Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Hawk Food & Nutritional Needs

Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Tony Le-Britton
Brancher

Default Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

There are so many ads at the moment clainimg that their birds are fed on a "top class diet"

You call, only to find out they feed their birds day old chicks, and nothing else! I'd really hate to see what they called a poor diet...... mabee bread & water??

All my barn owls get a mixture of rabbit, mice and day old chicks. I'm going to add more into their diet once i find a decent supplier in my area!

The butchers now cant sell whole rabbits ith their fur & guts intact......... how strange!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Passage

Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLB View Post
There are so many ads at the moment clainimg that their birds are fed on a "top class diet"

You call, only to find out they feed their birds day old chicks, and nothing else! I'd really hate to see what they called a poor diet...... mabee bread & water??

All my barn owls get a mixture of rabbit, mice and day old chicks. I'm going to add more into their diet once i find a decent supplier in my area!

The butchers now cant sell whole rabbits ith their fur & guts intact......... how strange!
Maybe these DOC's are the offspring of prize winning parents
Chicks form a useful part of the diet for a raptor but are far from being a 'complete diet'. If they were, James Welbeloved would surely have jumped on the wagon by now, and many would feed their hawks as they do their ferrets...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Dan
Passage

Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:

Why are you rearing a barn owl on rabbit, its the poorest quality meat going and hardly a natural deit of a barn owl.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bray View Post
Why are you rearing a barn owl on rabbit, its the poorest quality meat going and hardly a natural deit of a barn owl.
I give it to mine just to vary the diet for them...never had no probs, but I certainly wouldn't feed it to the exclusivity of more nutritious food, particularly for a growing bird
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Tony Le-Britton
Brancher

Barn owls will and do take rabbits, especially young rabbits at this time of year! It makes up a small percentage of their food but it is good to vary their diet. With the adults, rabbit makes them work a bit harder for their food rather than just handing them a chick on a plate.

I was speaking with JPJ yesterday and she uses minced rabbit, along with chicks, mice etc to rear her owls.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Paul Hill
Passage

You may want to read want Neil Forbes has to say on the subject:
Http://falconryarticles.com/?p=64
Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Passage

Quote:
Barn owls will and do take rabbits, especially young rabbits at this time of year! It makes up a small percentage of their food but it is good to vary their diet. With the adults, rabbit makes them work a bit harder for their food rather than just handing them a chick on a plate.

I was speaking with JPJ yesterday and she uses minced rabbit, along with chicks, mice etc to rear her owls.
'nuf said. If its good enough for JPJ...its good enough for me (I've been doing it for years anyway). So why not for the rest of us
Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

Quote:

Neil Forbes, one of the top avian vets there is, does a talk on bird of prey care and welfare and during this he states that research shows that doc's are in fact a very good diet. I don't believe that he advocates a diet solely of just docs however.

If someone was advertising that a particular bird had been fed a quality diet and in fact was only fed doc then they are mis-representing. A quality diet would normally be taken to mean largly a whole animal diet of either rodents or birds (or a mixture) depending on the type of bird. I would personally expect it to include a large proportion of either quail or rats or mice depending on the species as these are considered to be better than docs for the relevant species. However, if docs were fed as part of a mixed diet it wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Tony Le-Britton
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmaster View Post
You may want to read want Neil Forbes has to say on the subject:
http://falconryarticles.com/?p=64
Thank Neil,

That made very interesting reading!

I must admit, i love a bit of rabbit now and again too! Low in calories, high in protein!!

Lets try and breed a cow sized rabbit and make this meat more commercial!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieT View Post
Neil Forbes, one of the top avian vets there is, does a talk on bird of prey care and welfare and during this he states that research shows that doc's are in fact a very good diet. I don't believe that he advocates a diet solely of just docs however.

If someone was advertising that a particular bird had been fed a quality diet and in fact was only fed doc then they are mis-representing. A quality diet would normally be taken to mean largly a whole animal diet of either rodents or birds (or a mixture) depending on the type of bird. I would personally expect it to include a large proportion of either quail or rats or mice depending on the species as these are considered to be better than docs for the relevant species. However, if docs were fed as part of a mixed diet it wouldn't bother me in the least.
I totally agree with this!! They had been giving a diet soley of doc's!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Joy Mallard
Brancher

All birds should be given variety i mean how would u feel if u was given chips every day without variety think you'd get pretty bored with it