nice bird and if the owner had not come forward I'd have loved the opportunity to fly him. He is one lucky owner

Indeed. He's a hawk I've quickly grown fond of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154980)
If death is freedom then she's free, just after Christmas at 15 years old.

I'm sorry to read that René.

Best wishes,

Tony.

John155 11-07-2017 07:07 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
He's a wonderful hawk, with perfect manners and the temperament of the worldly wise wonder that he is.[/QUOTE]

Do you think he may not have been out the whole 7 years ?
Perhaps recovered by someone and re-lost as it were ?

ATB
John155

Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154980)
If death is freedom then she's free, just after Christmas at 15 years old.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
Will you be replacing ?

ATB
John155

DaveyMc 11-07-2017 07:22 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154980)
If death is freedom then she's free, just after Christmas at 15 years old.

You getting another?

Tony James 11-07-2017 07:53 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John155 (Post 2154983)
He's a wonderful hawk, with perfect manners and the temperament of the worldly wise wonder that he is.

Do you think he may not have been out the whole 7 years ?
Perhaps recovered by someone and re-lost as it were ?

ATB
John155



I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
Will you be replacing ?

ATB
John155[/QUOTE]

I can't be certain, but before discovering his known history, I thought it likely that he'd been out for a long time.
I've been forwarded photographs of him before he was lost, and it looks as though the anklets are the same ones, which would lead me to believe he's been living wild for the full 7 or 8 years.
I've just fed him and spent some time sitting in the garden with him. He bated only once, and is an absolute joy.
I don't think it would take much work to get him flying again, but I suspect the haggard mentality might make flying him something of an education.

TerryS 11-07-2017 09:07 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Well done Tony.

Fair play to you for being a gentleman.

It will be very interesting if we could here about his hunting ability after being liberated for several years.

I wonder if the hawk was an imprint and that's why it was so steady with you after capture ?

Regards

Terry

I Love My Dog 11-07-2017 09:22 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
It really is amazing get the owner was gobsmacked.

Tony James 11-07-2017 09:53 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryS (Post 2154993)
Well done Tony.

Fair play to you for being a gentleman.

It will be very interesting if we could here about his hunting ability after being liberated for several years.

I wonder if the hawk was an imprint and that's why it was so steady with you after capture ?

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

I'm doing my best to live up to what I'd hope someone would do if they found a lost hawk of mine I suppose.

He's eating well and settling down nicely, so he should be a picture when he's collected.

Apparently he was parent reared, but his long hack has instilled the kind of sense that an unhacked eyass lacks --- he's perfectly calm on my fist, but given half a chance he'd slip away and be gone like a disappearing mist.
With skilled and dedicated attention though, I bet he'd be a joy to fly.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Shaun Bannister 12-07-2017 12:00 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2154980)
If death is freedom then she's free, just after Christmas at 15 years old.

Hi Rene
Sorry for your loss, redeemed only by knowing the life you gave her was the best, if ever you want a free Harris hawk or redtail of either sex just let me know and it's yours I would be proud for you to have one of my birds xx

Tony that pic is going to haunt you 😁😁😁

XiaTeal'c 12-07-2017 08:10 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
How old is the gos Tony?

Keith Barker 12-07-2017 09:37 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John155 (Post 2154976)
Wow !

If that bird has been out the whole time then that is one hell of a hack !

May take abit of manning down I would guess but should be good at hunting once done !

ATB
John155

I disagree,
His style of hunting would now be that of a wild goshawk and not the style of a falconer who flys goshawks in a sporting manner.
Keith

T0M 12-07-2017 10:13 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Barker (Post 2155007)
I disagree,
His style of hunting would now be that of a wild goshawk and not the style of a falconer who flys goshawks in a sporting manner.
Keith

Keith do you not think it would be fit and with a few adjustments make a good falconry bird? Not disagreeing with what you said btw just interested.

Regards
Tom

Keith Barker 12-07-2017 10:24 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by T0M (Post 2155009)
Keith do you not think it would be fit and with a few adjustments make a good falconry bird? Not disagreeing with what you said btw just interested.

Regards
Tom

Hello Tom,
Having been in the same situation myself a long time ago i would say the austringer would slip the hawk then once it had refused the pheasant or rabbit he had asked it to wrestle to the floor it would take stand at the top of the highest tree and wait for something more suited to him like a squirrel, stoat rat, young squab in a nest, anything easy will do, nine years of a habbit will be very difficult to change with a few weeks of reclamation.
One of the reasons passage birds are more favoured than the Haggard.
Keith

T0M 12-07-2017 10:35 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Barker (Post 2155011)
Hello Tom,
Having been in the same situation myself a long time ago i would say the austringer would slip the hawk then once it had refused the pheasant or rabbit he had asked it to wrestle to the floor it would take stand at the top of the highest tree and wait for something more suited to him like a squirrel, stoat rat, young squab in a nest, anything easy will do, nine years of a habbit will be very difficult to change with a few weeks of reclamation.
One of the reasons passage birds are more favoured than the Haggard.
Keith

I get where you're coming from. I was thinking about the ones that are trapped and I guess this scenario is about as close as we can get here.
Regards
Tom

BradazTheFalconer 12-07-2017 11:16 AM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
That is really impressive. It would be very interesting to see what he is like and how long it takes (if he will) to be able to hunt alongside someone again after so long. The amount of natural ability he must have picked up whilst being out for those years would certainly be something to witness.

Kind Regards,

Bradley

DaveyMc 12-07-2017 02:14 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister (Post 2154998)
Hi Rene
Sorry for your loss, redeemed only by knowing the life you gave her was the best, if ever you want a free Harris hawk or redtail of either sex just let me know and it's yours I would be proud for you to have one of my birds xx

Tony that pic is going to haunt you 😁😁😁

Shaun ill have a free harris
Send your adress
Cheers

John155 12-07-2017 09:22 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Barker (Post 2155011)
Hello Tom,
Having been in the same situation myself a long time ago i would say the austringer would slip the hawk then once it had refused the pheasant or rabbit he had asked it to wrestle to the floor it would take stand at the top of the highest tree and wait for something more suited to him like a squirrel, stoat rat, young squab in a nest, anything easy will do, nine years of a habbit will be very difficult to change with a few weeks of reclamation.
One of the reasons passage birds are more favoured than the Haggard.
Keith

I hadn't thought of it like that but what you say Keith makes perfect sense !
Having never flown an accipiter what would I know !

Would still be interested to see how it gets on once back with the owner.

ATB
John155

Tony James 12-07-2017 10:03 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c (Post 2155006)
How old is the gos Tony?

Hi Mike,

he's a 2009 bird, and he's just been collected by his original owner.
I'm kinda sad to see him go.

Hi Keith,

I know what you're saying, but, as with any passage/haggard hawk, it'll be largely dependent on the preferences he developed during his time at large, and on the preferences of the falconer.
If those two things combine, he'll be wonderful. If they don't, there may be some frustration.

Best wishes,

Tony.

I Love My Dog 12-07-2017 10:04 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Was he pleased?

Tony James 12-07-2017 10:35 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love My Dog (Post 2155028)
Was he pleased?

Yes, very pleased.
It'll be nice to hear how he gets on with what is effectively a haggard.
I hope all goes well.

I Love My Dog 12-07-2017 10:38 PM

Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk
 
Really decent of you to care for it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.