Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 13-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default Re: Microsensory GPS stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Hi Gerry yes Sue has said something similar to me in the past which is understandable.
Is Shaun being banned anything to do with me? If so can you please un-ban him I don't want him banned on my behalf?
Thanks
Tom
Sorry Tom - the post was against forum T & Cs so cannot be overlooked. Don't worry (I'm sure Shaun isn't) he will be back in a few days.

Gerry x
Old 13-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c View Post
I would imagine it was for calling Tom a Di ck, although he could have just as easily have called him a Ha rry!

He may not have been banned for that
I'd imagined there to be a swathe of deleted insults, dealt with late at night when the few remaining forum members slept. It can't be that comment because you'd have to be following someone round with a microscope and a single minded determination to 'get' them, to ban them for that. Jaisus, there are elephantine insults going on that don't even get a mention.
Old 13-09-2017, 09:56 AM
X-rated Ideology Advocate
Passage

I thought that behaviour to be reserved for the new world order that is Facebook, didn't think there was enough interest generated on here these days for such vendetta

Perhaps I just don't visit enough anymore to notice the trends.....
Old 17-09-2017, 06:35 PM
David
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF7LMZ View Post
Unfortunately only sort of. The problem is that the Microsensory has been give a considerable shrink and weight reduction since the days of this photo. The rest remain unchanged as far as I know. With the rechargeable battery option the Marshall becomes longer, but the diameter remains the same.

Attachment 159840

From left to right, the old pre-"MINI" Microsensory RTS, Ledesma, Martin Systems, ByMaps, and Marshall.
No comparison photo of the "Bazzani Suarro Planet" GPS transmitter.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert
Are Ledesma still available? Non of the links I find work.

With the Microsensory version, can it be used with just a phone acting as the receiver. I presume the text messages have a location URL tied to google maps or similar?
Old 17-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyAndMonty View Post
Are Ledesma still available? Non of the links I find work.

With the Microsensory version, can it be used with just a phone acting as the receiver. I presume the text messages have a location URL tied to google maps or similar?
Yes, you could use it with just a phone, if you live in an area of good cell coverage. I've found a message often comes back from the transmitter in just over a minute, and usually in under two minutes. On days of very heavy cloud the transmitter can struggle to lock onto satellites. I use an app on my phone 'GPS Test' to see how well the GPS satellites can be seen.

This is what a message from the transmitter looks like. If the bird is moving velocity will show as something other than 0kh

9095 BAT=100% SMS=65535 Vel=0kh Course=--- Alt=128.6 http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51+01.4046N,002+14.6316W
Old 17-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
Yes, you could use it with just a phone, if you live in an area of good cell coverage. I've found a message often comes back from the transmitter in just over a minute, and usually in under two minutes. On days of very heavy cloud the transmitter can struggle to lock onto satellites. I use an app on my phone 'GPS Test' to see how well the GPS satellites can be seen.

This is what a message from the transmitter looks like. If the bird is moving velocity will show as something other than 0kh

9095 BAT=100% SMS=65535 Vel=0kh Course=--- Alt=128.6 http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51+01.4046N,002+14.6316W
Hi Paul I didn't know they could do this, I know the receiver picks up 434 transmitters from other manufacturers so can other receivers pick up the microsensory bleep?
Thanks
Tom

There's a micro trainer if you have a uhf receiver, any idea what this is?

Also there's a basic transmitter and a rts mini full. Is the text option available on the basic also?
Old 18-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Hi Paul I didn't know they could do this, I know the receiver picks up 434 transmitters from other manufacturers so can other receivers pick up the microsensory bleep?
Thanks
Tom
There's a micro trainer if you have a uhf receiver, any idea what this is?
Also there's a basic transmitter and a rts mini full. Is the text option available on the basic also?
Tom,

The Microsensory comes in three flavors. The RTS full has cell phone, DRL and a Beep. The Basic is cell phone only. The microsensory receiver can pick up a beep from other UHF transmitters, and vice versa. The receiver has only a text and arrow display capability. For Moving map you have to Bluetooth link to your phone or tablet. The Microtrainer is essentially the same as a Marshall Plink. Picks up the DRL signal and sends it to your receiver, phone or tablet.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert
Old 18-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Passage

Thanks Thomas
I have looked on the microsensory website but there's not a lot of information on there. I know the basic transmitter is €399 plus vat and a complete kit is €1290 plus vat but that includes a full rts transmitter. I don't know the prices of the full transmitter or the trainer. It might be worthwhile spending a bit extra on the full transmitter in case you get the full set up in the future. Do you know if you can use two transmitters at the same time with the one receiver? I know with tinyloc standard telemetry you can flick a switch and it will go from one transmitter to another and also on Marshall. Just wondering if it's possible with gps.

What conditions/ situations are you likely to lose a bird using the marshall?
If I remember right it has a range of 20 miles so if I was to start chasing it once it got 2 or 3 miles away and I was able to keep within range and other than it breaking or the batteries falling what else would affect it? For example if it was in thick woodland or amongst tall buildings could that cause signal loss?
Any idea when the updated version will be released?

Atb
Tom
Old 18-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Thanks Thomas
I have looked on the microsensory website but there's not a lot of information on there. I know the basic transmitter is €399 plus vat and a complete kit is €1290 plus vat but that includes a full rts transmitter. I don't know the prices of the full transmitter or the trainer. It might be worthwhile spending a bit extra on the full transmitter in case you get the full set up in the future. Do you know if you can use two transmitters at the same time with the one receiver? I know with tinyloc standard telemetry you can flick a switch and it will go from one transmitter to another and also on Marshall. Just wondering if it's possible with gps.
Atb
Tom
Tom,

All I know about the Microsensory prices is in post #1.
A bit thin on information at the website is a bit of an understatement.
I will drop an Email to Xavier and ask for an update.

As far as I know there is no difficulty flipping channels back and forth. Likewise I believe that you can not have two transmitters on screen at once.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert
Old 19-09-2017, 03:03 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Thanks Thomas

What conditions/ situations are you likely to lose a bird using the marshall?
If I remember right it has a range of 20 miles so if I was to start chasing it once it got 2 or 3 miles away and I was able to keep within range and other than it breaking or the batteries falling what else would affect it? For example if it was in thick woodland or amongst tall buildings could that cause signal loss?
Any idea when the updated version will be released?

Atb
Tom
A data signal will go about one third the distance of a beep. Marshall quotes GPS transmission at 3 to 4 miles ground to ground and 10 to 15 miles airborne. This corresponds well with their estimates of 10 to 15 ground, 30 to 45 miles airborne for the beep.

Remember that there are two links to a GPS tag.
First you need to get signal from the satellite down to the tag.Overhead canopy or tall buildings can interfere.
Then you need to radio the data from the tag to the PocketLink. Thick vegetation, tall buildings, ridges or hills in the path from the tag to the Plink will limit the distance at which data can be transferred. Unlike a beep reflections are not a problem. The location is in the data and the system does not care what direction it came from.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert