Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 29-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

Default Rhd in your area

Yet another season where the rabbit population in my patch is drying up more quickly than I can count, night time produces pockets of them but still no where near the scale it once was four years ago. fox count has doubled so the young have been easy pickings but this does not account for the high decline . your area ?
Any changes ? . old conversation / post ,but I am just interested in the current situation and how widespread it has affected.
Old 29-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Passage

Default Re: Rhd in your area

Rabbit numbers are very poor here in Devon, like you say there are a few pockets of them, but nowhere mere the numbers we had 10 years ago, they haven't recovered since the numbers crashed then. We drove 3000 acres lamping on Tuesday night and I bet we saw less than 20 rabbits, there is a few on the golf course where I live, but even the have mixy allready. Atb Chris
Old 29-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Very poor around here also to the point I would dread starting a young Hawk off as there is simply no easy slips available. Not many years ago you could guarantee a kill. For example when I got Spike in 2009 I let him catch close on 50 Rabbits before I showed him any feather, I doubt I have even seen 50 Rabbits in the last 4 years, didn't even catch one last season. Pretty depressing really. It even effects being able to get permission as when you ask local Farmers if you can gain access to fly Rabbits on their land they say it's not necessary as they have not even seen one for many months.
Old 29-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

thats a lot of land with only 20 odd , I have roughly the same amount of usable land on the farm and numbers are the same ish. I even stopped shooting them this year , trying to preserve them for this season but to no avail.

I have land available further afield steve but numbers also lack. asking for new permissions as you say is pointless.
Old 29-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Doug Tricker
Passage

It's the same story here in the south, Hampshire and West Sussex have been badly hit. Rabbit hawking is fast becoming a thing of the past, and this is bad news particularly for those breeding and/or flying Redtails since these are predominantly rabbit hawks. Squirrels are not really a substitute and only female Reds that are entered and kept solely for hares will continue to take this difficult quarry and of course you need access to good hare ground at least 5 days per week to make a good Hare Hawk. Hares themselves are much scarcer in many parts of the country than 20 years ago due to chemical farming, so rodent hawks like the Redtail will soon have very little value.
Old 29-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Brancher

There is very few rabbits on my permissions up here in Scotland.
Used to have loads of farms where you could guarantee getting a good few slips. Not anymore.
Old 29-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned
Passage

Is it down to rhd? There are a lot more buzzards around these days and no doubt they will take a fair few. I saw 11 soaring together. 30 years ago I wouldn’t see that many in a year.
Old 30-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Is it down to rhd? There are a lot more buzzards around these days and no doubt they will take a fair few. I saw 11 soaring together. 30 years ago I wouldn’t see that many in a year.
We never used to see Buzzards at all in Essex 10 or 15 years ago, multiple sightings per day is the norm now. I have also noticed a sharp decline in Moorhens also, they used to be an absolute pain on most of the land I go on, haven't seen one of my them for a long time either, the countryside is definitely changing around me and not for the better.
Old 30-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
We never used to see Buzzards at all in Essex 10 or 15 years ago, multiple sightings per day is the norm now. I have also noticed a sharp decline in Moorhens also, they used to be an absolute pain on most of the land I go on, haven't seen one of my them for a long time either, the countryside is definitely changing around me and not for the better.
Even rats have declined. I used to see them quite often near water but haven’t seen one for a long time. Maybe they’ve just gotten smarter
Old 30-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Egg

Same in my area, walking about on Wednesday no new holes plenty of buzzard no prey pluse to many dog walkers all over.