Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   General Medical Questions & Discussions (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Feather damage (help me solve this please) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141463)

ChrisSquance 12-03-2017 11:16 PM

Re: Feather damage (help me solve this please)

When the Hawk crosses its wings over it's back, do the secondaries that are damaged come into contact with your Tail mount? Chris

Emhawk 12-03-2017 11:23 PM

Doesn't look like it but will double check tomorrow. Its baffled me for a while now that's why I've asked on here. Never seen anything on my birds even when going in at night. Everyone else I know flying with tail mounts doesn't have this problem. It seems like every bird I have suffers the same problem after around 4 months of flying.

Thanks again.

Beaner 13-03-2017 08:27 AM

What type of tail mount is it and how do you attach it to the deck/ decks?

Emhawk 13-03-2017 11:10 AM

Standard gold tail clip on the deck.

I'll try and get some more pictures on later. It starts with a small line up the feather coming from the quill about a mil long. if you look in the previous photo.

Emhawk 13-03-2017 08:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more photos if this helps anyone. Can't see it being anything to do with the tail clip and tag or my mates would have the same problem but any advise appreciated.

Thanks

SloeHawk 13-03-2017 11:31 PM

Hi Emma

Welcome to the forum, thanks for the informative post with pictures which help a great deal.

The last picture on both of your posts is feather mite damage to the feathers.

Feather mite is not difficult to treat with Johnsons anti mite but as well as treating your hawk also treat your carry box and aviaryís

http://www.gardenfeathers.co.uk/red-...tra-spray.html

I donít think you buy this now in aerosol it comes in a pump dispenser Ö..I guess something to do with global warming Ö.I donít mind a little extra sunshine :lol:

It is not recommended to treat you hawk and then box it, also if you treat your carry box let it have some ventilation before putting the hawk in the box again.

Just out of curiosity is your box wooden or plastic ? Also are your boxes used by both hawks?

ATB

Clive

Emhawk 14-03-2017 10:11 AM

Hi thanks for your reply.

The hawks have been treated for feather mite time and time again. Pens treated, plastic boxes treated, Johnson's mite spray used. Ivermectin spot on used.

The vet checked the birds over with a magnifying glass and uv light finding no mite.

The hawks are also on plastic topped block so cannot harbour mite.

Wouldn't feather mite damage all feathers including feathers up the legs?

Just don't understand if this was mite then why have they only concentrated on the inside of the secondaries?

Thanks for your reply.

SloeHawk 14-03-2017 11:26 AM

Hi Emma

I would say looking at your pictures that it is feather mite for sure, As far as I understand mites do not have to live on the hosts body but actually live in the perches and surrounding woodwork.

They visit you hawk during the night and feed off your hawk and return into the woodwork by the morning which would mean your vet would not necessarily find them on the hawk when inspected.

I have seen feather damage on all parts of a hawk and I would guess the legs of you hawk are the pathway that the mites take to your hawks body.

I understand they love woodwork and I am only guessing they would struggle to live in plastic thatís why I asked the question but would not surprise me that they could live under the astro turf on a plastic block.

I was trying to find the connection with 2 hawks having the problem in different locations which might just be coincidence and both sites are infected.

It is just breaking the life cycle of the mite, killing the mite and the nymphs and the eggs or the problem will reoccur as soon as we eventually get some warmer weather.

Its making me itch typing this now, good luck in getting to the root cause I think burning down your pens is excessive but satisfying to eradicate the mites.

ATB

Clive

Emhawk 14-03-2017 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Clive

I ripped all my pens down and started again, that's the extent I went to eliminate any possible mite issues.

Removed wooden perches etc

Everything was treated and started again.

HawkNorth 22-03-2017 12:12 PM

If its a mite living on the wood spraying it with virkons could be your answer had to deal with it on two occasions
The first time it came with a bag of dog meal the second was a neibours chicken coup virkons cleared it up the birds where treated with ivermectin