Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 27-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Passage

Default Re: Zeus- a muddled diary in pics and words!

Hi Dave hadn't noticed that thread before hope you have more luck this time round.
Old 27-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

So do I hehe

Dave it's keepered land for a posh shoot so foxes are kept low in number, I probably see less than one fox per season
Old 27-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

I thought as much but also there was a possibility that as quite a few hunts took to the eagle method, that you could have done something in that area
Old 27-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

On this estate the Pytchley run through some times but its not a regular fox hound bit. If it was there would be a lot more foxes there!
Old 27-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Lol They are usually good sources of gaining permission for what you're after as they don't like scents interfering with their drag
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

It seems I forgot to upload last weeks, heres that copied over, todays to follow and Zeus hasnt been out hunting or training once in between due to work.not ideal....

We got out at the weeked. Saturday was very wet in many parts but we got out to sunshine, mild temperature and absolute howling wind. The wind was probably and eight out of ten as far as windy weather goes this season!
With the shooting season just finished the whole estate was my oyster! Having a meeting booked for next Saturday I was keen not to walk all the best fields over the far side of the estate so walked from my usual fields across about half of the ‘other’ side.
My companions were Auxi, Young Ryan who is a very aspiring Falconer and his dad Chris. Also the Wonder Woman who found Zeus for me when I lost him last year and her friend Gary. When I pulled Zeus from his travel box to get him kitted up Karen exclaimed ‘Crickey! He didn’t look that big when I found him in the dark!’
My human companions weren’t bad; they were quiet when I asked them to be and after a bit of instruction managed to keep a reasonably straight line. They were savvy with country life which always helps. My female hero of last year has two pet lurchers that have taken thirty two muntjac including one this morning! She doesn’t hunt but her dogs do and she lives in a house inside a forest!
However! Auxi was cruising for a bruising! She was so naughty for her! With my beaters distracting me the pup would take every opportunity to sneakily do whatever the hell she wanted. My corrections started as stern blows on the whistle and degraded to loud shouting with expletives added too. To be honest she wasn’t half bad but she wasn’t the perfection I like to strive for that’s for sure and I wished I had left her at home today.
We set off by walking the big dipper field that I have mentioned before, nothing moved from the wide rough grass strip down its centre. We moved to its low side and walked the wide cover strip that I’m now allowed to disturb. I saw two hares

running its length sixty yards ahead of my gang. Both hares were slipped and Zeus both times ended up a long way down wind as each one hid under the hedge to my right. I walked close to recall him to avoid him lifting up and then getting carried further away downwind.
The next field was soft clinging dark mud set with just sprouting beans. I walked along a high ridge with the wind blowing from right to left. I stayed seventy or eighty yards ahead of the beaters working the ground below me to my right. I had the pup walking to heel (with much berating to stop her running off hunting!) It took half the field length but eventually I saw what looked like a very pale hare running against the dark soil. The hare was way behind me and running up the hill I was on. He ran perfectly really and as I slipped the eagle the hare was in a perfect zone regarding the direction of the rushing wind. Zeus covered maybe a hundred and twenty five yards and put in. I couldn’t actually see the hare due to a fold in the land but it looked like a good attack. Nope! Zeus was up again and chasing across the landscape and still heading downwind. He put in again in the next field and again out of sight due to the lie of the land. I ran over the soft sicky soil. As I made it to the highest point between us I slowed to a walk, I was breathing hard and my legs were not happy! Zeus was away in the next field and as much as he tried to return, the wind just kept him at the same distance like he was flying up and down an invisible forcefield. I closed the gap to fifty yards and he battled his way to me.
From now it was into the ‘new’ side of the land and we moved on, heading into the wind that was forcefully trying to push us away and back from whence we came. Off across a small grass field and into a vast field of mud sporting a sparce wig of very short winter wheat. The field was huge and ran from our left to our right; we crossed its short length straight through the middle to a far gap in the opposite hedge. As we reached the far side Gary proclaimed with no urgency or excitement ‘there’s a hare over there’. This hare was by now a fair way off running across wind, Zeus was away and momentarily the hare was in the danger radius but as Zeus made up some ground the hare pushed out to the left of the danger zone and was now able to take his foot of the gas as the howling wind pushed the eagle and his big sails past the hares path. The eagle couldn’t get back on track into the headwind and landed way out into the field. I ran nearer and recalled him.
Into the next field I wanted to walk a rough corner of a big field again sown with wheat. Before we walked this patch I walked up to the top of a very tall man made hill just to see what I could see for future reference. The huge fields beyong, again short wheat, were alive with hares cavorting in the sunshine, they stood out as large pale things against the dark soil beneath the baby grasses. Not ideal to hawk but a good sign for next weekends meet.
Back to the rough corner area. I asked the beaters to wait while I skulked along the hedgerow to the end of the patch and wind blowing from me to them. Four hares broke away into the wind as I sneaked along! I was now way past the patch with my back to the field of wheat and beaters walking the sedge and grass towards me. Nothing moved until they got to the very end and out broke a hare, I slipped Zeus into the wind to give lift before he turned away and chased but he carried on over my right shoulder. Two hares were playing tag behind me! A wasted slip! Zeus was collected after this year’s first scan with the telemetry receiver, two big fields away.
By the time I had rejoined the gang we decided to head back in a big loop to the cars. As we walked back across this huge field a hare broke dead ahead running straight down the wind. I didn’t step it out but he was 300 yards maybe 400 away in front as I slipped Zeus. He was arrow straight and the hare ran true with the following wind. My companions witnessed the shear distance a Goldie can cover at speed with the elements in his favour. He wasn’t gliding downwind he was low and flying fast. They were two specs in the distance as the eagle closed to the hare. I would love to have had the latest Marshall telemetry just to see recorded what the huge bird’s terminal velocity was! We all of us stood silent watching the huge gap between predator and prey shrink almost holding our breaths as the last few yards became feet. The hare stopped, sat up and waited as the huge angel of death came into him at warp speed. He waited for the perfect moment in time, his time perception very diferent to ours; he simply took a jump to his right and let the eagle fly on by! The speed and the wind pushing him along meant the eagle could do not a single thing about it.
We walked our loop back to the vehicles, three miles more. The wind making our chances slim, the eagle getting lots of airtime and the pup having to be corrected far more than usual. We saw several hares that due to wind direction never got flown and we saw hares that scurried away along hedgerows. We did however get three more flights, two seeing the eagle dive into the hedge bottoms and missing. Zeus had one good effort, down hill into a field corner and we all thought we had ended on a high! But despite a clump of fur flying the hare still managed to evade capture.
Back at the vehicles I let Karen pose for a few photos with the Eagle on the glove. Last time she’d held him she had stepped him up onto her jumper sleeve from a fence rail that he had roosted on for the night. Karen and Gary’s dog walking strolls often being carried out late in the day so that other dog walkers don’t hear the commosions as her lurchers take another Muntjac! A couple of pints at the local pub then home.
Roll on the next less windy outing.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Passage

Great write up again looking forward to the next installment.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

I'm getting cheesed off with poor bag! Been a tough one this year and it all comes down to the one thing, lack of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20180128-WA0001.jpg (93.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20180128-WA0000.jpg (96.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Jeff & Vicky
Passage

It still puts a smile on my face Dave, thinking of that young lady having the balls to pick Zeus up in the dark with just a jumper for protection
Old 03-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Passage

Bet she'd think twice now shes seen him in day light.

Keep your chin up Dave hopefully the kills will come.