Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Owls - Strigiformes

Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Unconfirmed Member
Brancher

Question Barn Owl question

I just wanted to know whether an imprinted Barn Owl would ever self hunt. By this I mean if you were walking across a grassy field and the Barn Owl was flying to you but in the grass below a mouse/vole was running about would the Barn Owl attempt to take it or ignore it and just continue to the glove for the piece of food?

I'm assuming the latter due to being imprinted and free food being an easier meal than hunting.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Default Re: Barn Owl question

In a word yes.

Most barn owls, imprinted and trained, left sitting on a fence over long meadow grass, will listen down and weave their heads about if anything is moving.
A friend flies an exceptional display barn owl, that in the right surroundings will self hunt during a display, catch and eat multiple voles and still carry on and return to the fist.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Unconfirmed Member
Brancher

Thanks, I was hoping I was wrong as if I was to get one eventually i'd really want to see it flying as naturally as possible such as hovering and slow gliding around. Obviously that may take a lot of time to achieve but at least it's not impossible to aim for and the permissions I have in mind have a lot of long grassy fields surrounding the orchards where I fly my HH.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster View Post
In a word yes.

Most barn owls, imprinted and trained, left sitting on a fence over long meadow grass, will listen down and weave their heads about if anything is moving.
A friend flies an exceptional display barn owl, that in the right surroundings will self hunt during a display, catch and eat multiple voles and still carry on and return to the fist.
Where does he do his displays? That sounds interesting to watch.