Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Owls - Strigiformes

Old 23-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Default Re: Tawny owl training questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfh2 View Post
Yesterday, Edo was at 365g, and he got it right at 50 cm.
(I have to show the first reward though).

It is difficult though to keep his focus. He gets distracted very easily, and have to be called for attention ...

When increasing distance, should I do it gradually during the session, or should I start the session further from the previous one from scratch ?
Thats an Owl all over!
Always start with something you know he can manage, thats a good gauge of response, and never ask more than you think he is willing or able to give. the worst thing you can do at this stage is stand there waving and shouting like a lunatic meanwhile the bird is busy taking in the sights thinking "well I'm in no rush and the foods going nowhere." As a rule, until you learn to read the bird, never call him more than three times without a response, and if that fails, don't be afraid to just pick him up and head home; a night without any tea will sharpen him up a touch and in this weather he won't go under in one night. As I said earlier you're looking for speed of response not distance at this stage. And as dangerous as this may be without seeing the bird I do agree with Alison. A bird on weight will have no hesitation at that distance so long as you've done the basic training which you seem to have. I would suggest he's still not at his true weight.
Old 23-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Egg

Suzie :
Yes, I had this notion that flying weight varies with weather conditions (among other things ...)

Ash :
Thanks very much for the tips. I do usually start the training with an easy step (but I was not sure I was doing the right thing).
However, I was probably soft on the response time discipline, because I'm not comfortable yet with low weight ...

I'll see how he behaves tomorrow morning.
Old 23-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Alison
Passage

I would call/contact Anna Sanchez for her opinion. I'm not experienced with the species and I would lean towards her vast expertise. She was a terrific help to me with my GHO.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Egg

Alison : I heard about mrs Sanchez. I'll try to make contact.

This morning, Edo was at 350g, but would make no move whatsoever (unless he positively saw the piece of meat).
I put him back in the pen. As I went away, he came at the door and hooted at me, in a blatant attempt to break my heart.

When I came back a hour or so later, he refused to do anything outside, but he would grace me with a tenth hops inside the pen (about 2 meters, not seing the food, variable rewards), but not really 'instant' (5 to 20 seconds).

I can blame the weather being too warm/bright, and humid (it rained this night). But I'll still be cutting off a bit to see if he gets more responsive.

Otherwise, I may be doing (having done) something not quite right.
Old 25-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Egg

Is it progress ?

This morning, Edo was at 345g. The weather was quite windy (so a lot of disturbances).
Now, I start at short distance with a visible tidbit.
First time out, he would not move after the first jump, so I put him back in the pen.
Second time, he got it, but was quite slow (his attention was everywhere but the glove). However, he gradually got focused on the exercise, and as it went on, response time were quicker.
However, I cannot get 'instant' response yet.
We ended up at 4 meters (last time was 2).