Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo

Old 02-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Egg

Default Corvid Training

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and not too experienced with falconry; I've flown lots of birds before, and regularly hunt with my mate's HHs, but apart from what reading I've done for enjoyment, I know little about the training process.

I recently rescued a jackdaw chick from the mouth of a friend's German Shepherd, and he has done very well, fed and grown like mad, and he's just at the point of starting to wean himself. He's very bloody imprinted, just starting to talk, and although he can fly very well, he's still not anywhere near as manouverable as jackdaws are famous for. I understand training will be very different for a corvid and any BOP, but I'd like some tips on how to get him happily flying in places that aren't our farm, how to restrain him (tiny jesses?&#128514 and he follows me everywhere so I don't want to fly him by weight, he's pretty food motivated and has eyes the size of his stomache so that won't be a problem. Also keeping? He's in an aviary with some exotic birds atm and I'm going to build him his own, so does anyone have a corvid, how do you keep it when it's not being flown?

Cheers very much guys, I understand a lot of you will be more used to seeing a jackdaw being plucked by your birds than on your fist 😂