Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Egg

Default Training with drones

Hi. Giacomo from Italy. Please, could you suggest me links, videos or books where I can find a step by step training method with drones for my falcons? I will be very grateful if someone could help me in dealing with this. Cheers. G

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default Re: Training with drones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor2366 View Post
Hi. Giacomo from Italy. Please, could you suggest me links, videos or books where I can find a step by step training method with drones for my falcons? I will be very grateful if someone could help me in dealing with this. Cheers. G

Hi Giacomo - the drone is just the modern alternative to the kite so check out http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=105747

Gerry x
Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Egg

I've actually been struggling a bit to get my falcons on the drone also and although the mentioned thread is REALLY good, it's not covering the use of the drone, equipment needed, how to acclimatise the birds etc, it would be fantastic if someone that does use drones regularly would do a thread similar to the above mentioned kite thread. As I personally don't have anyone that I can ask for advice near to me or indeed know any other falconers. So please SOMEONE help us out here!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned
Passage

I guess you could say the robo bird is the next step up from the drone. I seen them in action yesterday and they are very impressive...ended up in a tree but yes was really good to watch. They do a goshawk one which they said is good for site clearance. This part I'm not keen on as it's flying a real bird that gives the buzz and what it's really all about let us not forget.

Atb
Tom
Old 04-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher1975 View Post
I've actually been struggling a bit to get my falcons on the drone also and although the mentioned thread is REALLY good, it's not covering the use of the drone, equipment needed, how to acclimatise the birds etc, it would be fantastic if someone that does use drones regularly would do a thread similar to the above mentioned kite thread. As I personally don't have anyone that I can ask for advice near to me or indeed know any other falconers. So please SOMEONE help us out here!
It isnt rocket science Jason - apart from the equipment needed (a small drone plus parachute rig - check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/638225762881050/) the rest is identical to using kites. There is no acclimatisation necessary - just reduce the hawks' weight and initially have the drone hover at a low level with the bait/lure at 5ft in front of the hawk. Work on distance first without increasing height too much then once off the creance you can gradually increase the height of drone, initially maintaining a shallow angle but becoming steeper as height goes up.

Gerry x
Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Hi Giacomo - the drone is just the modern alternative to the kite so check out http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=105747

Gerry x

Great! Thank you Gerry

Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 AM
Egg

Ok, so 'it's not rocket science!' I must be a bit more thick than I thought! Unfortunately, at the beginning of the year (February) I had a go with my drone that I bought especially just for my falcons to help build their fitness, I was just trying it out to see how easy it was, and while flying my Pere/Saker, either the second or third time, I had the drone a good bit up with the lure maybe 40ish feet off the ground, he didn't seem to be grasping the idea with the lure being a bit higher than normal and not moving so very stupidly, I thought It was a good idea to try and get his attention by jiggling the lure about a little bit using the drone. Worked great, bird saw the lure, flew up and bound to it. Unfortunately the drone was still moving about a bit and instead of the chute deploying, somehow the line under the drone connecting it to the bottle for the chute got very rapidly wound around a couple of the props and crashing down came the whole lot very narrowly missing my falcon! I haven't used it since as I'm terrified of a similar thing happening. I read a great deal about the set up and the best drones to use and watched numerous you tube videos on the subject and thought I'd got a good grasp of things. Obviously not! Extremely lucky I didn't cause any damage to bird or drone. But you live and learn I suppose. I've had hawks and falcons since childhood and never had any issues like this, thought it looked easier and more straightforward than trying kites, which I've never used before either.
So anybody trying this on their own for the first time please take heed, although 'it's not rocket science' it certainly isn't 'fool proof'. Unfortunately.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 AM
Tod
Passage

Morning Lurcher,dont worry too much,I changed over to the drone a while back...I think the main thing is now to try a get the falcon used to the drone have it hovering 100yds off and feed on the ground,on a fixed lure,,,take your time,decrease the distance and so on..
Then just have the drone maybe 60/70 feet up with the the quail/lure just touching the ground some falcons do not like hitting the target in the air that close to the deck.
It all needs to be done very slowly and over a period of time..
I use a carp fishing bobbin,clipped to a small loop of strimmer cord,then the chute goes in and inverted bottle with a tiny cable tie just to stop the rotors blowing the chute out pre release..
Tod,
Old 05-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrownHill View Post
Morning Lurcher,dont worry too much,I changed over to the drone a while back...I think the main thing is now to try a get the falcon used to the drone have it hovering 100yds off and feed on the ground,on a fixed lure,,,take your time,decrease the distance and so on..
Then just have the drone maybe 60/70 feet up with the the quail/lure just touching the ground some falcons do not like hitting the target in the air that close to the deck.
It all needs to be done very slowly and over a period of time..
I use a carp fishing bobbin,clipped to a small loop of strimmer cord,then the chute goes in and inverted bottle with a tiny cable tie just to stop the rotors blowing the chute out pre release..
Tod,
Thanks Tod ,
Nice , Easy to understand explanation .

ATB
John155
Old 05-09-2017, 06:16 PM
David
Brancher

Can the guys using drones share any photos of the underside bottle, parachute and release setup please.

Cheers in advance.