Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Hawk Food & Nutritional Needs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
TDLB TDLB is offline
Tony Le-Britton
Brancher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 106
Default Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

There are so many ads at the moment clainimg that their birds are fed on a "top class diet"

You call, only to find out they feed their birds day old chicks, and nothing else! I'd really hate to see what they called a poor diet...... mabee bread & water??

All my barn owls get a mixture of rabbit, mice and day old chicks. I'm going to add more into their diet once i find a decent supplier in my area!

The butchers now cant sell whole rabbits ith their fur & guts intact......... how strange!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Colin Bevan's Avatar
Colin Bevan Colin Bevan is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wiltshire (Ex Shropshire)
Posts: 3,057
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLB View Post
There are so many ads at the moment clainimg that their birds are fed on a "top class diet"

You call, only to find out they feed their birds day old chicks, and nothing else! I'd really hate to see what they called a poor diet...... mabee bread & water??

All my barn owls get a mixture of rabbit, mice and day old chicks. I'm going to add more into their diet once i find a decent supplier in my area!

The butchers now cant sell whole rabbits ith their fur & guts intact......... how strange!
Maybe these DOC's are the offspring of prize winning parents
Chicks form a useful part of the diet for a raptor but are far from being a 'complete diet'. If they were, James Welbeloved would surely have jumped on the wagon by now, and many would feed their hawks as they do their ferrets...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Dan Bray's Avatar
Dan Bray Dan Bray is offline
Dan
Passage
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,387
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLB View Post
There are so many ads at the moment clainimg that their birds are fed on a "top class diet"

You call, only to find out they feed their birds day old chicks, and nothing else! I'd really hate to see what they called a poor diet...... mabee bread & water??

All my barn owls get a mixture of rabbit, mice and day old chicks. I'm going to add more into their diet once i find a decent supplier in my area!

The butchers now cant sell whole rabbits ith their fur & guts intact......... how strange!
Why are you rearing a barn owl on rabbit, its the poorest quality meat going and hardly a natural deit of a barn owl.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Colin Bevan's Avatar
Colin Bevan Colin Bevan is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wiltshire (Ex Shropshire)
Posts: 3,057
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bray View Post
Why are you rearing a barn owl on rabbit, its the poorest quality meat going and hardly a natural deit of a barn owl.
I give it to mine just to vary the diet for them...never had no probs, but I certainly wouldn't feed it to the exclusivity of more nutritious food, particularly for a growing bird
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM
TDLB TDLB is offline
Tony Le-Britton
Brancher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 106
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Barn owls will and do take rabbits, especially young rabbits at this time of year! It makes up a small percentage of their food but it is good to vary their diet. With the adults, rabbit makes them work a bit harder for their food rather than just handing them a chick on a plate.

I was speaking with JPJ yesterday and she uses minced rabbit, along with chicks, mice etc to rear her owls.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Hawkmaster's Avatar
Hawkmaster Hawkmaster is offline
Paul Hill
Passage
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Devon
Posts: 2,861
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

You may want to read want Neil Forbes has to say on the subject:
Http://falconryarticles.com/?p=64
__________________
Best way to contact me is by TEXT 07790942348
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Colin Bevan's Avatar
Colin Bevan Colin Bevan is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wiltshire (Ex Shropshire)
Posts: 3,057
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLB View Post
Barn owls will and do take rabbits, especially young rabbits at this time of year! It makes up a small percentage of their food but it is good to vary their diet. With the adults, rabbit makes them work a bit harder for their food rather than just handing them a chick on a plate.

I was speaking with JPJ yesterday and she uses minced rabbit, along with chicks, mice etc to rear her owls.
'nuf said. If its good enough for JPJ...its good enough for me (I've been doing it for years anyway). So why not for the rest of us
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
EddieT's Avatar
EddieT EddieT is offline
Eddie Thorn
Passage
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,582
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLB View Post
There are so many ads at the moment clainimg that their birds are fed on a "top class diet"

You call, only to find out they feed their birds day old chicks, and nothing else! I'd really hate to see what they called a poor diet...... mabee bread & water??

All my barn owls get a mixture of rabbit, mice and day old chicks. I'm going to add more into their diet once i find a decent supplier in my area!

The butchers now cant sell whole rabbits ith their fur & guts intact......... how strange!
Neil Forbes, one of the top avian vets there is, does a talk on bird of prey care and welfare and during this he states that research shows that doc's are in fact a very good diet. I don't believe that he advocates a diet solely of just docs however.

If someone was advertising that a particular bird had been fed a quality diet and in fact was only fed doc then they are mis-representing. A quality diet would normally be taken to mean largly a whole animal diet of either rodents or birds (or a mixture) depending on the type of bird. I would personally expect it to include a large proportion of either quail or rats or mice depending on the species as these are considered to be better than docs for the relevant species. However, if docs were fed as part of a mixed diet it wouldn't bother me in the least.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
TDLB TDLB is offline
Tony Le-Britton
Brancher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 106
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmaster View Post
You may want to read want Neil Forbes has to say on the subject:
http://falconryarticles.com/?p=64
Thank Neil,

That made very interesting reading!

I must admit, i love a bit of rabbit now and again too! Low in calories, high in protein!!

Lets try and breed a cow sized rabbit and make this meat more commercial!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieT View Post
Neil Forbes, one of the top avian vets there is, does a talk on bird of prey care and welfare and during this he states that research shows that doc's are in fact a very good diet. I don't believe that he advocates a diet solely of just docs however.

If someone was advertising that a particular bird had been fed a quality diet and in fact was only fed doc then they are mis-representing. A quality diet would normally be taken to mean largly a whole animal diet of either rodents or birds (or a mixture) depending on the type of bird. I would personally expect it to include a large proportion of either quail or rats or mice depending on the species as these are considered to be better than docs for the relevant species. However, if docs were fed as part of a mixed diet it wouldn't bother me in the least.
I totally agree with this!! They had been giving a diet soley of doc's!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Joy's Avatar
Joy Joy is offline
Joy Mallard
Brancher
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: nottingham
Posts: 124
Default Re: Why do people think that day old chicks constitute a "top class diet"????

All birds should be given variety i mean how would u feel if u was given chips every day without variety think you'd get pretty bored with it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
chicks, constitute, day, people, top class diet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.