Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > The Moult & Imping

Old 29-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Brancher

Default Start again after the moult?

So this is my first moult with my male harris hawk. Dropped about 15 primaries now.

When its all over, do we have to start the whole process again? I mean at the moment I cant really get in touching distance of him...

Do we start again on the creance ? manning him again?

Or when he drops back to hunting weight will he be the same bird before the moult?

Regards
Old 29-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Start again after the moult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda32 View Post
So this is my first moult with my male harris hawk. Dropped about 15 primaries now.

When its all over, do we have to start the whole process again? I mean at the moment I cant really get in touching distance of him...

Do we start again on the creance ? manning him again?

Or when he drops back to hunting weight will he be the same bird before the moult?

Regards
Hi mate.

Mine was caught yesterday after a weight drop due to sorting out avairy roof ect.

Mine had dropped alot of wing feathers and had 1 new tail feather all the way down.

He is wild so when caught up he will need manning again same as the first but will settle alot quicker.

My old female never went back on the creance after the moult but this male is alot less steady so he will need trainging again.

Goodluck.
Old 29-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Passage

Hi Andy, it really does vary from bird to bird, I usually start manning mine once there weights down, you'll find he's a bit more approachable then, it won't do any harm to put him on the creance for a day or two and will give you peace of mind, but retraining is usually quite quick. Atb. John
Old 29-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Haggard

Your bird won't have forgotten anything you've done with him this year. But he will need manning again. This won't take any time at all really but like John said remove excess weight first. No point in manning a fat hawk. A week or 2 of manning after a weight reduction is usually all it takes. The creance may help with him losing the last ounce or 2 quicker. As he is being worked and that last ounce or 2 can be the hardest to get off.
Plus the creance helps to get back into the swing of things.

Dean
Old 29-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Brancher

Cheers guys....

I really want to try and get the tail mount on him this year for the telemetry.

I had my mentor put one on him last year but he just pulled it out. Plus it was very difficult to get anywhere near the back of him to put it on.

I ended up putting it on his feet furniture.

I also never really tried to hood him, thinking about doing it this year. I guess it could be harder as he is settled now?
Old 29-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Panda,

There exists a permanent cure for wildness after the molt. It is not traditional but it is effective even on our passage HHs.

Feed to a given weight daily at a weight that will encourage the hawk to jump to the fist in the mew. I've done this for decades and am doing so now with my pampered pet of a domestically raised male.

Some of my friends use this system also and our HHs are down to weight the day quail season opens. One of my pals is using it on his gos and he remains quite tame.

Harry.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMcElroy View Post
Panda,

There exists a permanent cure for wildness after the molt. It is not traditional but it is effective even on our passage HHs.

Feed to a given weight daily at a weight that will encourage the hawk to jump to the fist in the mew. I've done this for decades and am doing so now with my pampered pet of a domestically raised male.

Some of my friends use this system also and our HHs are down to weight the day quail season opens. One of my pals is using it on his gos and he remains quite tame.

Harry.
What the hell for? A screaming mantling mess... " never directly feed a harris in the mews unless you don't mind noise ".
What is difficult about a week or two manning? It's something I actually find therapeutic. A bit like cooking a meal. Ffs leave the thing alone.
Old 30-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
What the hell for? A screaming mantling mess... " never directly feed a harris in the mews unless you don't mind noise ".
What is difficult about a week or two manning? It's something I actually find therapeutic. A bit like cooking a meal. Ffs leave the thing alone.
I'm really shocked that you should talk to someone with that degree of experience in such a manner. Why is it not possible to ask for some greater details of the method being recommended, or to politely query its efficacy based on your own experience. Why do you immediately need to be so insulting? Don't you have any respect?
Old 30-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMcElroy View Post
Panda,

Harry.
Hi Harry,
That's interesting. Do you keep contact like this throughout the molt, or just when you are reducing weight after the molt? By this I mean reducing rations until the free lofted bird is hungry enough to jump to the fist.

Paul
Old 30-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Passage

Got to agree with Dean here, never feed your bird in the mews, it's the quickest way to a vocal bird. Atb. John