Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Falconry Questions that all beginners ask!

Old 21-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Egg

Default Books for a Beginner

Hey everyone, I want to get into Falconry at some point, so right now I am trying to learn everything I can from any resources possible. I have been watching the videos in the tutorial section and they have been super useful so far, even in just helping me learn terminology and seeing stuff from a different angle (not one a TV presenter would use).

Something I need now is some books. I asked at the library around me and they didn't really have too much so I am looking at ordering some books online, I just need to know what books to get! Does anyone here have some suggestions for a good Falconry beginners book, as well as some intermediate ones as it is always good to try and learn more. I want to have a good understanding of falconry before I even start talking about a bird, and I think some books would be a great start. Any suggestions welcome
Old 21-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Egg

Default Re: Books for a Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFast View Post
Hey everyone, I want to get into Falconry at some point, so right now I am trying to learn everything I can from any resources possible. I have been watching the videos in the tutorial section and they have been super useful so far, even in just helping me learn terminology and seeing stuff from a different angle (not one a TV presenter would use).

Something I need now is some books. I asked at the library around me and they didn't really have too much so I am looking at ordering some books online, I just need to know what books to get! Does anyone here have some suggestions for a good Falconry beginners book, as well as some intermediate ones as it is always good to try and learn more. I want to have a good understanding of falconry before I even start talking about a bird, and I think some books would be a great start. Any suggestions welcome
I'm also just starting out, so hi! I know you are in the U.K., but check out the California Hawking Club's Apprentice bookshelf. It has some great suggestions. I'm currently reading Hawks in Flight by Phillip Dunne and another one, Falconry and Hawking, The Essentials, by Philip Gold. You can get them on amazon in hard copies or Kindle. Good luck with your apprenticeship!
Old 21-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Egg

I am very new to falconry and after some reading online I saw the name Frank Beebe several times so I looked him up and read about him. He passed in 2008 I believe but I bought everything he wrote. "A falconry manual" is where I started. I then got his book "North American falcons". Then "Hawks, falcons and falconry" I got at a used bookstore along with "the complete falconer". I have spent a few hard earned dollars on material but I read before bed. I read out loud to my son's at breakfast and on my lunch. I am a beginner. Pre apprentice and I have been reading for some time now because I want to work with someone before I take the exam. Plus in VA you need a sponsor to take the test and I don't just need one on paper. If you get those books you are sure to be headed in the right direction along with learning how to make the equipment while learning how to fly and care for your soon to be bird.
Any experienced Falconers please correct me if I am wrong with this answer.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Sayloth; 21-08-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 22-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Egg

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I will be taking a look at all of those books, and the organizations suggested. Hope that you both are doing well in your journey to becoming a Falconer
Old 22-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Egg

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I will be taking a look at all of those books, and the organizations suggested. Hope that you both are doing well in your journey to becoming a Falconer
Here's a link to the bookshelf: http://http://www.calhawkingclub.org/index.php/falconry-apprenticeship/apprentice-bookshelf
Old 24-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Egg

Quote:

I took note of the books that people were mentioning and linking to and then plugged that into my search engine and found some really good collections that were being sold. There were tons of falconry books being sold by experienced falconers online and after chatting with some of them I have some books in the mail on the way. Thanks everyone.
Old 24-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Egg

Quote:
I took note of the books that people were mentioning and linking to and then plugged that into my search engine and found some really good collections that were being sold. There were tons of falconry books being sold by experienced falconers online and after chatting with some of them I have some books in the mail on the way. Thanks everyone.
Good luck with your apprenticeship!