Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Joskin Joskin is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sherborne, gloucestershire
Posts: 26
Default Training question.

I have a male Harris and am currently going through the manning and training steps. I have had him for 2.5 weeks and in the last couple of days have got him flying on the creance to almost full length. This happened rather rapidly (possibly too quick) only problem I have is that he tries to fly to me before I even put the glove up and call him. As soon as I stop walking away he comes. I always duck out of the way forcing him to land elsewhere and then retrieve him with no food and return him to where he started from and go again. Am I doing the right thing???

Any tips would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-09-2015, 10:42 PM
DaveyMc's Avatar
DaveyMc DaveyMc is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: sunderland
Posts: 4,264
Default Re: Training question.

Wind up.judgein on your fist post .your trying to get a bite from some1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Chance's Avatar
Chance Chance is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Our House (unless I'm out)
Posts: 1,690
Default Re: Training question.

If you are genuine put up a few pics, common sense should tell you that you need a mate working with you to hold the bird or block it's view till your ready for it. Atb. John
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Joskin Joskin is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sherborne, gloucestershire
Posts: 26
Default Re: Training question.

Sorry!!!!! I don't follow ?

Well obviously I don't have common sense then!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Reubs's Avatar
Reubs Reubs is offline
Reuben
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,269
Default Re: Training question.

Let the bird land on the glove no reward. It will soon get the message. I've never had anyone work with me whilst training birds and have had this. Sometimes even when hunting birds will return to the glove to soon and get no reward.

Atb Reuben
__________________
A bird is for life not just a couple of seasons!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Joskin Joskin is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sherborne, gloucestershire
Posts: 26
Default Re: Training question.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-09-2015, 09:50 AM
DaveyMc's Avatar
DaveyMc DaveyMc is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: sunderland
Posts: 4,264
Default Re: Training question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubs View Post
Let the bird land on the glove no reward. It will soon get the message. I've never had anyone work with me whilst training birds and have had this. Sometimes even when hunting birds will return to the glove to soon and get no reward.

Atb Reuben
I wouldnt give no reward at this stage.might be better having food in your hand at the ready .then when free start no reward for this behaviour .you dont want to put him off .i think he sounds ready to go free yet i cant really say without seeing the hawk.only the falconer can tell.atb
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Joskin Joskin is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sherborne, gloucestershire
Posts: 26
Default Re: Training question.

I'm sure that he is almost ready to fly free it's just me that's not quite there. Will try to resolve the issue of him coming too soon first but will see how it goes. Hopefully free by the weekend. Would you guys recommend introducing the bunny lure before flying free of once he is free?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Hardcore Hawker's Avatar
Hardcore Hawker Hardcore Hawker is offline
Steve Vaughan
Haggard
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colchester, Essex
Posts: 5,597
Default Re: Training question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joskin View Post
I'm sure that he is almost ready to fly free it's just me that's not quite there. Will try to resolve the issue of him coming too soon first but will see how it goes. Hopefully free by the weekend. Would you guys recommend introducing the bunny lure before flying free of once he is free?
As soon as a Harris does this during training I put telemetry on and away I go, for the first free flight I would maybe slightly cut his ration the day previous or fly an hour or two later in the day to increase appetite.

Forget a Dummy Bunny, procure yourself a real Rabbit Carcass instead. Get flying free and recall sorted before introducing the Rabbit.
__________________
Roll up Roll up to see the show:D
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24-09-2015, 12:24 PM
MoorMan1's Avatar
MoorMan1 MoorMan1 is offline
Mark
Passage
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 779
Default Re: Training question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
As soon as a Harris does this during training I put telemetry on and away I go, for the first free flight I would maybe slightly cut his ration the day previous or fly an hour or two later in the day to increase appetite.

Forget a Dummy Bunny, procure yourself a real Rabbit Carcass instead. Get flying free and recall sorted before introducing the Rabbit.
Well said Steve....!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
question, training

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.