Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Egg

Default Lost Barn Owl

Lost Tuesday 1st August. North Suffolk area (Waveney Valley/Bungay). Male, will be wearing anklets and jess straps, and a closed ring.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Lost Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Bane View Post
Lost Tuesday 1st August. North Suffolk area (Waveney Valley/Bungay). Male, will be wearing anklets and jess straps, and a closed ring.
I take it you have reported this to the IBR? Good luck in finding him, it can't be easy with a native species but hopefully someone spots the equipment & reports it.

Regards,

Bradley
Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Egg

Yes, indeed. We're surrounded by fields so it's like 'needle and haystack'. We've dropped posters at most of the farmhouses today - many say they have barn owl boxes in their out-buildings, although presently occupied, of course. Which I suppose is heartening. Thank you for your concern.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Yes, indeed. We're surrounded by fields so it's like 'needle and haystack'. We've dropped posters at most of the farmhouses today - many say they have barn owl boxes in their out-buildings, although presently occupied, of course. Which I suppose is heartening. Thank you for your concern.
For your information, when you post in a certain section, it gets seen by everyone regardless of where it is posted as long as it isn't a social group etc. There are no limited sections of the forum that only certain members are part of. Is the bird IBR registered? I know you're a new member so thought I'd let you know for the future etc.

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Haggard

Quote:
This is the first of four posts you've made about a lost owl.
But half an hour before you made any of them you made this post....

Quote:
Does anyone know of any Black Barn Owls/Owlets for sale, or any breeding this year?
Why?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
This is the first of four posts you've made about a lost owl.
But half an hour before you made any of them you made this post....

Why?
He now needs a new one
Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Egg

Not that it is any of your business. I have sat and cried since yesterday, when not crying I have been round the fields and farms and out during the night. Done phone calls today. My family sat me down this evening and said 'We will put together and get you another barn owl' well I said 'I don't want one that looks like Cuthwin, I couldn't stand that'. Well, we know that at 6 weeks old or so we can't tell what the owlets will be, so they said get another colour - so it cheered me a little to think this is not the end of the world!! As it is breeding season, they said do it NOW. so I did. Then I noticed a lost and found section. There is a storm here tonight, high winds and lashing rain - lets be honest, there's not much hope. But please tell .... why are you asking - are you suggesting I have different motives?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Mark
Passage

It was only lost yesterday there's a good chance it will turn up yet.
At least wait a week or so before looking for a new one. the wind and rain shouldn't be an issue to the owl unless it was very low when lost.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark23576 View Post
He now needs a new one
'He' is a 54 year old woman. I have severe deformity of my knees. I have a Lab and a bird, I walk with them in the fields surrounding me. They are my reason for being. ... I am lost and tonight I sit without hope. But, hey, maybe something good will happen, maybe this isn't the end of the road?

He sits fed up at 325g dropping at the beginning of the season to 297g. We've been working on a creance and I have slowly dropped him to 287g for a keen but content bird. I wish he was still up above the 300 mark. How long do you think he'd have without food, he's missed two feeds now? Will he actually drink water if he gets dehydrated? I wouldn't get one straight away, of course, but my daughter sat with me and I checked Bird Trader and she's saying 'See mum. it'll be ok'.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

One thing I would suggest is if you are intending on getting another bird, then put a trap on the end of your pen, this way there is no escape for it.

We have traps on all our aviary's, better safe than sorry. Very simple to erect does not have to be anything fancy.
20161209_143548.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

Here you go very simple