Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Daithi
Brancher

Default Re: Waking the Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browner13 View Post
Probably a stupid guestion just intrigued but what about waking an eyass hh and do you repeat the process every season or its first i know you man the bird every season so dont kill me lol
kurtis
If it works well with a gos kurtis id say a hh no problem. i waked my male brown gos last year. on the third day my mate drove me home 20 mile trip with the young gos on the glove, didnt even bate once,just sat on the glove taken every thing in, relaxed as could be. if your thinking of doing it, dont be put of by peoples negative look on this method. if done right it works very well. i wont be waking him for a second time do,once is enough.

Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Passage

Is it not the case of waking a gos or any hawk for that matter that the 48 hours continuous manning are just that! 48 hours?
Spend 48 hours of manning split into 4 hour stints over a period of 12 days would the gos not be at a similar stage?
Tony.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Daithi
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Is it not the case of waking a gos or any hawk for that matter that the 48 hours continuous manning are just that! 48 hours?
Spend 48 hours of manning split into 4 hour stints over a period of 12 days would the gos not be at a similar stage?
Tony.
I think theres a differance tony. the 48 hrs waking are continuis so the hawk gets tired as in lack of sleep. by 48 hours hes senses would be dulled and accepting mans world a lot easier. you dont see the physical signs of stress on the third day. so i think theres something in it. every falconer can tell if their bird is stressed or not. i just think if you can get the hawk to accept all things in 5 days as opposed to almost 2 weeks, the amount of stress to the hawk is less. the sooner the hawk accepts the falconer and learns not to be afraid and knows that food is on offer. just my thoughts and if i was to take on another brown bird,i would do it again. to have p/r gos as steady.

Dave
Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Viktor - Moderator
Haggard

Is much less stress or better to say there's almost no stress in 2-3 days continuous manning than more.
Here is my first gos from 1st falconry meeting in Croatia in 1997. My 1st gos after I finished falconry course 3 months after the war was finished (that was my 3rd bird after 2 common buzzards which I trained and released). I was teenage and I was arguing with my parents about not go sleep and train a bird
He flew on my fist on the end of 2nd day. It was not passage, it was hagard. I hawked him on pigeons in town center. ROCK STEADY - pleasure to handle and fly, great bird hawk flying on 655 grams what was ok for haggard bird and he came to me in perfect condition and keel which I couldn't feel on 685 grams. So almost I flew him on his "wild" weight. Unfortunately lost him cos I haven't had chance to buy telemetry just after the war. Still, I hope his youngsters are hunting around

Cheers Viktor

Croatian Goshawker
Old 17-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
last night i hit my bed at 12 midnight, i woke by the alarm at 4am, the lads had retired into a stable i made strong cups of tea and coffee and joined them, franks hawk had been on one leg roused and rossys was falling asleep, closing first the membrane and fighting to keep the lid open.
it was their turn to get some rest but adam had guzzled a bottle of red wine in the evening and was snoring the pigs.
frank retired, i took over , ross was shattere at 5.30 when adam appeared, it was coming light by this time so we went for a good walk with the two hawks.
we met a horse and foal at our first stop, no problems no bating.
rossys hawk bated at a blackbird out of the hedge that shot across the lane in front of us.
we walked as far as the river blackwater at villierstown and sheltered by the river, we got caught in a good rainstorm. the male was the most unsettled of the two on the way out, on the way back home we met cars with lights on, a jogger in her flourescent top, a large lorry and a motorcyclist, all passing on a narrow country road, the male bated twice the female never.
myself and adam when we got home took shelter in the stables, by 7.45 i got lisa up for work and made her a cuppa, rossys male had took the most effort, being the most unsettled he started to show signs of severe tiredness, his eyes were closing , adam was rocking his fist to keep him awake.
i forget to add, at daylight the pair of hawks felt as though they had renewed energy, as if the rising sun had given them strength, the walk in the fresh air and dawn certainly awakened them.
at half past nine ross and frank were woken for their shift, the weather had worsened, we had some calves on the road that had broken out in the night, this made good manning, we handed over the duties to frank and ross while we had some more rest.
i feel shattered right now at 2pm, broken sleep never mind no sleep, we are half way there.
a short youtube clip how rossys hawk is feeling at nine this morning, half way through the waking process.

Sad ending to the waking thread, both hawks are now dead, the male ripped his wing open on barbed wire then later died last season, and yesterday i heard that the female who was being flown this season by Roy Bebbington had passed away suffering from aspergillosis.
Both birds remained super steady and were excellent hunters.
Keith
Old 17-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Stevie kerr
Passage

Quote:
Sad ending to the waking thread, both hawks are now dead, the male ripped his wing open on barbed wire then later died last season, and yesterday i heard that the female who was being flown this season by Roy Bebbington had passed away suffering from aspergillosis.
Keith
Very sorry to hear that Keith they were exceptional goses as specialy Ross with his male it was an unreal hawk taking ah lot off head in its first season just hope you turn out more hawks like these to good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
Very sorry to hear that Keith they were exceptional goses as specialy Ross with his male it was an unreal hawk taking ah lot off head in its first season just hope you turn out more hawks like these to good luck
Ps I no what it's like loosing ah hawk to asper lost ah white gyrkin this season also
Old 26-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Ross Ricken
Passage

Quote:
Sad ending to the waking thread, both hawks are now dead, the male ripped his wing open on barbed wire then later died last season, and yesterday i heard that the female who was being flown this season by Roy Bebbington had passed away suffering from argillosis.
Keith
Just went through this thread again keith and what a brilliant read it is.it was a real shame about what happened to these 2 fine hawks getting killed.ill never forget the awesome flights stitches gave me.what a goshawk.pity ur not breeding that line of gosses anymore as id snap ur hand off for another
Old 26-07-2014, 01:40 PM
George
Haggard

Ross,
I followed this thread avidly as it was written as I have always fancied waking a gos.
If you had the choice is this the way you would always go with a pr gos?
Old 30-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Brancher

Light soil on their graves I wish!!!
Sorry to hear that, guys.

Hope you will not stop posting here.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Passage

Hi Pavel, I came to Bulgaria for a few weeks, but never did get to the Sofia area. I spent most of my time in the South East, in the Yambol region. I saw a few Hares on my travels, but with Sunflowers and Wheat growing everywhere, they were only short sightings...lol. I do think the terrain in the area I stayed was perfect for Longwing 'flying'.
I cannot PM you to chat, don't have that resource available to me. I have e-mailed you in the past though, so we could chat there. I hope to be 'flying' my Birds in Bulgaria as soon as I can. Even if it is only Kiting a Peregrine on the flat ground around the south east of Bulgaria.