Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey? (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Lost Barn Owl (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141936)

René 07-08-2017 05:46 PM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBerry (Post 2155573)
One thing I would suggest is if you are intending on getting another bird ..........

And your advice about whether they should/should not get another owl is what? You travel around doing display work and representing 'falconry' to the public, many of whom must be inspired to get a hawk by attending your displays, many of whom will be inspired to keep a 'pet' owl. What sort of advice do you give people....or do you confine the whole issue to a 'trap'?

Mouse Bane 10-08-2017 12:21 AM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
Thank you Blueberry, nice picks. yes, we've been looking around the aviary to see where we can make some adjustments, going to have to move some stuff around, and working out how much space I'll need to open and shut a door in a 'trap' - and still be able to turn around! ... maybe a sliding door ... will continue to think. No sightings of my boy, not even a vague one. Counting the hours, the days, the missed feeds. Still out walking, driving, searching. Blasted weather - high winds and heavy rain for a week.

The other thing we're looking at is a Yale type latch. I have a heavy spring closure and bolts, but I want something that actually locks when the door swings shut.

BlueBerry 10-08-2017 04:54 PM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
That's such a pain, we have had the same weather here, high winds and rain, although you would never think it today as the sun is splitting the stones no wind !!!
A trap is very advisable as you never know, I have one on all our owls. It is never easy when you loose a bird, but like every thing accidents happen and I don't think there is a falconer on the planet who at some time hasn't had one.
Sadly you have learnt the hard way and as you are saying you are looking for a way to remedy that one. If there were never any accidents we would be living in a prefect world.

Mouse Bane 11-08-2017 07:48 PM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
I can't send a PM until I have more postings. So I'd like to say thank you to those who have sent me kind and thoughtful messages, they are very much appreciated and I appologise for not being able to answer you personally.

The True Hawker 18-08-2017 10:28 AM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
hope you get your bird back safe

Navek1987 20-08-2017 09:33 PM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
Hope you get your bird back safe ,, an ignore Rene one of the many reasons 90 % of falconers in England don't come on here lol

René 21-08-2017 07:36 AM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navek1987 (Post 2155810)
Hope you get your bird back safe ,, an ignore Rene one of the many reasons 90 % of falconers in England don't come on here lol


Focus on the Goshawk you claim to be getting and stop trying to attract my attention. There's probably no more than 10% of people calling themselves falconer who actually practice falconry anyway. Try to be one of them.
But if you feel more at home among those who keep owls and hawks as pets and are looking to buy another before they've even searched properly for the one they've lost then I suggest you don't bother at all.

Either way, I'm fussy who I talk to and you are no more than the typical semi literate, poorly educated male that swells the ranks of falconry and offers neither creative nor intellectual interest. Your type invariably talks a performance that is rarely rooted in fact and I have never wasted my time with poor performers. So this will be the first and last time I respond to you. Communicate with your own kind and don't bother me again.

Shaun Bannister 21-08-2017 11:20 AM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2155819)
Focus on the Goshawk you claim to be getting and stop trying to attract my attention. There's probably no more than 10% of people calling themselves falconer who actually practice falconry anyway. Try to be one of them.
But if you feel more at home among those who keep owls and hawks as pets and are looking to buy another before they've even searched properly for the one they've lost then I suggest you don't bother at all.

Either way, I'm fussy who I talk to and you are no more than the typical semi literate, poorly educated male that swells the ranks of falconry and offers neither creative nor intellectual interest. Your type invariably talks a performance that is rarely rooted in fact and I have never wasted my time with poor performers. So this will be the first and last time I respond to you. Communicate with your own kind and don't bother me again.



:supz:

NewToFalcons 21-08-2017 01:39 PM

Re: Lost Barn Owl
 
Hope you find your owl OP. I don't even have a bird yet but I'm upset even thinking about losing her. :( do you have any pictures? There's a good chance that she is alive and around somewhere, so maybe you can post flyers around your neighborhood? And for everyone telling you that you shouldn't get a new bird, that's bull ****. Different people grieve in different ways and you absolutely should do whatever makes you happy. Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by René (Post 2155577)
And your advice about whether they should/should not get another owl is what? You travel around doing display work and representing 'falconry' to the public, many of whom must be inspired to get a hawk by attending your displays, many of whom will be inspired to keep a 'pet' owl. What sort of advice do you give people....or do you confine the whole issue to a 'trap'?

I'm a beginner so forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it perfectly legal and normal to educate with your bird? I seriously doubt anybody who is willing to go through the intense process to become an apprentice would do it on a whim after seeing a falconer and his/her bird. And who wouldn't want more passionate people to join the sport? I mean, you have to get inspiration from somewhere, right? You don't just wake up one day and decide you need to become a falconer. My inspiration came from meeting and speaking to falconers who were out in public with their birds. Previous to this, I had zero knowledge about the partnership and bond a falconer has with their raptor. Not trying to be rude or anything, just a different opinion, and I totally agree with you that someone without the bird's best interest at heart should never become a falconer.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.