Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Martin
Passage

Default Re: Rope Training

Just to clarify is this something you do before you have your bird flying free?
Or is it a case of they sre flying free but not quite got hunting fitness?

If you are flying for an hour each day should you still do this? Or maybe alternate?

Martin
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 PM
George
Haggard

Cracking thread.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Philip Farrugia - Section Moderator
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Donnelly View Post
Just to clarify is this something you do before you have your bird flying free?
Or is it a case of they sre flying free but not quite got hunting fitness?

If you are flying for an hour each day should you still do this? Or maybe alternate?

Martin

Personally I use this method often before the first flight or when they are overfed or cant go out flying them
Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Steve Field
Passage

Smile Re: Rope Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcun View Post
I use this method to high jump my falcons, I stand on a stool to increase the height.It really increase their fitness
Does this not make a mess of your shoes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Taken up my rope fitness training again the last couple of weeks with the eagles. I know Iain (Laggan ) had good results with his harris and Joe(Big JoeJoe) and Jim (Outflying) had good results with goshawks.

I am trying it with the gos and noticing a big difference in fitness and recovery time after a heavy session.

How is everybody that tried it getting on.

A couple of photos of the eagles, Bentley 1st ;
Neil,

Bentley looks ready to gag!

Have shared my views on open Forum before, but this is fitness training par excellence in my opinion. For the reasons I have stated before, but happy to reinforce, for short/broadwings this builds many features I am seeking in a hunting hawk:

- explosive power
- aerobic fitness
- incredible recovery from exertion
- reinforces falconer/hawk association

The ability to monitor and measure fitness is precise.

It is also infinitely variable as the hawk increases fitness through either increased repetitions, additional drag (mass of line) or longer recalls. As such I find the variation constantly stimulating to the hawk........as well as to the falconer!

I know I have stressed this before, but will do so again, it is imperative that such high level fitness training is maintained on non-flying days. Keeping detailed records, I am satisfied that it is demonstrable that flying a hawk to game cannot deliver the same levels of fitness that such a regular regime can impart.

Since you introduced the technique to me, I have never gone back, never will. It has delivered superlative results in the field and, for me, this is what counts most. My hawking is intensive, and this training has substantially increased the ability to get flight-after-flight.

Iain
Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Passage

Sorry, but I forgot to post something which I also find is very important.

In previous threads/posts, I have seen many folk asking about dimensions of creance for dragged training, length of creance. Unfortunately, like many things in falconry, it is matter of judgement, experience etc. There are no short cuts with a magic formula.

So, if I may offer words of encouragement to anyone deciding whether to give it a go, it would be to experiment for yourselves, find out techniques and practices which work for you and your hawk. You won't be disappointed.

A late moult has delayed the start to my season, but instant response calls in recent days, with massive, dense globs of pectoral muscle, largely as a carry-over from last season, and a Harris at 1200g with amazing recovery between hard flights and after a training session............puts a huge smile on my face knowing that I have done everything to prepare her properly.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Brancher

Have shared my views on open Forum before, but this is fitness training par excellence in my opinion. For the reasons I have stated before, but happy to reinforce, for short/broadwings this builds many features I am seeking in a hunting hawk:

- explosive power
- aerobic fitness
- incredible recovery from exertion
- reinforces falconer/hawk association

The ability to monitor and measure fitness is precise.

It is also infinitely variable as the hawk increases fitness through either increased repetitions, additional drag (mass of line) or longer recalls. As such I find the variation constantly stimulating to the hawk........as well as to the falconer!

I know I have stressed this before, but will do so again, it is imperative that such high level fitness training is maintained on non-flying days. Keeping detailed records, I am satisfied that it is demonstrable that flying a hawk to game cannot deliver the same levels of fitness that such a regular regime can impart.

Since you introduced the technique to me, I have never gone back, never will. It has delivered superlative results in the field and, for me, this is what counts most. My hawking is intensive, and this training has substantially increased the ability to get flight-after-flight.

Iain[/QUOTE]hi lain
Through your advice on rope training i have seen my goss come on in every aspect of fitness and i can see him getting stronger and stronger thank you and neil you know how you are ....... for this technique. atvb colin
Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
hi lain
through your advice on rope training i have seen my goss come on in every aspect of fitness and i can see him getting stronger and stronger thank you and neil you know how you are ....... for this technique. atvb colin
[/QUOTE]

Colin,

that's fantastic.....but the real thanks is to Neil, I have merely plagiarised. It is posts like yours that make the Forum worthwhile - helping others get more out of their falconry. Have a great season.

Iain
Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Brancher

What a brilliant idea - and like all brilliant ideas so simple! My male HH has just been pulled from moult and I will definitely use this technique. Many thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Passage

very interesting something i've been looking into this thread has made things more clearer.

nice 1 neils and laggan

Jay