Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   General Medical Questions & Discussions (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Sour crop (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54831)

CopperBarn 15-11-2008 10:02 AM

Sour crop

hi everyone
just thought id start a thread on a very important and disgruntling subject indeed. just wondering if anyone has ever worked with/owned a bop which has suffered from this and if there have been any long lasting/permanent affects as a result of the ailment. am currently assisting a friend with his rather elderly female harris who has in the last few days had her crop opened, flushed and stitched again because of a stuck chick leg. she is still a miserable ol cow, bt because of her age (10-11), she is taking her time to recover, sleeping alot and havng to be fed little and often.
anyone encountered any long term damage with there birds as a result of this?

Anna x x x

Rowan 15-11-2008 10:27 AM

Re: Sour crop

No.Usound like a disgruntled bird urself,sowt it owt.

Killer Harris 15-11-2008 10:28 AM

what causes sour crop and how can you tell if the birds got it i mean symptoms iv never had a bird that's had it and knowing the symptoms might help out someone
kh

CopperBarn 15-11-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWAN (Post 933321)
No.Usound like a disgruntled bird urself,sowt it owt.

Pardon?

MusketMad 15-11-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperBarn (Post 933310)
hi everyone
just thought id start a thread on a very important and disgruntling subject indeed. just wondering if anyone has ever worked with/owned a bop which has suffered from this and if there have been any long lasting/permanent affects as a result of the ailment. am currently assisting a friend with his rather elderly female harris who has in the last few days had her crop opened, flushed and stitched again because of a stuck chick leg. she is still a miserable ol cow, bt because of her age (10-11), she is taking her time to recover, sleeping alot and havng to be fed little and often.

Anna x x x

its a sore subject for me at the moment anna ...have a look at my bad luck thread ......as for permenant effects its usually ok ..ive dealt with quite a few cases over the years ive been working with birds

CopperBarn 15-11-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musketmad (Post 933328)
its a sore subject for me at the moment anna ...have a look at my bad luck thread ......as for permenant effects its usually ok ..ive dealt with quite a few cases over the years ive been working with birds

Very sorry to read that thread, hope all goes well n all fingers and toes crossed for you.

Little Joe 15-11-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperBarn (Post 933310)
hi everyone

Anna x x x

Not exactly sure what you mean by sour crop, but opening a bird's crop sounds a bit strong to me, no matter what the ailment!

If sour crop is what I know as a yeast infection in the crop, its not serious at all and easily cured, provided you pick it up early. When I see any of my hawks looking remotely fluffed up or slitty, they get a faecal and crop swab done asap.

For jeast infections of the crop a dose of Intrafungal two days in a row does the trick and by day three they are flying again.

Pete J. 15-11-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Joe (Post 933335)
Not exactly sure what you mean by sour crop, but opening a bird's crop sounds a bit strong to me, no matter what the ailment!

If sour crop is what I know as a yeast infection in the crop, its not serious at all and easily cured, provided you pick it up early. When I see any of my hawks looking remotely fluffed up or slitty, they get a faecal and crop swab done asap.

For jeast infections of the crop a dose of Intrafungal two days in a row does the trick and by day three they are flying again.

Barring the acquistion of an antifungal drug you can use unpasteurized Apple Cider vinegar (refrigerate it after opening the bottle), make a mixture of one teaspoon per pint of water in a spray bottle (keep refrigerated between uses), spray liberally on food before and during feeding if you can. This can help as it works in two ways...it changes the local pH of the crop making it a bit uncomfortable for the yeast (aka: Candida) and the unpasteurized vinegar has live bacteria in it which will compete with the yeast as they are opposite sides of the balanced system in any animal or bird, they need to be in balance for a system to work correctly.

Bazzer 15-11-2008 08:40 PM

Sour-crop is usually the after-effects of an impacted crop. In other words the hawk has gorged to such an extent that it is unable to 'put over' the crop. Any food held at body temperature for too long will become toxic as I'm sure you are already aware. Generally speaking, it is dangerous to allow a hawk to consume more than a 3/4 crop of food, and 7/8ths is the absolute max.
It is also a wise precaution to snip the thigh-bone of rabbit hind legs, with garden secatuers to avoid put-over problems. Sour-crop is a nasty affliction for hawks and can be fatal if not treated early. My advice to any austringer is: monitor the hawk closely if you intend a good feed, and feel the crop as the four segments start to fill. When the fourth segment starts filling, start worrying. 'Busting-out' is the term used by me and the friends I fly with...but please, don't go there!
Bazzer

Jack 16-11-2008 03:51 AM

The infected crop is usually termed as foul crop. Even with an empty crop the birds breath is so rotten that you want to puke at taking a whiff of it. I have used Metronidazole for this. It is used in humans to correct yeast infections and will work well in these birds. Another good cure is vinegar in water. Mild mixture. The acidity will also kill off the bacteria. Another cure I most commonly would use is the pink stuff. Pepto Bismal. It is commonly used here to treat this problem. Sooths the crop as well as shotgunning the bacterial infection.
Sour crop is just because the hawk fails to put over the crop for a long time and the meat becomes putrid. This is not because they eat too much. I have seen many the hawk or falcon crop up to an unbelievable amount of food and never develop this problem. The problem is when the hawk for some reason does not put it over. Sour crop is usually a secondary problem. The main problem is usually the reason for the falcon or hawk not putting over the crop in the first place. Again, the pink stuff works quite well. I have had to instruct people over the phone in milking the crop clean, and the administering of the pink stuff. Birds always recover and have no ill effects. However, whatever causes the condition should be examined too. I am thinking that a large intake of certain bacteria might also cause it if the hawk has gorged and is slow about putting over.