Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > The Moult & Imping

Old 30-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Start again after the moult?

I must admit mine is fed in the mews all the time if not flying

Never had noise from a hawk yet.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Haggard

I reduce gradually until they're flying to the fist in the pen, bow them out a day and take them out hunting, why would you think a made bird would become noisy? I've never experienced one

I do the same routine with my reds, my mate does with his peregrine
Old 31-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Passage

I probably didn't explain very well, I would reduce food till flying to the fist for a titbit, but like Shaun it's then time to bow down or continue manning, from then on I would not feed in the mews, I'm certain this helps towards vocal birds, not so much the older birds but certainly younger ones. Atb. John
Old 31-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Matt
Brancher

Hi Harry,

Unfortunately, as you may have already realised, there is no creature quite so closed minded as a British falconer that mistakenly thinks that having flown half a dozen captive bred Harris Hawks leads to some measurable degree of experience.

Panda, my own personal preference with calm individuals is to reduce food intake until the hawk is coming straight to the food in the pen. Once this is happening, I go in every day with food and if the hawk takes no interest then a small ration is still offered. Eventually the hawk will jump to the fist and can be carried out of the pen. This is an awful lot more civilised than catching with a net (and a beginner is likely to damage the hawk anyway). I leave anklets and short thin jesses on the hawk if I know I will use this method.

For nervous individuals (which your hawk is very unlikely to be), Harry's method saves a lot of stress to both parties.

Matt
Old 31-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Matt
Brancher

Having just reread your post, I realise I missed the point of your question. Your hawk will have forgotten nothing, but some degree of retraining will likely have to be applied in terms of manning and creance work.

You can relate this concept to someone who has learned to drive, passed their test, and then not driven a car for a year. If you were to suddenly put them in a car on a busy motorway, although they do know how to drive, their brain will be scrambled eggs and it will all go wrong. They would be better off having a few days practice in quiet roads and empty car parks...

Matt