Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: First kill of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwills92 View Post
no 2nd me and brother had a male but was more his
Ok mate.gv me shout if ulyou need to know anythin.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Egg

Will do mate really appreciate it, won't let me send any private message says i need 100 posts
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
will do mate really appreciate it, won't let me send any private message says i need 100 posts
Yeah mate.its crazy.lol
Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Brancher

Congrats Jackwills. Great feeling when they make their first kill. I'm flying my first bird this season and was told to let them feed up on first few until they don't want anymore so they don't feel robbed and feel that chasing and catching is worth the effort.
Keep us up to date with how you get on
Old 09-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Brancher

Quote:
got my first kill on new permission today, she was very out of breath for a few minutes and then she started to pluck, shes also flying 1.5o z above her hunting weight so to be fair she did great.

Took a while for me to get the rabbit off of her and reward her, hope she doesn't feel too robbed.

just wondered how you people go about exchanging kill for food after the catch?
Hi Jack, Well done mate things are starting to fall into place for you.
As others have stated I would have fed her up and I certainly would on the next few kills.
Reference trading off, this is always something I practice with the dummy bunny lure in the first instance.
Letting her feed from it after approaching slow and low, then taking my hawking bag off and sliding it under her between the quarry and her thus creating a 'out of sight out of mind' situation.
Then once the quarry is covered make an offering so she will step up and off, I just toss an offering to one side and she hops off after it although it wasn't that easy to start and took abit of practice over a couple of seasons !
I pin the quarry to the ground with my dispatching spike so it cant be dragged about or out from under the bag when trading off !
Also make sure the offering is a fair trade as such, a chick leg wont cut it and she will certainly feel robbed which will cause problems in the future.
Hope this makes sense and is of some help.
Happy hawking
ATB
John155
Old 09-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Banned
Passage

I tend to let have a good feed then trade for a full chick or even the leg of rabbit just caught you will create a strong bond by letting her know your not ther to rob.well done.atb
Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Passage

Hi James, well done on the kill, regarding trade off and letting her crop up you've already been given good advice, so just take in all you've been told and you'll be fine, once again well done. Atb. John
Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymole View Post
Congrats Jackwills. Great feeling when they make their first kill. I'm flying my first bird this season and was told to let them feed up on first few until they don't want anymore so they don't feel robbed and feel that chasing and catching is worth the effort.
Keep us up to date with how you get on
I certainly would not feed a young bird until it did not want any more! At this stage your young Harris is probably as low in weight and condition as it is ever going to be in it's Falconry Career, letting it take a massive crop could lead to Sour Crop as it may struggle to put it over. A feed up of just over daily rations of warm fresh meat should be reward enough.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
I certainly would not feed a young bird until it did not want any more! At this stage your young Harris is probably as low in weight and condition as it is ever going to be in it's Falconry Career, letting it take a massive crop could lead to Sour Crop as it may struggle to put it over. A feed up of just over daily rations of warm fresh meat should be reward enough.
As Steve says although I would feed two thirds of daily ration on the kill then the remainder as a pick up then get it out the next day and try to make another kill.Get it in the mindset of feeding itself to avoid screaming.Also if you gorge on kills it makes things more difficult later on to trade off when you want to go for multiples.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
As Steve says although I would feed two thirds of daily ration on the kill then the remainder as a pick up then get it out the next day and try to make another kill.Get it in the mindset of feeding itself to avoid screaming.Also if you gorge on kills it makes things more difficult later on to trade off when you want to go for multiples.
It's all about the trade off with Harris Hawks they are naturally hardwired for kill sharing but boy if you Rob them they really do resent it and it is in this area I feel the Harris is beyond the beginner! How many Harris Hawks have you seen which are nice to handle fly really well but are a mess on Kills? I have seen many. The Harris must be given the choice to switch and make that decision itself! Even covering the kill does not trick the Harris, it should be openly offered the alternative to it's kill which should be prepared and more desirable than it's kill, I would initially use the Lure as a bridge to the pick up as it should already be familiar and wedded to it before hunting begins and will leave any kill for it's familiar Lure, this can generally be replaced with food placed to the side of the kill once a routine has been established. this is of course the method I would use and not the only way to go about it.