Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo

Old 15-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Chick

Thumbs up Re: Buzzard and my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlands Rescue View Post
All good experience mate. But trust me a normal well manned and trained harris will be just as good as a similar buzzard.

there are so many people breeding harris's lately
infact bops seem to be ending up in anyones hands , I was even saw a barn owl being kept in a chicken coop on preloved when I was looking for coops - this was a really distressing sight , I contacted the seller right away , the owl had '' gone '' probably died and the ad was removed , It makes me wonder how to find the right people for advice with so many people jumping into the hobby , particularly im interested in peregrines/kestrels/goshawks/sparrowhawks/merlins
I just like to learn , but I want to learn the right way ,
if I got a harris in the future I would want a male parent reared -its a long way away but with all these ''breeders'' everywhere how do you find a reputable breeder ? I don't want a bop for the sake of having one I want the right one and to do it right so I have the bird for the duration of its life , I often see people selling there harris's off ''for breeding not tame'' other times I see ''silly tame'' lol its not a pet
I don't know maybe its just me and my perspective but these days the harris
spread reminds me so much of a phase when alot of people where buying Burmese pythons and huge snakes
So I worry about new information and who I get it from

- I also don't think it helps that anyone can pick up a barn owl chick for as cheap as ú50 in some places

Buzzard isn't a bird im looking into to keep , but where I live there are many wild buzzards , I see a few everyday and it reminds me what a positive experience I had with one

I really haven't thought about what bird I would want for a long time i've gone back into just reading everything about everything lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkin View Post
It isn't just for beginner's but as Iv noticed the older you get the more clumsy you become knees start failing amongst other things and it pays to play safe
Yeah I saw a worker walking with the leash of a sea eagle in his mouth

I think I ranted abit off topic on my own thread , I do this
Beware of random off topic rants lol
Old 18-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: Buzzard and my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Red12 View Post
Good tip George. I wish I could make a few falconers I know tie their birds to the glove. The number of times Ive seen them getting over a gate or fence with the leash just held inbetween their fingers. One person flatly refuses, says its just beginers that do it. Sends shivers down my spine
I use a lanyard and clip attached to the D ring on my glove, If it's not my slip or I have finished I clip him to the Glove Easy Peasy, even when I have swivel leash etc attached I clip it to the swivel. Safety first
Old 18-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Andy Watts
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
I use a lanyard and clip attached to the D ring on my glove, If it's not my slip or I have finished I clip him to the Glove Easy Peasy, even when I have swivel leash etc attached I clip it to the swivel. Safety first
Hi Steve

What do you clip to when flying jesses are being used? Directly to the eyelet of the anklet or do you put mews jesses back in between slips?

Last season when ferreting I was using small bullets attached to the glove that could just fit in with the flying jesses when it wasn't my turn.

Just wondered how others do it, to remain secure but with time a consideration when flying with others.
Old 18-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscan View Post
Hi Steve

What do you clip to when flying jesses are being used? Directly to the eyelet of the anklet or do you put mews jesses back in between slips?

Last season when ferreting I was using small bullets attached to the glove that could just fit in with the flying jesses when it wasn't my turn.

Just wondered how others do it, to remain secure but with time a consideration when flying with others.
My Flying Jesses have a very small hole punched in the end, just big enough for the clip to engage.
Old 18-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Andy Watts
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
My Flying Jesses have a very small hole punched in the end, just big enough for the clip to engage.
Thanks