Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 28-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Training Field

Hi Everyone

I've been doing some walks around my local area trying to locate some good Hawking ground, and in particular, a good training field. I have found one but wanted to know whether you all used something similar or you think it would be suitable. The field in question is surrounded by a thin line of trees and is open apart from that, ground is uneven apart from the centre. It's relatively sheltered from any wind which would be good with an in-experienced bird but Rabbits have warrens on the land and I'm wondering whether this would be a problem in terms of distraction? I'd hopefully be able to come back to it as a hunting ground though afterwards. It was fenced off to dog walkers and the public in general about three years ago now so has been left alone since then.

To the best of my knowledge, the max length of a creance is usually 50 yds.? If this is the case, the field would be big enough to accommodate this. My other concern is that it isn't far away from a link road where cars can get too fast which would be the biggest danger. A bonus of it is that possible hunting grounds aren't far away at all so I can easily access both. What are people's thoughts on this and could you put a brief description of the training ground/field you would use for a Medium-Sized Hawk? Any contributions are much appreciated, I hope the ground is suitable!

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 28-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Training Field

A football field type of place is what your looking for. Short grass so the creance won't snag.

The end.
Old 28-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
A football field type of place is what your looking for. Short grass so the creance won't snag.

The end.
Anyone got Arsenal's phone number?? This field does have short grass but I would've thought a more private place would be better?

Bradley
Old 28-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Haggard

I said "type" a football "type" field. Short grass and level or flat ground to prevent the creance snagging.

The end.
Old 28-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I said "type" a football "type" field. Short grass and level or flat ground to prevent the creance snagging.

The end.
This field has got short grass and is level in places but hey, you can't have it perfect always. What do you think about the Rabbits being on there as well, would it distract the bird to the extent that I couldn't train it?

Bradley
Old 28-07-2015, 04:14 PM
John Winder
Passage

Even mow a strip 6 feet wide, as advised by JPJ
Old 28-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Haggard

Better still, avoid like the plague any suggestion of a "training field" and get used, from the outset, to training your hawk in a variety of places. Hawks flown regularly and often in one place often perform badly when taken somewhere strange.
Henry V Act 2.
Old 26-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

I have started asking around for permissions now and written a letter to the company that owns the land. I will try and get a few pics up off it soon.

Bradley
Old 26-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned
Passage

Hope you get some land mate.have you thought of using ferrets or dogs when hunting atb
Old 26-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Hope you get some land mate.have you thought of using ferrets or dogs when hunting atb
A friend that I've mentioned before is training up his Dog at the minute and said he'll probably get Ferrets so they can both hunt alongside my bird. He would be my partner in crime when it comes to hunting, he's quite into his field craft as well. I expect on some occasions I'd just go out with the bird, keep it down to true bonded hunting. I'm possibly going to be looking for a few permissions in the Kent Downs so I can do a bit of Waiting-On style hunting with the bird, or have I just got my head in the clouds?

Bradley