Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 AM
Mark
Passage

Default Re: 2015 / 2016 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Cheers Mark. That Harris is 20 now. A real class act showing no signs of slowing down. Her daughter is shaping up pretty well too.
Barry.
I knew from our conversation a few years ago that she was getting on. What weight is her daughter flying at? Are you still producing them?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Barry Blyther
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
I knew from our conversation a few years ago that she was getting on. What weight is her daughter flying at? Are you still producing them?
The female I have kept from her is just 2 years old, and this season was at her best taking hares in the mid 2lb 8's. If she follows her mother's history, it'll go up a little each year for a few years yet.
She does still produce a clutch each summer.
Barry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Nice pics Barry,

The goldie has to be Britains most colourful bird. 1001 different shades. Lovely.

Nick
The female Golden Eagle here is 16, and I didn't really appreciate the colours until you pointed it out. The male is 10 this year.

Barry
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
The female I have kept from her is just 2 years old, and this season was at her best taking hares in the mid 2lb 8's. If she follows her mother's history, it'll go up a little each year for a few years yet.
She does still produce a clutch each summer.
Barry.

The female Golden Eagle here is 16, and I didn't really appreciate the colours until you pointed it out. The male is 10 this year.

Barry
That's great Barry what weight was she in her first season?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
Sorry, I recently read an article where they had a record cull which was rather obscene and there was uproar about it, l but I couldn't find the link, I thought that was it
The photo used in the article you refer to was over 10 years old Shaun, be aware of anti-grouse moor propaganda

Apologies for the off-topic posts Barry
Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Barry Blyther
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
That's great Barry what weight was she in her first season?
She first flew free at 2lb 7 1/4, and took her her first hare at 2lb 7 3/4. Her progress was slowed after a hare later in the season gave her a real beating that the vet thought didn't think she would survive. She came through as strong as ever though, and has developed more skill from the lesson. Anyway, the lost time that season, and the despicable weather this season that cost a lot of lost time in the field means that she hasn't developed the muscle and consistency that should have seen her weight creep up further. All in all though, I'm quite happy with her. She has real attitude, tremendous drive, she's super loyal, and despite being quite aggressive, she does fly with other hawks, and will share kills without fighting.

For the record, she was fully parent incubated, hatched and reared, in full secusion, and taken at 21 weeks.
Barry.

Last edited by Barry; 02-03-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
She first flew free at 2lb 7 1/4, and took her her first hare at 2lb 7 3/4. Her progress was slowed after a hare later in the season gave her a real beating that the vet thought didn't think she would survive. She came through as strong as ever though, and has developed more skill from the lesson. Anyway, the lost time that season, and the despicable weather this season that cost a lot of lost time in the field means that she hasn't developed the muscle and consistency that should have seen her weight creep up further. All in all though, I'm quite happy with her. She has real attitude, tremendous drive, she's super loyal, and despite being quite aggressive, she does fly with other hawks, and will share kills without fighting.

For the record, she was fully parent incubated, hatched and reared, in full secusion, and taken at 21 weeks.
Barry.
That all sounds good Barry thanks for taking the time to reply. You definitely have a very good line of Harris there. It's good to keep these original lines going. Good luck with them.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c View Post
The photo used in the article you refer to was over 10 years old Shaun, be aware of anti-grouse moor propaganda

Apologies for the off-topic posts Barry

no mick this is the one i was referring to,just couldnt find it, february 2015 ,anywhere near you barry ?

Https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...e-angus-glens/
Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Barry Blyther
Passage

Quote:
no mick this is the one i was referring to,just couldnt find it, february 2015 ,anywhere near you barry ?

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...e-angus-glens/
Not too far Shaun.

The Hare issue is highly emotive in the Glens. The excuse for culling is louping ill, the underlying REASON seems to be more along the lines of if you get rid of hares, you get rid of eagles, and get rid of leverets and you get rid of buzzards, short eared owls, and even harriers. Make of that what you will.

Where we go, the Hare numbers are superb, (and wild eagles are doing very very well, you can see one in one of the pictures in my first post on this thread, flying in the same shot as one of our eagles and some ravens) and have taken a step up in numbers since the legal season was imposed on them. The estate we use, has not had organised hare shooting in over a decade anyway, but since the season, the neighbours have stuck to the law, which has seen hare numbers and eagle numbers thrive. Even more encouraging is that the grouse numbers are also spectacularly high.

Bottom line is, there is absolutely no REAL reason for hare culling that is defensible.

Barry.

Last edited by Barry; 03-03-2016 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Repeated word.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Haggard

Agreed, glad to hear you and the Eagles are good where you are
Old 03-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Passage

Quote:

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...e-angus-glens/
That's the one Shaun, seemingly the pic is old. Note the wording carefully used on the site..."a February trip" , doesnt say last February.....

As Barry suggests though, sadly some estates are trying to eradicate the ground mammals for the reasons he mentions, it is their response to not being allowed to control "problem" raptors.

It is shameful behaviour.