Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Lou
Brancher

Default Re: Harris x Redtail Question

With all due respect there is not alot in a Harris and a Redtail in terms of speed. You buy neither birds with speed in mind. If it is speed you are after you go for a goshawk. I agree a Harris is probably a little more agile than a Redtail but if you put the work in and get one fit you should have no problems. The margin between the red and the Harris are so small to even worry about as far as i am concerned, so you can not argue that this hybrid can produce a quicker bird.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1 View Post
With all due respect there is not alot in a Harris and a Redtail in terms of speed. You buy neither birds with speed in mind. If it is speed you are after you go for a goshawk. I agree a Harris is probably a little more agile than a Redtail but if you put the work in and get one fit you should have no problems. The margin between the red and the Harris are so small to even worry about as far as i am concerned, so you can not argue that this hybrid can produce a quicker bird.

Theres no argument here pal.
The question was what where the benefits if there where any.

As you agree a Harris is more agile then theres a benefit that you can see congrats
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Brandi - Moderator
Haggard

Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinions. But I still don't see a need for anyone to come on a thread and do nothing but post negative comments and criticize a particular hybrid just because they don't personally agree. As I said before, if it doesn't fill a niche, then there won't be any demand and the hybrid will just be a passing fad.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Lou
Brancher

Is a harris hawk that much more agile to worry about? No. Furthermore, does this agileness appear in the redtail x harris? No.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Passage

Quote:
Is a harris hawk that much more agile to worry about? No.
Well i would say it is off the fist.
Infact did one of the USA most respected falconers pick up a male redtail to fly of the fist from horseback to achieve a 344 head season. No Harry Mcelroy used a male HH. There where many factors for his choice.

Quote:
Furthermore, does this agileness appear in the redtail x harris? No
Have you flown one what weight was it?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
Actually, the majority that are flown properly do. HHs are one of the most versatile game hawk, taking everything from small birds to jackrabbits. Between 5 HHs, this season we have over 350 head of game and have taken sparrows, quail, cottontails, jackrabbits, etc. Sometimes they are flown all together, sometimes by themselves, sometimes 2 or 3 together. The problem with some people's thinking is that many don't know the true capabilities of the HH because they don't bother to hunt them at proper weights.
Well put ! Harris hawks are for the most part captive bred. Most will take game in spite of a poor falconer but they don't seem to look very capable. They are extremely social and intelligent therefore will seem to have good response to the glove during creancing and then not so good in the field hunting. They train their trainers. You have to be able to get the TRUE hunting weight on a Harris to see what they can do. When you do, you won't believ how tenacious they can be on game! Not to say that genetics never throw a few duds........but that can happen to any species!

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinions. But I still don't see a need for anyone to come on a thread and do nothing but post negative comments and criticize a particular hybrid just because they don't personally agree. As I said before, if it doesn't fill a niche, then there won't be any demand and the hybrid will just be a passing fad.
Maybe a reminder of the question that started the thread is in order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrontiumDog View Post
Hi folks
Can any one shed some light on these birds ,nature hunting ability and such, will they follow on? Can they be flown in a cast what are the most dominant traits more redatail or harris?
I realize these are fairly new but I am interested to know the comparrisons compared to the separate types of hawk?
A big thanks to all who help in advance.
In his second paragraph he is asking for people's opinions on a comparison compared to the separate species. If someone has an opinion that this hybrid is pointless as it offers nothing in preference to either an RT or a HH then not only is this directly relevant to the thread starter but surely it is valid as someone's personal opinion?!

Personally I am not anti-hybrid (I fly a gyr/pere) but I do think that it is a healthy debate to discuss the merits of producing and flying hybrids, and this thread is not diminished, only enriched by such a debate.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Lou
Brancher

I agree with EddieT. I am (although it may seem in this thread) in any way anti-hybrid. I just think there is a good use for the right ones in falconry, this one however i am not convinced by.