Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Passage

Default Re: GERMAN GOSHAWKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
Looks like it's wearing around the ring area and it's wood, I've seen the metal /rubber ones which look great, I don't have an issue with the perch I'd just worry about that weak spot I've seen natural untreated wood that looks solid just snap, I'm sure it's fine just not for me
Thanks for the reply Shaun, Fairpoint on the wood, I was thinking it was more the design you didn't like. Like you say it's a job to tell how good the wood is without actually seeing it. It was the metal/rubber ones that I was thinking of trying. Kind regards Chris
Old 17-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Brancher

Well the little chap has only a few tail feathers to come down and I will pick him up again.
This will be his ninth season.
I will need to change all his gear and this year I will fit his usual plectrum tail-mount.
Last year I tried the metal tube type of mount that are crimped and glued to a feather shaft.
But he ended up losing his decks, one after the other due to getting them caught in cover or branches etc..
I am not sure if its related, but I'm not taking the chance this season.

I have started to reduce his rations slightly, with a big crop out of corvid every few days.
Happy days and can't wait to get him out there.
Old 17-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Egg

Hi David,
I am also slowly trimming the weight on my female. She is from as Spain. Hunts at 1, 9 rising gradually over the season to 1, 10 and a bit. She is very quick indeed.
She is very wed to rabbit and pheasant. This year I,d really like to focus on Corvus and magpies thought out.
I was intrigued when you wrote about a big feed on Corvid between days of reduced rations for your male.

What sequence do you use. Is the meat cold or freshly shot. Do you give carcass while he is still being reclaimed.

I am using one washed doc a day to bring down weight in her this evening she showed less fear.

I am trying to get the right things in place while her mind is at its most open at the beginning of reclaim process and through to early season hunting.

Lots of questions. I hope ok.

Many thanks. Edward
Old 18-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Brancher

Hi Edward

You will need to show some pics of your female.

During the moult, any carcasses fed have been frozen.
It kills parasites and can also reduce transmission of some diseases.
The crows at this time of year are full of disgusting Flatflies.
During Spring and Summer he got a lot of quail,pigeon and corvid for his diet with occasional rabbit or DOC.

I am now feeding him DOC for a few days, then he gets a crow/jackdaw/pigeon, whatever I have in the freezer. The next day he has a fast day, then he goes back to DOC for a few days. I check the carcasses with a metal detector for any shot before feeding.
Once the tail feathers are completely down, I will feed him 2 DOC a day for a few days then take him up.
One year after doing this, I went into his aviary with a quail on my fist and I persuaded him to eat off the fist.
After a while I tried to take him outside, but he just started bating.
He was hungry, but not that hungry..LOL.
Old 18-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Egg

I flew a German female last season. She hunted at around 920 grams and took everything I wanted her to, can't wait to get back out with her.

I'm curious to hear from those with more experience than me, if they find much difference between flying a larger male from the Russian or Finnish subspecies, compared to flying a small German female?
Old 18-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
I flew a German female last season. She hunted at around 920 grams and took everything I wanted her to, can't wait to get back out with her.

I'm curious to hear from those with more experience than me, if they find much difference between flying a larger male from the Russian or Finnish subspecies, compared to flying a small German female?

Hi mate

Can I ask where you got her from?
Not many around these days.
Old 18-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Hi mate

Can I ask where you got her from?
Not many around these days.
She's a 2002 bird, on loan from a friend really, so not much help there unfortunately. Bred by Glyn Talbot if that's any help.

She did lay this year however, so we were thinking about trying to find her a mate next year, hopefully a Greman male if we can find one.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Brancher

Have you or your friend ever bred goshawks before?
I'm not being cheeky.
I have a German male but I wouldn't risk him with an inexperienced breeder.
Too many males have been killed by the female if allowed in together at the wrong time.
Old 19-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Have you or your friend ever bred goshawks before?
I'm not being cheeky.
I have a German male but I wouldn't risk him with an inexperienced breeder.
Too many males have been killed by the female if allowed in together at the wrong time.
Yeah, he's got a pretty big breeding program, but like I said it's just a thought at the moment, nothing really planned.
Old 19-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Passage

Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91731