Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Forum Admin, Moderators, Staff & Members (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=323)
-   -   What ring is this please (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141469)

Sevo 13-03-2017 09:52 AM

What ring is this please

1 Attachment(s)
As titled above thanks in advance ste

Shaun Bannister 13-03-2017 11:50 AM

Re: What ring is this please

was that bird on concrete /gravel ?

Sevo 13-03-2017 11:54 AM

Only owned the bird a few days but shes on a perch now in a shed. Could i ask why? Also her foot seems to be a bit to the side?

Ste

Shaun Bannister 13-03-2017 12:33 PM

its talon is blunted ,unusual for a hh even as an eyass ,its obviously been jumping about a lot, theyre not stressy birds unless mishandled
the jess is in from the wrong side by the way

Sevo 13-03-2017 12:57 PM

Cheers for info m8, put a bath out yest for her she loved it flickering her wings in there even her head a few times. When i get home later ill take a photo of her on her perch i could do with a book a website to lean more about them if theres any info.

Thanks ste

Keith Barker 13-03-2017 02:30 PM

The ring you are asking about is a breeders ring, in your case "W" denotes the size, usually fitted to females, goshawks harris hawks and peregrines and other birds of this size, but sometimes they are fitted to males incorrectly, incorrect size could result in accidental hook ups when out hunting, there looks a lot of room around your one is it a male or a female?
I would guess that the 16 could mean it is a 2016 bird, hatched in that year, and the three digits behind this could be the breeders innitials.
Get yourself a mentor not a book.
Keith

Sevo 13-03-2017 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello keith thanks for reply i have seen a few people about these birds just could do with more knowledge. I have taken a few more pics of bird i will update shortly also the person i had her said shes a female and hunts at 2 but shes 2.5 when i had her but also said she ain't been fed for two days :( at the mo shes on three chicks a day and getting her to fly the glove with leg for treat hope to get her in shape .

Sorry for grammar ste

New pic

SloeHawk 13-03-2017 10:57 PM

Hi Steven

I appreciate you have joined the forum to gain some knowledge but unfortunately you need that information prior to buying your Harris hawk.

It is difficult to tell but looking at the picture and the way the Harris is standing your Harris has a problem with either rickets through a poor diet as a youngster or it has had a broken leg that has not been set correctly.

I am not one for newbie bashing but the way you hawk is tethered is not appropriate and it will be heading for another broken legs soon.

Please find a local falconer to help you.

ATB

Clive

Sevo 13-03-2017 11:09 PM

Thanks for reply i will get someone elsel to look at leg as i thought the same as you.

Shaun Bannister 14-03-2017 12:06 AM

Hi its right leg is not right, that dog clip is a death sentence if the leash doesn't kill it first, you need help and quickly,please sort the equipment out tomorrow before you put the bird out in the open then search here for someone to help you asap