Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen a silent social imprint gos?
YES 18 36.00%
NO 23 46.00%
ONLY ONCE HUNTED / OVER TIME 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Hello Colin,
Was the gos always quiet ? Even when training on appetite or reduction for initial entering ?

Yours Jim.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Passage

Hello Jim,
Yes jim he was always quiet except for the slight whistle. I think he still really well behaved if he takes a stand he recall straight away, well mannered not mantling or shows agression towards John on the Kill. To be honest I have only flown 2 goshawks before and they was european parent reared and I remebered them as hard work and tempremental. The finnish male was as soft as a brush it really took me by suprise it was at total ease with everything. I did one or two things that I think helped with getting him indepenant early. Or He could just be down to his nature how knows?
Regards
Colin
Ps when I had him he was pictured in the inside cover of a BFC mag on a bow
With a brick wall in the background Don't ask when. I can't remember what I did yesterday anymore
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

The poll suggests nearly 1 in 2 social imprint goshawks never call from hatching to flying - this I find very different to previous information.

Jim.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

What weight did he enter at Colin compared to penning weight ?

Yours Jim.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Passage

He was 1lb 13 1/2 when he killed a teal his "first" To be honest I can not say what he penned at. I think John can hunt him around the 2lb mark but don't hold me to that I will ring him and ask him tommorrow. Its a long story but he was a blood exchange. A mate of mine that breeds Goshawks near me did a straight swap. As soon as the rings was on it came to me, my mate gave it to me as a gift. But the shortage of pens and my love for the falcons and its abilty to "sh#t" I decided not to try the Goshawk breeding route. I have to be honest and say i do regret giving him back.
Regards
Colin
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Passage

Phoned John this morning the Goss takes rabbits at 2lb 1/2oz it injured its wing quite badley last season on a fence while taking a rabbit. But is fine now. He had to drop his wieght to 1lb 14 1/2 after it recovered from the accident but he soon had him back to his normal weight.
Regards
Colin
Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Brancher

Good job Colin, as I'm sure you remember I took quite a beating from some former members of a now defuncnt UK group over a statement about non screaming imprints. Having raised my share of them now, I am finally getting a taste of a screamer. She was sold out of my project as a 14 day old chick to a guy that because of a heavy work load during the winter quit flying her. When he gave her to me she was a maniac screamer , and now 4 months later still is, though her weight is over 250 gram higher than flying weight. I hate it, she is a fantastic goshawk manners wise, and hunting wise,but around the house it's brutal to listen to. I know silent imprints can be done , but now I'm trying to figure out a way to silence one:>( short of a 1/2 ounce of lead).
Barry
Old 06-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Mike Taylor
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawks00
Good job Colin, as I'm sure you remember I took quite a beating from some former members of a now defuncnt UK group over a statement about non screaming imprints. Having raised my share of them now, I am finally getting a taste of a screamer. She was sold out of my project as a 14 day old chick to a guy that because of a heavy work load during the winter quit flying her. When he gave her to me she was a maniac screamer , and now 4 months later still is, though her weight is over 250 gram higher than flying weight. I hate it, she is a fantastic goshawk manners wise, and hunting wise,but around the house it's brutal to listen to. I know silent imprints can be done , but now I'm trying to figure out a way to silence one:>( short of a 1/2 ounce of lead).
Barry
Hi Barry thanks for the reply what would you say is the main reason your imprints are silent ? are there things you do that others dont ? any advice would be great.
Regards, Mike
Old 06-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Passage

Hello Barry,
Glad to here from you, yes I can remember! Hope you have a good breeding season. I think mine will be curbed a little if this Avian Flu gets a grip or the authorites over react. I don't what pens full of eyasses that can,t be moved.
Regards
Colin
Old 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Brancher

Hi Mike,
There are a couple of things here , that must be thought out in order to get to the bottom of this. One is, I'm of the opinion that possibly your Euro goshawks are "more easy going or less fearfully" through all the exposure to humans . I say that because I hear a lot more conversation about screaming imprints from over your way than from over here in the US. I can't imagine that we are better trainers so I don't know what else to put it on. I hope in the near future to put that to the test , that is if my Finish pair do their business this year.

As far as what I do , well I can kind of hit on a couple things and see if it's different that what you all do:

I never hand feed any hawks, from earliest on say 10 days my chicks will find and eat their own food, sometimes I will make myself present so they see me eating sometimes I don't. As they get older and walking arouind they learn to find food, as I will place it for them to find. A bit older (by just a few days really)they learn to chase the lure drug on the ground and feed off it. Now here is where we separate, I will at this point start giving them baggies( sorry guys it's just the way it is) it will be small quail , sparrows,mice , anything I can get my hands on. They are allowed to eat what they catch . Still no hand feeding. Then they are taught to call back to the lure. By then they are approaching hardpenned and we are off to the field!!

Kills , as soon as possible whether mock or real are most important and no hand association is a close second, though I must add that from the earliest lure training they are taught to trade off for the lure. I hate screaming along with bad "on game" manners. To trade off on the lure I have two lures and will load both up with food . Then when the hawk is eating I will switch it off to the other lure. Then in a few minutes switch it back, and on and on. The hawk gets so immersed in the constant lure trading that it's brain quickly learns to accept this as part of it's life.

Now then the other thing I try to never allow is that I never want the hawk to see me as it's food source. The way you get around that is to spend as must non food time as possible with it. But keep this in mind and I think this is just as important, leave the hawk to it's self for various small amounts of time then go get it and spend time with it, but no food at least immediately. .

Along with hand feeding, I think loneliness in an imprint( which has learned that you are the center of it's life) are two things that will cause it to scream. It must learn to be able to be away from you and that it is normal and alright to do so. I think they struggle with anxiety from being left alone, which is good and bad depending on how they vent from being alone. I think part of that is screaming. When left alone , especially early on provide something for it to do , like play with stuffed animals etc.

Anyway that's a bare bones impromptu on what I do, does it work , you bet, can you do it, yep, just be smarter than the hawk you are training and you'll figure it out.
Barry