Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Hawk Food & Nutritional Needs

Old 28-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Yolk Sacs In Chicks

Hi Everyone

I have a question regarding feeding chicks. I have heard that you should remove the chick's yolk sac before feeding. Is this true, if so, why? Is it only certain birds that this is nessasary for, or is it all Raptors. I just heard this somewhere and it's bugging me why. I hope you will all be able to awnser my question. Thanks in advance.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 28-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Levit
Brancher

Default Re: Yolk Sacs In Chicks

It is because of the high cholesterol in the egg yolk, it can be harder to control/get the birds weight down if it still has a lot of energy/ fat from the yolk. you don't have to remove it but it makes things cleaner and weight control easier. you could feed it to breeding birds and moulting birds because they really need it. that is how understand it anyway! I am only a beginner myself, but others could say.
Old 28-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradazthefalconer View Post
Hi Everyone

I have a question regarding feeding chicks. I have heard that you should remove the chick's yolk sac before feeding. Is this true, if so, why? Is it only certain birds that this is nessasary for, or is it all Raptors. I just heard this somewhere and it's bugging me why. I hope you will all be able to awnser my question. Thanks in advance.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Hi Brad, you do hear things like there no good, but recent studies have shown that the whole chick is good for your bird, if I use chicks in the field, I usually deyoke them because it makes a mess of the glove, if I am trying to lower the birds weight there gutted, when I feed whole its on the ground or lure, but it does make a mess of a leather lure, I keep meaning to make some rubber lures, easy to keep clean, a friend of mine lets his dog clean his lure, made from a car innertube,
Old 28-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Arthur
Passage

Wink Re: Yolk Sacs In Chicks

Water and soap ...... rinse .. easy ...
Old 28-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Midge
Passage

Jst a quick question on this topic I've always skinned my poults and on quite a few occasions some of the yolk is a green color I alway defrost more than I need incase of this,,Why is the yolk green colour I always frow them away but I wonderd the people who Dnt skin wouldn't no if was bad or not.
Atb
Old 28-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Haggard

Here you go Bradley, a link to 'Raptor Nutrition' by Neil Forbes.

Http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resou...50568626ea.pdf

Take your time to study that carefully because it's by a top avian vet.

Note this bit about day old chicks...
'......If the doc is fed with yolk included the fat content is high, but when the yolk sac is removed there is a significant deleterious reduction in the Ca: P ratio as well as the levels of vitamin A and E4....'

(You know, of course, that the definition of 'deleterious' is 'causing harm or damage'.)
Old 28-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Haggard

Its a load of guff only relevant if that's all you feed your bird, and common sense tells you they need a mixed diet,docs are best deyolked because they split in your vest but at home they're fine
Old 28-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
Its a load of guff only relevant if that's all you feed your bird, and common sense tells you they need a mixed diet,docs are best deyolked because they split in your vest but at home they're fine

I've never mastered the art of twirling spaghetti round the fork and always get it all over me. But I'm not eating the darn stuff without sauce just to keep my top clean. Eat it, spill it, wash it.
Old 28-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
Hi Shaun,

during the moult, any chicks I use will be complete with the yolk sac. But during the season, I rarely allow anything but a small amount of yolk, and then generally only when I think it may be beneficial.
In my experience, hawks rarely perform as well when they're allowed large amounts of yolk, and de-yolked chicks make a very good staple diet, when, as you say, it's supplemented with other food as required (required that is, to ensure the best performances and the best of health, rather than to conform with veterinary advice).

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 28-02-2015, 07:35 PM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
In my experience, hawks rarely perform as well when they're allowed large amounts of yolk, and de-yolked chicks make a very good staple diet, when, as you say, it's supplemented with other food as required (required that is, to ensure the best performances and the best of health, rather than to conform with veterinary advice).

Best wishes,

Tony.
Hi Tony,

That'd be mine too, and a wise post you've written, if I could suggest it's so,

There can be debate neverending regarding the value/balance or not of specific nutrients, vitamins and so on, when feeding a hawk, or indeed people.

When common sense applies, there can be a much more adequate outcome and understanding of matters, not in that order necessarily. Not long after my recent kebab I performed exceedingly well, so it was said, and today I am supplementing myself with all manner of healthier treats, so as to retain my physical splendour and sustain myself at all, for a few more minutes.

All the best

Johny